D90 User Group (Thread IV)

Status
Not open for further replies.
$16, TK sells that at the price. Very handy, while you're at it - don't forget MC-DC2 remote cord as well! Both have different functions actually.
whats the diff between the remote cord and the wireless shutter? i got the wireless shutter 2nd hand at 10 buckeroos..

Ouchies, that kind of setup must be at least 2 grand!... Nah..... no can do, I'm not that pro nor do I print $$$... but two flashes may look better than a single one right?....:think:

TK has the SB900, and from what I gathered, the price is higher now...can't remember zilch exactly the figure... close to 7 hundred I believe.

Anyway, back onto D90... are most of you still on the protector screen provided in the kit? If so, I'd recommend ditching it (keep it safe) and use the GGS screen protectors (two piece kinds). Highly recommended.
whats this GGS screen protector? why issit better than the hard piece of plastic screen protector?

TK has the SB900, and from what I gathered, the price is higher now...can't remember zilch exactly the figure... close to 7 hundred I believe.

Anyway, back onto D90... are most of you still on the protector screen provided in the kit? If so, I'd recommend ditching it (keep it safe) and use the GGS screen protectors (two piece kinds). Highly recommended.

ouch. so i think mostly are that price. think CP marina is 670..

any comment why to keep it safe for the protector?

Ouchies, that kind of setup must be at least 2 grand!... Nah..... no can do, I'm not that pro nor do I print $$$... but two flashes may look better than a single one right?....:think:

like that might as well get a proper ring light. but still also expensive. :sweat: yup, 2-light setup is better for R1C1 kit, eliminates one-sided shadows which become more prominent in the macro arena.

agree, i've ditched the plastic screen protector that came bundled with the d90 ages ago. now i can see clearer on the lcd screen how blur my shots are :bsmilie:

whats this GGS screen protector? why issit better than the hard piece of plastic screen protector?

for one, GSS is clear plastic compared to the nikon one that's a bit... white? (opaque? translucent? i'm not sure how to describe it, just that it's not that clear)

also, GSS comes with 2 screen protectors, one for the main 3" lcd at the back, another for the top lcd screen.

lastly, GSS is sleeker, thinner, and.. sexier(??) :bsmilie: thing about GSS is, you wouldn't even notice that it's there. how many of you looked at the back of your d90 and DIDN'T notice that white square thing smack in the middle? :sticktong

for one, GSS is clear plastic compared to the nikon one that's a bit... white? (opaque? translucent? i'm not sure how to describe it, just that it's not that clear)

also, GSS comes with 2 screen protectors, one for the main 3" lcd at the back, another for the top lcd screen.

lastly, GSS is sleeker, thinner, and.. sexier(??) :bsmilie: thing about GSS is, you wouldn't even notice that it's there. how many of you looked at the back of your d90 and DIDN'T notice that white square thing smack in the middle? :sticktong

whaha so how muchiee??

Haiz... :) looks like once in a blue moon we must do a GGS dance for the benefit of the group... The seniors passed the info to us, now we pass it on.

:cheergal::cheergal: Get the GGS two-screen packs!! Price wise should be around $30. If you go to OP, get the guy to install for you FOC - super clean job. (Not related to them just a satisfied buyer)

Last edited:
Haiz... :) looks like once in a blue moon we must do a GGS dance for the benefit of the group... The seniors passed the info to us, now we pass it on.

:cheergal::cheergal: Get the GGS two-screen packs!! Price wise should be around $30. If you go to OP, get the guy to install for you FOC - super clean job. (Not related to them just a satisfied buyer)

whats the 2 screen pack? the big lcd n the top small lcd?
after the screen protector stick for v long time, when wanna chg protector, will it leave the screen sticky?

If I were to purchase a D90 in the USA, would the battery charger be an issue? I suspect it's universal but just wanted to make sure of that.

whats the 2 screen pack? the big lcd n the top small lcd?
after the screen protector stick for v long time, when wanna chg protector, will it leave the screen sticky?

yup! Two piece type, 3 inch and the top right small screen. I think the above $16 version should be a single piece type.

The GGS screen will crack if you try to remove it, residues should be easily removable with wipe. GGS is plastic, the D90 screen should be glass - don't think it is easily scratched by plastic. That's why I'd recommend shop assistant to help you apply. If you wanna change it, buy another and get them to help you change. But so far I don't have the need to, my GGS screens are still scratch-less till this day...

yup! Two piece type, 3 inch and the top right small screen. I think the above $16 version should be a single piece type.

The GGS screen will crack if you try to remove it, residues should be easily removable with wipe. GGS is plastic, the D90 screen should be glass - don't think it is easily scratched by plastic. That's why I'd recommend shop assistant to help you apply. If you wanna change it, buy another and get them to help you change. But so far I don't have the need to, my GGS screens are still scratch-less till this day...

i see thks !

Recently bought 3 sets of GGS 2 screen packs at $18 each at TCW. Can just easily put it on the camera by oneself but must do it very fast, after ascertaining exact position, to avoid any dust easily getting in between. Just simply use 'goo gone' to clean & remove sticky residue if there are too much after removing GGS. I believe the GGS is part glass, same as LCD.

Changed a new LCD for D90 at NSC recently too at $33. So price difference is not that great compared to GGS. Wondered whether I should just leave LCD as is without GGS & then change it when scratched. But GGS looks & feel good & help to some extent so continue to use.

Recently bought 3 sets of GGS 2 screen packs at $18 each at TCW. Can just easily put it on the camera by oneself but must do it very fast, after ascertaining exact position, to avoid any dust easily getting in between. Just simply use 'goo gone' to clean & remove sticky residue if there are too much after removing GGS. I believe the GGS is part glass, same as LCD.

Changed a new LCD for D90 at NSC recently too at $33. So price difference is not that great compared to GGS. Wondered whether I should just leave LCD as is without GGS & then change it when scratched. But GGS looks & feel good & help to some extent so continue to use.

Well, that's cheap, good price! Well, I didn't have to do it myself, so no pressure from my end to get it properly installed. Point being, I don't think everyone's that pin-point accurate. Get it wrong, and you'll either have to live with a misaligned screen, or get it cracked by trying to re-adjust the protector... GGS is THAT brittle. ;)

Anyway, like you've said it's only $33 to get the LCD replaced at NSC. No need for GGS then! :D But would uncessary moisture seep through the crack or scratch on the exposed LCD? No accidental nose grease or oily fingers that you might accidentally rub through the crack? No chance of exposing the electronics inside to the elements? :D

Last edited:
Anyway, it is not a must to get the GGS. Install it yourself or get a pro to it (since he/she does it so many times already), or not put anything in front of the LCD at all (if you don't mind going all the way to NSC). It is entirely up to you guys. It's just a simple, highly recommended product used by a number of us. Btw, I believe there are other brands but not sure who offers them locally...

I just feel that the clunky piece of plastic that Nikon provides with the D90 is just too impeding... :bsmilie:

ouch. so i think mostly are that price. think CP marina is 670..

any comment why to keep it safe for the protector?

In case you plan on selling it as original and minty as possible... ;) Or you can always off load it in the B n S for extra cash... not much actually.

whats the diff between the remote cord and the wireless shutter? i got the wireless shutter 2nd hand at 10 buckeroos..

Remote cord works like your shutter button, helps you control the camera remotely when you don't want to touch your camera to prevent unecessary shakes - very crucial for some shoots. Wireless on the other hand, allows you to be further away from the cam (like when you do self-portraits). Neither can replace the specific function that each is meant to do. There are some overlapping purposes, and limitations of each. But I think depending on how you use your D90, you can get either or both.

To ALL

Lets keep the thread to D90 equipment discussion , ie the technicals, tips, questions on any technical, information on the peculiarity of the D90, even accessories compatibility with D90. In these way D90 users (new or old) can come to look for information, questions pertaining to their D90 camera or simply sharing info on D90, without having to shift out those "noises aka OTs"

Anything out of it keep it in Kopitaim. eg outing, banal talk. Some slacks and OT is ok

It will be good if you guys can self moderate.

Thank you

If I were to purchase a D90 in the USA, would the battery charger be an issue? I suspect it's universal but just wanted to make sure of that.

USA is 110V if i'm not wrong, so best make sure the back of the charger says input: 100-240V 50-60Hz. only then can you be sure it's universal. :D

Any particular reason why you want to purchase one in the USA? Is it that cheap there? Don't forget the GST involved, what now? 7% right? Secondly, if there are any issues (hot pixels, broken parts, problems, etc) you'd have to go back to them... Btw, Nikon DSLR bodies do not have international warranties. Just my two cents that's all, it's still your $$$. :)

P/S: Not trying to scare you off. While I don't think Nikon DSLR bodies are that fragile or that badly QCed, but you can never tell.

Last edited:
The charger itself is rated at 110V-240V 50-60Hz. However, the cable that comes with it is a USA 2 prong flat pins. You will have to buy an adapter for it. You can purchase the D90 at $750usd from Amazon.com. I got mine from there. Any cheaper and it will be a grey market stock. Means no warranty anywhere in the world. Also, buy the lenses in states also. Just get a receipt that is to your name and you can get international warranty (warranty in States for lenses is 5 years). Prices for the lenses are like buying 2nd hand in Singapore.

(Battery Chargers for Cameras have to be dual voltage right? If not, how are photographers going to have to travel the world? Just like your handphone chargers......)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.