DIY project : How to make a 6x17 wood camera

zguy

Jan 10, 2003
Singapore
www.sgwetplate.com

I have used my DIY 6x17 camera in 2 outings and the result are getting acceptable (at least to me ). So I thought I share my thoughts on how to make one for those who are interested.

Basic woodmaking skills are required. Else i suggest you work with black foam board available from Art Friend. Assuming that you have the lens and tools, the other materials will cost you less than $30. You just need time and patience.

tools that you will need

1. power drill
2. jigsaw / handsaw
3. file
4. Smoothing plane
5. vice or various clamps
6. Steel rule
7. pencil

Materials

1. Wood for Body
2. Plywood for lens boards
3. Glue
4. Stick on felt
5. PCB mounting feet
6. knobs
7. wood dowels
8. Foam boards
9. Large format wide angle lens. i am using a Nikkor W 100mm lens.

1. Box Dimensions : As this is a single focus(at infinity) camera , we need to find out the flange focal distance (FFD). FFD is the distance from front of the lensboard (or back of the shutter) to the film plane when the lens is focused on infinity. You can get it from lens specs. For my lens , it is about 10cm. This is the most important measurement. You work out your box dimensions based on the FFD and saw your work pieces to size.

My woodmaking skills are limited. So i use butt joint and glue the pieces together.

Last edited:
2. The Spools mechanism. There isn't much here but this could take a while to align and finetune. I use the PCB mounting feet as the base that holds the film spool. The top is made from wood dowels and and knob. Ensure the top part can be lifted high enough with allowance for the the spool to be loaded and unloaded.

To add in photo later.

3. The back. You can see the back has a foam board glue on it. The board will press on the film when close to ensure the film is flat. There is a also a peep hole so that I can see the frame numbers on the film backing paper when winding the film. I use 2 drawer locks(is that what they are called) to secure it to the box but you can always think of other methods.

4. The lensboard is 3-4mm thick. it must be thin enough for the lens to be mounted on the lens rear screw thread but thick enough to support the lens.

5. Tripod hole. Drill a hole using a paddle drill bit. It should be deep enough to hold the nut. Glue the tripod nut into the hole. I did a bad job here but still usable.

6. Lightproof : Paint all the interior with black paint. Paste the stick on felt on joints in the interior. Felt is very useful to prevent leaks so I lined up all the edges with felt.

Last edited:
Great job, do you plan to use plastic material.....

very nicely done!
which film do you use (120 film I guess) ?

How do you frame? Do u use a view finder or is it agaration?

knight84, use it for your model shoot!!!

if zguy is coming why not!!

only need to figure out the framing and the focusing( since lens focuses to infinity only!

i agar agar for now. it usually works since it is so wide. only the top and bottom is harder to get it right as seen here :

will building a frame view finder work?

i agar agar for now. it usually works since it is so wide. only the top and bottom is harder to get it right as seen here :

bro, there is a no. marking on the back of 120mm film.

If you are shooting 6x17, just align the markings to 2, 5, 8 , 11 and you should be able to get absolute accurate framing every time.

close the window after you achieved the desired advance, and you should be good to go.

Billy

will building a frame view finder work?

yes..external viewfinders are available on ebay for $100 plus but again will not be 100% accurate. This guy uses a video camera wide angle adapter lens to construct a viewfinder : diy 6x17 camera view finder and pressure plate

my models :

lkkang - we are referring to the image composition and framing of subjects :p
The film frame advancing part i have used the same method as you suggested but my peep hole is on the left so i use frame 4,8,12 and 16. :)

didn't realise this thread existed... sticking it up for everyone to reference and if possible, share your DIY MF/LF cameras too! :)

thanks for making it a sticky.
I have recently made another one using better wood and using brass for the winding knobs.

This image below was taken using the above camera as a test to check for light leaks.
dragonplayground-2.jpg

thanks for making it a sticky.
I have recently made another one using better wood and using brass for the winding knobs.

This image below was taken using the above camera as a test to check for light leaks.
dragonplayground-2.jpg

I think you can start making it for sale soon... nice craft too...