does food taste good with less salt & no MSG

does food taste good with less salt and no MSG?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Well, u can always substitute salt with soya sauce or fish sauce. I haven't included msg for a very very long time in my dishes and initially it will be a lil different on the taste but over time, the taste will grow on you. MSG is unhealthy!!! :p

Its the same with soy sauce. You need to control the amount you consume. Soy sauce contains sodium too. That's why it tastes salty. If you realised, most, if not all, labels would list the sodium content. That's the figure you would want to take note of. :)

Last edited:
definitely no for me... i prefer stronger taste food... i only eat bland food when i am sick :embrass:

Well, its all about moderation, I'd say, about salt content. Btw, you can get cramps (foot, leg etc) more easily if you have a low salt content in your body, I think. A few times kana in my sleep when I was stretching to a new position and was badly woken up with a crappy painful foot cramp. Ouch!

The link to leg cramps at night and level of sodium can be found at http://www.digitalnaturopath.com/cond/C466089.html

Too much is bad, too little is oso bad. Moderation is the key. ;)

But MSG can be cut off entirely. :)

Actually, we don't have to supplment our diet with sodium rich food. Unless you have been intentionally controlling your sodium intake strictly or exercising a lot, most of us would have more than sufficient sodium intake daily.

As for cramps, take note of the other important electrolytes too - calcium, potassium and magnesium. Its more likely you're lacking one of these if you haven't been exercising a lot or controlling your sodium intake.

Well, its all about moderation, I'd say, about salt content. Btw, you can get cramps (foot, leg etc) more easily if you have a low salt content in your body, I think. A few times kana in my sleep when I was stretching to a new position and was badly woken up with a crappy painful foot cramp. Ouch!

The link to leg cramps at night and level of sodium can be found at http://www.digitalnaturopath.com/cond/C466089.html

Too much is bad, too little is oso bad. Moderation is the key. ;)

But MSG can be cut off entirely. :)

Ya, happened to me before. The pain was a helpless kind. Especially if it cramps on your calf muscles(lower leg). Sometimes that extreme till it forces your tears to come out. Sad :cry:

actually salt is worst than msg , link here :

http://www.menshealth.com.sg/weight...-glutamate-(msg)-actually-worse-regular-salt?

if lazy to click :

Actually, MSG can be a better alternative to salt in keeping your sodium intake low. Monosodium glutamate (MSG) consists of naturally-found compounds called glutamic acid and sodium. Glutamic acid is an amino acid, a building block of protein that is used to enhance the flavour of food. This is why foods containing glutamic acid, such as mushroom, are naturally flavourful.

Sodium is naturally found in foods, salt and sauces, and it helps maintain a healthy blood pressure. However, high sodium diet is associated with increased risks of high blood pressure. So, taken in small amounts, MSG in the diet does not pose health risks. In fact, MSG actually contains lesser sodium than regular salt, and can be used in food as a salt alternative.

another link here :

http://www.asiaone.com/Health/Eat+Right/Story/A1Story20080225-51282.html

so dont scare ok? msg is ok one.

lot of old folks said msg no good. but they were all wrong. just like my teacher said the Earth is round.

btw, i want to do a full body health check, is SATA cheaper or polyclinic cheaper?

Last edited:
I did not read thr all the post but i voted for YES!!

If you tried baby food you will know that its really tasty.
Baby below aged of 1 or even till toddler, parents should not feed them with food of overly explosive taste and hence more recommended to take porridge, steam vege + fish etc etc etc ....

(it goes down to the effort that the parents want to put in as well lah some kids really eat superbly bland food i should say.)

... Anyway try making porridge with a piece of chix breast meat Or some lean pork ... cook till porridge turned congee ... .its super yummy and tasty lor ..

If really wan just ate a pinch of salt to bring out the sweetness of the chix taste inside the porridge.

Adding some broccoli carrot spinach potato, it would be a healthy meal then ...

without too much salt, msg etc ... food still can taste great.

But then ultimately, the tips here is - know your limits ... thats all.
health belongs to yourself ... you wanna over indulge in something, someway or another there will be pay back ...

I love fatty oily meats .... (this is my indulge) .. so ... i need to exercise them off lor.
in terms of health, my family members all had High blood back ground so i need to manage all these facts together with my occasional unhealthy food intake to balance them off... .

Still i wanna say without salt and msg, when u know how to make use of the ingredients u had with you , food still can be tasty.

actually salt is worst than msg , link here :

http://www.menshealth.com.sg/weight...-glutamate-(msg)-actually-worse-regular-salt?

so dont scare ok? msg is ok one.

lot of old folks said msg no good. but they were all wrong. just like my teacher said the Earth is round.

btw, i want to do a full body health check, is SATA cheaper or polyclinic cheaper?

i think old folks say msg is not good coz last time they cook with a lot of msg.
when my granny is still alive i see her cooking the msg powder is like ... no need $$ one leh.

It's like photography.
Shoot first preview later (As long as photo is good)
Eat first doctor later (As long as food is good)

why is msg bad for health?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monosodium_glutamate#Health_concerns

so far it just seems to be rumors only and not much concrete proof on how the chemical compound affects the humans...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glutamic_acid_(flavor)#Research_into_health_effects
In the 2004 version of his book, On Food and Cooking, noted food scientist Harold McGee states, "[after many studies], toxicologists have concluded that MSG is a harmless ingredient for most people, even in large amounts." (p. 342)

and btw, it is also nice to note, chinese keep popping up in reporting the damage etc etc in all the research so far. i'm suspecting there is more that meets the eyes

pls correct me if i'm wrong ok? i wanna learn more too. maybe i missed out some info also

Last edited:
act. (from what i feels) those health advise were based on a group of people (eg Westerners who consumes salt like hell through fast food) per se. No advisory can work for all 'species' of humans.

I once went to cheng de in northern china which food is probably saturated with salt but people there loves them and live long too (and not to mention my female tour guide who has a look to die for).

So why not just choose your prefered taste and ENJOY YOUR FOOD?!

Having lived in the U.S.A. from the MSG craze to the MSG (almost) ban, people ask to make sure it's not used because there are many people with allergies. Other sodium is high, though, as you say, in fast food and often in frozen prepared food. Lots of people take magic pills to counteract the sodium.

Every day, they seem to remove something from the food here. MSG isn't much of a concern but TransFat is the latest to be going away.

Nowadays even Poka brand cup noodles have big letters "No MSG Used" on their packaging but read the ingrediants list and found out they use another ingrediant that is substitute for MSG.

There's not scientific studies conducted that relate MSG to the loss of hair, but I can't help but notice that the crows that crowd around coffeeshop eating the scrap of food happen to be bald at the head....

I am definitely against MSG. I rather take my time to make my own stock, if needed to make any sauce or soup. However, I have a passion for salt, not ordinary salt but Mediterranean sea salt. Sea salt taste different, it is not intensely salty like normal table salt but has an 'oomp' to it.

I feel that food tastes best w/o MSG.. but provided it is cooked properly with quality ingredients of sufficient quantity.

MSG is just lazy profit-seeking hawker's tool where it's uses is frequently abused.

Last edited:
NO MSG for me and it can taste better than the restaurant ones.

I think my friends can vouch on the above statements too.

Salt is ok. food without salt is tasteless. i tried eating saltless fries before and just one exp i didnt like it cos it was tasteless. MSG is a big nono:nono:. it has a strangly sweet aftertaste.