Direct focus to sun?

Status
Not open for further replies.
anyway, I shot countless of studio portrait in white b/g, I deliberately overexposed the white till it flash highlight, if it is so damaging, my cameras will be all long gone.

If the sensor is ever damaged due to sun, it'd likely be because of heat focused on the sensor rather than the light, wouldn't it?

TS if you could look at the sun for long enough, it couldn't have been very hot or very bright.

If the sensor is ever damaged due to sun, it'd likely be because of heat focused on the sensor rather than the light, wouldn't it?

The difference between "heat" and "light" here ... is just wave length.

The difference between "heat" and "light" here ... is just wave length.

Let me focus the sun through a big lens on your hand, you'll see how the difference of "just wavelength" matters.

Last edited:
u can try the most silly things with ur cam. u try setting ur iso at the highest , for mine 3200, shutter 30 sec and use ur furthest lens, for me , my 70- 300 lens and zoom into 300 and setting ur f/ number to the lowest. it may spoil ur cam but i dun wanna try. i am not that silly as a dslr cost me sgd 1kplusplusplus and i am not gonna throw my money into the drain unless i am those type of rich guy that can earn millions in a month. well those guy can put this to the test, but for me no!

well, if you point your camera at the sun long enough, it may burn a hole on your shutter, as such, you don't even have a change to damage sensor at all. :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

so far, we have seen many people do silly things to their cameras, and post the photos all over internet, but yet to heard of, or see anyone post a photo of camera sensor damage by shooting sunrise sunset.

u can try the most silly things with ur cam. u try setting ur iso at the highest , for mine 3200, shutter 30 sec and use ur furthest lens, for me , my 70- 300 lens and zoom into 300 and setting ur f/ number to the lowest. it may spoil ur cam but i dun wanna try. i am not that silly as a dslr cost me sgd 1kplusplusplus and i am not gonna throw my money into the drain unless i am those type of rich guy that can earn millions in a month. well those guy can put this to the test, but for me no!
best way of protecting your camera is keep inside dry cabinet, so you need not to worry about anythings.

best way of protecting your camera is keep inside dry cabinet, so you need not to worry about anythings.

best way to protect your money is not to buy camera at all :bsmilie:

Let me focus the sun through a big lens on your hand, you'll see how the difference of "just wavelength" matters.

Have been absent during Physics lessons? No worries, Wikipedia helps :)

Last edited:
Have been absent during Physics lessons? No worries, Wikipedia helps :)

so, you agree to my experiment right? First, we focus a very bright light to your hand and see if that hurts. If it doesn't, then, sunlight. Since all are waves, that shouldn't hurt either eh? Yes or No?

In case you were not aware, or you dropped out of the Physics class at this point, different bands of EM radiation work differently on different stuff. That's why heat sensitive electronics don't necessarily get affected by light or camera sensors are not sensitive to short wave radio. Don't just bring out useless academic trivia that everyone knows in primary school without any consideration on practical possibilities.

Last edited:
its not the duration, but the intensity that matters. you can leave it pointed at the sun as long as it is not focused onto your sensor. pretty much like frying ants with a magnifying glass. you can wave it over the ants as long as you want, but if the light is focused, that's when it does damage.

i've read on fredmiranda forums of someone frying the mirror box because he left the camera+lens on the table, which happened to be pointing up at the sun. turns out it was focused nicely to cause damage to the camera. and it was only for a couple of minutes or less!

sunrises and sunsets are probably less likely to do that, as the sun is physically further away and less intense. i base this on 10 seconds of thinking at 1.40am after booking my maldives air tickets on SQ for $566 per person, and no hard science, so i may be wrong.

happy like bird
((=

Status
Not open for further replies.