Daylight Long Exposure help ... :(

your aperture and shutter speed is set as such that your metering is " Neutral " at the brightest area without ND filter ,
then u put the filter then u manually slows down the shutter speed by 10 stops ?

Sorry newbie here

that shot was without ND filter.

no, when i do test shot, i make sure the histogram is what i want it to be, the metering is easily fooled. pentax tends to underexpose by half a stop to one stop, so usually the metering will be roughly +0.5 or +1.0.

then yes, i put the filter, and make sure the focus is right, add 10 stops by myself... if beyond 30 seconds have to use bulb mode, then do the calculations, etc.

Dear Bros / Sis,
For long exposure using 10 stops filter..
step 1) Meter the scene without filter
step 2) Meter same scene with ND filter
Step 3) Take Picture .....

Question : ---> Step 1) Should metering done with the brightest area or the darkest area ?

:dunno: <---- Newbie

I ususally do matrix on the midtones (of the frame) and it has worked well so far..

And u shd compose first behind applying any of the above.

dun forget the most impt thing esp in daylight exposures (cover ur viewfinder to prevent lights coming from behind/above to intervene and mess up with ur metering during long exposures)

Thankz to all .. Will try and upload ... ASAP

I was asked an almost identical question yesterday.

I have never really bothered calculating my exposures. Reason being in long exposures, the ambient light is prone to changes and that will throw your prior calculations off its course, I suggest you start experimenting "blindly" and see what you get. Its not that difficult. Sometimes, both under and over exposures will yield very different (interesting) results. As time goes by, you'll get to know how long to expose by judging the ambient lighting.

Heh. I think part of the reason you can judge is because subconsciously, you're already adding the numbers up. That's why I suggested the x1000 exposure time, because as a newbie, that's what we all have to do.

Over time, mentally we already know whether 1000x will give not enough exposure or too much, so we also make a judgement call to add/reduce the exposure time (at least I do, in my head).

Generally I take a shot with camera deciding in Aperture mode, and then multiply, with up to +/- 50% of added time i.e. x500 or x1500 (especially if I need a highkey shot).