Do you use your DOF preview?

Status
Not open for further replies.

YqArts

Oct 20, 2008
Hougang
www.flickr.com
Hey guys, I think every canon dslr has the feature of DOF preview, but do you use them?
Cause one problem is that the View Finder turns really dark when you close down the aperture.

Any particular tips to using them? Or just use Live View for ease sake ? :D

Yes I do, sometimes. Generally, I don't use it at f/11 or f/16, but I do use it at slightly larger, but stopped down f/stops such as f/5.6.

Yes I do, sometimes. Generally, I don't use it at f/11 or f/16, but I do use it at slightly larger, but stopped down f/stops such as f/5.6.

Alright noted =) Think i should practise more using them rather than trying to hit and miss.

Hey guys, I think every canon dslr has the feature of DOF preview, but do you use them?
Cause one problem is that the View Finder turns really dark when you close down the aperture.

Any particular tips to using them? Or just use Live View for ease sake ? :D
Yes I do. Like what bro calebk do too, I usually use at brighter f-stops (ie ≤f8).

hi calebk, when using the DOF it gets really dark and you can't really see the DOF right? even at say 5.6 its brighter than f11 or f16 but it still is dark mah ... pls enlighten me ... or shall i say what do u usually use it for ?

hi calebk, when using the DOF it gets really dark and you can't really see the DOF right? even at say 5.6 its brighter than f11 or f16 but it still is dark mah ... pls enlighten me ... or shall i say what do u usually use it for ?
Is to check out the depth of field to see if the range of "in focus" can cover what you have in mind in the picture. Might not be that useful for DSLR since you can view the pic taken immediately, but in the film era, DOF is a damn useful tool.

what/where's the dof button??? :bsmilie:

Hardly use it due to the position of the button.

Use it to check whether the lens aperture blade got stuck or not... ;p

Yeah, i do use it at times. For the kit lens aperture range. Pretty useful, give you a clue to how your picture might turn out.

gman

for me, i love mostly macro shots, so i guess in that context its quite useless lol.. cause i have to get really small aperture :sweat: 2mm at f16! gosh :rolleyes:

for me, i love mostly macro shots, so i guess in that context its quite useless lol.. cause i have to get really small aperture :sweat: 2mm at f16! gosh :rolleyes:

i shoot macro too and i use the DOF preview very often. u get a much better idea of whether your subject will be sharp or not. if you wan the entire insect to be in focus this is a great tool to help decide on the lowest f stop to use to achieve that. having said that, i usually shoot at maximum f11, any higher and the diffraction becomes an issue.

Use it all the time:) Mostly for landscape shots

When u hold the camera using your hand facing to the front, it is the button at the left bottom at the front of the camera.

when u press, you can see that the lense blade contracts according to the f stop.

what/where's the dof button??? :bsmilie:

Hardly use it due to the position of the button.

When u hold the camera using your hand facing to the front, it is the button at the left bottom at the front of the camera.

when u press, you can see that the lense blade contracts according to the f stop.

But if I press that button on my camera, the lens will drop ... :bsmilie:

Sorry TS, I too much OT already.

I seldom use DOF preview button.

Oh... if i press that button, the flash will pop up.

no, the button doesnt have any symbols printed on it...its on the lens mount. if u look at the camera from the front, its at the 4 o'clock position.

Status
Not open for further replies.