Deep pocket = good photography?

This statement is an insult to thousands of photographers who have won photo competitions using cheap cameras :nono:

You failed to add the question mark in "deep pocket = good photography?" - an important omission that twisted my intention.

I agree with the first part of what you said. But can you name me examples of photographers with staying power (i.e., consistency) that use cheap gears? Also, those who won using cheap gears - did they stay with their cheap gears and continue to win or did they upgrade?

Looking from another perspective... a good photographer can repeatedly get you great pics with any kind of cameras (provided its working and photographer knows how to work it).

Looking yet from another perspective... if you doctor friend is one of a pair of twin and the twin brother uses a entry level camera instead. Should both of them give you the equally good pictrures... which will impress you more (on the skill of being a photographer). Surely not the frined with the Leica right?

This friend of mine is a AV and computer geek. He has even done wedding videos for a number of our friends. So while I have not seen his photos, I am very sure he is no idiot.

My question/comment is just as simple as it says: do you need deep pockets to do good photography? If so, how deep?

On a related note: I was talking to a sales person at Mee Too (in JB). And he told me that for commercial magazines, even the best DSLR is no longer acceptable - only medium and large format need apply. The ante seems to be going up and up.
this is a misconception.

commercial photography is not about good photography, is creating photographs has commercial value, fit for sale, always selling something.

and sellable photo is ≠ a good photo

now back to your question,
My question/comment is just as simple as it says: do you need deep pockets to do good photography? If so, how deep?
please re-read the post by Kit.

I have a friend who owns a Leica S2.
His photos are superb and he is a world class photographer who is rated as one of the world's top ten pictorial photographer at one time. His photographic titles & achievements filled half an A4 size page (really, I'm not kidding!)

Deep pocket = good photography? Yes.....and no.

When you operate at the highest level, you want and demand the best out of your tools. Can Beethoven 5th's be played on a toy piano? Certainly, but you get the best performance when a full orchestra plays it.
Can Michael Federer play tennis using a wooden racket? Certainly and he will whack my ass even if I used the latest high-tech super duper racket. But when he competes with the best of his peers, he will want every advantage he can get.

And I don't shut up and sigh when I talk to my photographer friend. In fact, I did borrow his Leica S2 once..at least for a few minutes :sweat:

Last edited:
I will take skill over equipment anytime, for instance you have 2 guys with the same equipment shooting the same subject under the same conditions, the guy with the better skills and technique still wins hand down.

I dare to say this because I am the one having the same gear with the other guy and he still comes out with better photos than I do..:angry::angry:

Can Michael Federer play tennis using a wooden racket? Certainly and he will whack my ass even if I used the latest high-tech super duper racket. But when he competes with the best of his peers, he will want every advantage he can get.

Nicely put...~ :thumbsup:

this is a misconception.

commercial photography is not about good photography, is creating photographs has commercial value, fit for sale, always selling something.

and sellable photo is ≠ a good photo

now back to your question, please re-read the post by Kit.

hi catchlights,

hope to hear your expert opinion on sellable photo is ≠ a good photo...

in cs's pnp section, i often see comments like , this is overexposed, underexpose... but i saw these "mistakes" (overexposed, underexpose...) in magazines...

so lately i have this idea, perhaps a good portrait is usually not a fashion portrait.. in a good (or should i say traditional or formal portrait) there are many rules.. but in fashion, they do not follow the rules strictly for sake of attractiveness...

i am not sure if this idea is correct or not....

anyway for me, there is only a good or bad photo... a good pic could be overexposed, but it is still better than a lousy correct pic... that's my view now ;p

look forward to the expert opinions of you and other gurus

I have a friend who owns a Leica S2.
His photos are superb and he is a world class photographer who is rated as one of the world's top ten pictorial photographer at one time. His photographic titles & achievements filled half an A4 size page (really, I'm not kidding!)

When you operate at the highest level, you want and demand the best out of your tools. Can Beethoven 5th's be played on a toy piano? Certainly, but you get the best performance when a full orchestra plays it.

And I don't shut up and sigh when I talk to my photographer friend. In fact, I did borrow his Leica S2 once..at least for a few minutes :sweat:

do u mind sharing his site ? or can u pm me if u think it is better this way... i always want to learn from great pg works... tks alot

this thread brings me memories of JJ lin + M9 + rather rampant oof photos due thin dof...

do u mind sharing jj lin's site? i tried google leh.. only manage to get his fb..

seems like celebrity likes small camera.. joanne peh also bough a leica...

On a related note: I was talking to a sales person at Mee Too (in JB). And he told me that for commercial magazines, even the best DSLR is no longer acceptable - only medium and large format need apply. The ante seems to be going up and up.

what type of equipment is used is dependant on the photographer and rarely the client. editorial clients are usually not particular abt the equipment used but the kind of work produced.

having said that, i am always fearful esp when new clients call me for enquiries. but the biggest worry is always the $$. :rolleyes:

You have seen his gears.. Have you seen his works?

You have seen his gears.. Have you seen his works?

just went there.. he likes to take pics... i think his shutter count is higher than mine... ;p

In Summary:

Good Photographer + Lousy Equipment = Good Photos
Good Photos = more projects = Deeper Pocket
Deeper pocket = Better Equipment.
Good Photographer + Better Equipment = Very Good Photos
Very Good Photos = even more projects = Very Deep Pocket
Very Deep pocket = Top Equipment.
Good Photographer + Top Equipment = Excellent Photos
Excellent Photos + experience + luck = Fame
Fame = Free top sponsored equipment = publish books = world tours = win awards = Test unreleased new equipment.

Lousy Photographer + Good Equipment = Lousy Photos
Lousy Photos + long time no improvement = BnS or Equipment collecter

Last edited: