D800 wide angle len options?

Oh yeah. Maybe that too...

I use the 24mm tilt-shift lens too. Very nifty, but sometimes not wide enough.

Hmm, have never used a tilt-shift lens before. Is it very troublesome to use a tilt-shift lens for panorama?

Tokina 12-24mm f4 can be used @19mm. Results is satisfactory, no need all super expensive lens that burns our wallets.

avsquare said:
Hmm, have never used a tilt-shift lens before. Is it very troublesome to use a tilt-shift lens for panorama?

I won't say it is terribly difficult, because options to alter the planes are still fairly limited. I am no expert at this either, just that I was fortunate enough to work on large format cameras and had some good guidance with some masters on altering the lens and film planes.

In any case, I have curiously never done any panoramas with that lens before. Still, I don't see the problem, except for being careful with the focus plane. That's all.

archon75 said:
Tokina 12-24mm f4 can be used @19mm. Results is satisfactory, no need all super expensive lens that burns our wallets.

May as well get the Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8. It is an effective 16mm FX prime lens. Heh.

Blur Shadow said:
May as well get the Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8. It is an effective 16mm FX prime lens. Heh.

Good idea an the zoom ring to be paste the gaffer tape

Found this info just now.. thgt it might be of interest. Though it talks abt D4, I think this MAY hold true for the D800 (do not quote me on this). Enjoy

according to DxOmark's scores for the D4, the following are the "top ten lenses" on this body (all delivering some of the top scores for any body+lens combination):

1 - Micro Nikkor 105mm f/2.8 @35
2 - Samyang 35mm f/1.4 @34
3 - Nikkor 85mm f/1.4 @33
4 - Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar 100mm f/2 @32
5 - Sigma 85mm f/1.4 @32
6 - Carl Zeiss Distagon T 35mm f/2 @32
7 - Nikkor 24mm f/1.4 @31
8 - Nikkor 85mm f/1.4 @31
9 - Samyang 85mm f/1.4 @31
10 - Carl Zeiss Distagon T 35mm f/1.4 @30

I agreed with Nikkor 24mm f1.4G as im using it with my D800.

I won't say it is terribly difficult, because options to alter the planes are still fairly limited. I am no expert at this either, just that I was fortunate enough to work on large format cameras and had some good guidance with some masters on altering the lens and film planes.

In any case, I have curiously never done any panoramas with that lens before. Still, I don't see the problem, except for being careful with the focus plane. That's all.

Cool. I have lots to learn from experience people like you. :)

avsquare said:
Cool. I have lots to learn from experience people like you. :)

Nah. We are all learning. Plus, I don't really use the lens that extensively. I really should use it more often.

I have a 11- 16mm for previous DX (D300s) Now i use it for my D800. I find the vignette quite irritating at 16mm due to the attached polarizing filter. Lucky D800 is a 36 MP, i can crop away the vignette around 4 corners. If not i can turn on the auto DX Crop function in D800 to fully utilise the 11mm if i need to.

Seems like there is no love for the 17-35 f2.8.....never got to try that, but reviews have been mixed on this lens. Any actual user comment? :think:

wolfton said:
Seems like there is no love for the 17-35 f2.8.....never got to try that, but reviews have been mixed on this lens. Any actual user comment? :think:

The lens is reasonably sharp in the middle, but weak at the corners. The AF-S motor is fairly notorious for failing.

Otherwise, it is a good lens for the price. (In HK, that is. Heard that It is going for a ridiculously high price in Singapore brand new)

The 17-35mm doing $1763 and the 16-35 going at $1667 .
Price include shipping to Singapore . But need to pay abit of gst .

The general choice now by many is the 16-35, seldom hear people choosing the 17-35 now.

I am thinking the 16-35 will make a better all round wide angle lens since is is sharper and have VR.

Price wise I think Nikonians here are fortunate, we can buy tax free just right across the causeway, and have warranty covered locally too :)

Kit said:
Items from overseas are taxable. You might be lucky to slip through the net but technically, you are evading taxes.

Oops ok lol :)

Kit said:
Items from overseas are taxable. You might be lucky to slip through the net but technically, you are evading taxes.

No one needs to know! Hahaha... But true.

The lens is reasonably sharp in the middle, but weak at the corners. The AF-S motor is fairly notorious for failing.

Otherwise, it is a good lens for the price. (In HK, that is. Heard that It is going for a ridiculously high price in Singapore brand new)

I love mine, and end of day any AF-S motor can fail..... I do mis the smaller AF-D lenses because of this.

17-35 is one of the oldest AF-S lenses ( made for the D1 in 1999 ! ) as such has most long term history.... You'll see others doing the same if of same age.

I love mine, and end of day any AF-S motor can fail..... I do mis the smaller AF-D lenses because of this.

17-35 is one of the oldest AF-S lenses ( made for the D1 in 1999 ! ) as such has most long term history.... You'll see others doing the same if of same age.

Same... I love mine too.. It's my "go-to" lens... taken many good shots with that lens.. FYI, I had already replaced the SWM twice... If fact, after 2 years of use, I can hear the screw turning sound... As such, I don't think it's due to old age..