Did anyone get a call from Starhub to change modem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think they are desperate - and the more desperate they are, the more I suspect it will be to their benefit and not mine if I change it.

The only problem is that there is a term in the T&Cs which says that you are supposed to give them access to the modem if they want to do any software upgrade or whatever maintenance.

U can give them access to your modem only at ur convienence.

I've been using my Motorola modem since the year 2000 and SH has never contacted me asking to change to a new modem.

U can give them access to your modem only at ur convienence.

I believe by access, they mean access to the modem thru cable link.. meaning they can change settings, reboot etc from their side.

Anyway, i called their helpline and the had a recorded msg telling people to try connecting direct without wireless router if they are facing problems.. so i have reason to believe they are having widespread problems. I too had the free upgrade to this router from the terayon.

Don't change.. i suspect they can't throttle the speed or do some settings to their advantage with your current modem, hence, the urgency for them to change.

That helpline message has been there since eons ago. Anyway I connect direct so I don't have router issues.

I also have the same suspicion as you so I'm not changing. Right now I'm just ignoring their calls.

I believe this recent "change" we are talking about only applies to the 100mbps plans.

I believe by access, they mean access to the modem thru cable link.. meaning they can change settings, reboot etc from their side.

Anyway, i called their helpline and the had a recorded msg telling people to try connecting direct without wireless router if they are facing problems.. so i have reason to believe they are having widespread problems. I too had the free upgrade to this router from the terayon.

Don't change.. i suspect they can't throttle the speed or do some settings to their advantage with your current modem, hence, the urgency for them to change.

I think they are desperate - and the more desperate they are, the more I suspect it will be to their benefit and not mine if I change it.

The only problem is that there is a term in the T&Cs which says that you are supposed to give them access to the modem if they want to do any software upgrade or whatever maintenance.
BTW, by that T&C thing (gosh! U really love to read T&C huh?) what Starhub actually does for software upgrade & maintainance is to simply push the config/installation file to your modem via the cable link.

Its all done transparently so even if they wanna do something (like u'd imagined "limit ur speed"), they would have done it long ago without even the need to call u and making it seem like hard-sell. :bsmilie:

With all those attractive offers and competition Singnet is offering for their ADSL line, and assuming IF Singnet is going to push out even faster lines at a very competitive price to Starhub, my best guess is, with the modem swap offer u'd be tied for abt 1.5yrs to 2yrs even if they carry out the swap FOC.

P/S: They might have tapping bugs in the new modem to spy on ur entire family u know? :eek:

I only read the T&C because of this specific issue. "Access" is vague and can include physical access, unlike the meaning you have attributed to it - that said, we will only know if there is judicial interpretation of that term.

As for your implications of paranoia, all I can say is there seems to be the vast majority of users with slower download/upload speeds reported so far (with only one exception) from what I've read (which was after the posting of this thread) after they changed the modem. Whether or not there's any real conspiracy is anyone's guess - why would I want to risk it however?

Also, why is SH trying so much of a hard sell. If it is really my problem, I would call them and not the other way around, especially after I rejected the offer initially.

Contrary to what you suggested, there are no conditions or additional lock-in periods attached to the swapping of the modem.

BTW, by that T&C thing (gosh! U really love to read T&C huh?) what Starhub actually does for software upgrade & maintainance is to simply push the config/installation file to your modem via the cable link.

Its all done transparently so even if they wanna do something (like u'd imagined "limit ur speed"), they would have done it long ago without even the need to call u and making it seem like hard-sell. :bsmilie:

With all those attractive offers and competition Singnet is offering for their ADSL line, and assuming IF Singnet is going to push out even faster lines at a very competitive price to Starhub, my best guess is, with the modem swap offer u'd be tied for abt 1.5yrs to 2yrs even if they carry out the swap FOC.

P/S: They might have tapping bugs in the new modem to spy on ur entire family u know? :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.