Dell Ultrasharp U2711 27" IPS LCD Monitor

how come? i thought the wider the gamut the better for photoediting? of course for web , wide gamut is useless... wide gamut is more for those high end printer..
If you have a good knowledge on colour management and together with a proper workflow and tools, only then will the wide gamut monitor can be useful if your final output requires it. For most general photo editing, a normal IPS or S-PVA LCD panel with proper monitor calibration and profile can do the job well.

I have the Dell U2410 which is a wide gamut monitor. It gave me a lot of problems trying to get the colours right. Took me a few months of reading to finally nail down the problem. If you like troubleshooting, I guess it shouldn't be a problem. Cheers!

If you have a good knowledge on colour management and together with a proper workflow and tools, only then will the wide gamut monitor can be useful if your final output requires it. For most general photo editing, a normal IPS or S-PVA LCD panel with proper monitor calibration and profile can do the job well.

I have the Dell U2410 which is a wide gamut monitor. It gave me a lot of problems trying to get the colours right. Took me a few months of reading to finally nail down the problem. If you like troubleshooting, I guess it shouldn't be a problem. Cheers!

Kindly share what is the exact problem faced with wide gamut monitors and what are the steps involved to calibrate it.

i agree with u. and my work stuff gets printed by other people and they don't really practice good color management. so i am not too anal abt it. i just try to get it as right as i can from the previous stuff printed.

i will spend more time on it if i am doing my own printing though.

Kindly share what is the exact problem faced with wide gamut monitors and what are the steps involved to calibrate it.
Getting the colours right is almost impossible if you don't have the latest calibration tools due to its wide gamut nature. I've had to pay another 420 bucks to get a decent calibration unit (Eyeone Display 2) to get nail down the problem. On top of that, the Dell U2410 has too much green by default. Don't ask me why. I had to go into factory controls to reduce the green further.

For further reading, go here: http://photo.net/digital-darkroom-forum/00RUHP

Last edited:
Getting the colours right is almost impossible if you don't have the latest calibration tools due to its wide gamut nature. I've had to pay another 420 bucks to get a decent calibration unit (Eyeone Display 2) to get nail down the problem. On top of that, the Dell U2410 has too much green by default. Don't ask me why. I had to go into factory controls to reduce the green further.

For further reading, go here: http://photo.net/digital-darkroom-forum/00RUHP

wow! tks alot really .... this advice is very valuable...

in fact i did consider the wide gamut one... but i am not very willing to spend on calibration device...

tks alot... really appreciate it..

Thanks for the info. Another question. When you apply a colour profile to a PC, does it affect all the applications on the PC or it only affects those that support colour profiling. For example, the colours in photoshop and that of DPP and that of Microsoft powerpoint will be the same?

wow! tks alot really .... this advice is very valuable...

in fact i did consider the wide gamut one... but i am not very willing to spend on calibration device...

tks alot... really appreciate it..

get it if u need to print your work. if its mainly online viewing and on monitors, it doesn't really matter since it won't be view on your monitor.

get it if u need to print your work. if its mainly online viewing and on monitors, it doesn't really matter since it won't be view on your monitor.

actually if one is using a wide gamut monitor, the working color space should be prophoto right? or it should be prophoto working space no matter what monitor we r using?

if our camera is set to AdobeRGB, but monitor supports only 100% sRGB, what will be the consequence?

i still don't know what is the reason for using a wide gamut monitor if one need to print.. is it bcos the printer color space is larger than sRGB?

all this color thing making me blur...

;p

Thanks for the info. Another question. When you apply a colour profile to a PC, does it affect all the applications on the PC or it only affects those that support colour profiling. For example, the colours in photoshop and that of DPP and that of Microsoft powerpoint will be the same?
It only affects applications that is colour managed. For those apps that don't have this feature, you will tend to see oversaturated colours. If you want to know more, read here: http://www.color.org/version4html.xalter

I am not sure if Microsoft Office is a colour managed program. You can try this, put an image with an Adobe RGB colour space into MS Word and compare it when you open an image in Photoshop. If it looks different, then most likely it isn't color managed.

Hope that helps.

actually if one is using a wide gamut monitor, the working color space should be prophoto right? or it should be prophoto working space no matter what monitor we r using?

if our camera is set to AdobeRGB, but monitor supports only 100% sRGB, what will be the consequence?

i still don't know what is the reason for using a wide gamut monitor if one need to print.. is it bcos the printer color space is larger than sRGB?

;p
Time to do some reading up. Colour management is one hell of a topic to master. I would suggest to head down to the library and get some books to read. Take your time to understand it because its going to be a long ride. Once you grasp it, see how it can affect your everyday work. Cheers!

Time to do some reading up. Colour management is one hell of a topic to master. I would suggest to head down to the library and get some books to read. Take your time to understand it because its going to be a long ride. Once you grasp it, see how it can affect your everyday work. Cheers!

And after reading plus a dozen of panadol you will realize that you need to spend a bomb to get industrial standard :bsmilie:

After setting up a so-called industrial standard monitor you will soon enter into the world of printer profiles. Another dozen of panadol are required as well.

Nightmares might come when you send your digital images to some auto-run photo-lab for printing :bsmilie:

;p

as suggested, get some books from the library to read up. there are a few good ones u can get there on color management. its not about getting it 100% right.

And after reading plus a dozen of panadol you will realize that you need to spend a bomb to get industrial standard :bsmilie:

After setting up a so-called industrial standard monitor you will soon enter into the world of printer profiles. Another dozen of panadol are required as well.

Nightmares might come when you send your digital images to some auto-run photo-lab for printing :bsmilie:

how true. my wife sent some family snaps to be printed at those machines and i was like freaking out when i saw the pics. :sweat:

I got this screen during the promotion as well, using this on my Sony laptop as a secondary screen.

Can I check with you guys, is it possible to calibrate the laptop screen and this monitor screen separately? When I was using an older laptop with a different screen, I could only set the color profile for the main laptop screen and not for the separate monitor. But I was using a very basic/cheap calibration device then.

Hey, just to check on how you guys are hooking up the monitor to MacBooks.

I have a MacBook Pro (mini DP) and I thought of using a mini-DP to DP cable for the connection. Does anyone knows where to buy such cable? It's available online tho.

I don't fancy the idea of dongles, unless it is the best way around it. Cheers.

I bought the dongle online (http://store.apple.com/sg/product/MB571Z/A?fnode=MTY1NDA5OQ&mco=MTA4MzU1ODY) S$158
It works fine, except occasionally need to replug the cable becos screen noise...this is probably the only way to get the max resolution to work.

But it's a challenge to get the color right (as close to mac's lcd) even with spyderPro3...anyone having this issue? Care to share if you have overcome that? Thanks.

Hey, just to check on how you guys are hooking up the monitor to MacBooks.

I have a MacBook Pro (mini DP) and I thought of using a mini-DP to DP cable for the connection. Does anyone knows where to buy such cable? It's available online tho.

I don't fancy the idea of dongles, unless it is the best way around it. Cheers.

I went ahead and bought 4 pcs of the cable online. If anyone is keen, let me know.

I went ahead and bought 4 pcs of the cable online. If anyone is keen, let me know.

Also bought 2 of those cables. Well worth having a backup in case one fails. :)