D800 wide angle len options?

There's a discussion on which is the sharpest wide angle on a D800. Some say these are the best out there:

For maximum sharpness, landscape wide angle lenses:
Distagon 21/2.8
Distagon 25/2
Nikon 28/1.8G
For 35mm the new Distagon 35/1.4
50mm Macro Planar.
These are the sharpest lenses.

Nikon 12-24 was mentioned as well.

Fyi.

Best lens for D800 for maximum sharpness? [Page 2]: Nikon D4 - D1 / D800 Forum: Digital Photography Review

There's a discussion on which is the sharpest wide angle on a D800. Some say these are the best out there:

For maximum sharpness, landscape wide angle lenses:
Distagon 21/2.8
Distagon 25/2
Nikon 28/1.8G
For 35mm the new Distagon 35/1.4
50mm Macro Planar.
These are the sharpest lenses.

Nikon 12-24 was mentioned as well.

Fyi.

Best lens for D800 for maximum sharpness? [Page 2]: Nikon D4 - D1 / D800 Forum: Digital Photography Review

If you do not tilt and shift, the 24mm PCE is outstanding.

I am looking for wide angle lens (10, 20 to 24 mm wide) for D800. I tried w my 20 mm D lens and the 14-24 FX but it is soft and distorted at the edges.

Any one has found a solution? Any sample pictures to share? Thanks.

Its called a Nikkor 24mm f/1.4 = the sharpest wide prime around. ;) ;)

I returned the 16-35mm for something else after a few days. To be honest, I can't imagine curvilinear distortions to be that horrible for a lens close to $2k and in this day and age. Though most curvilinear distortions can be corrected but that thing was giving me something more complex which will prolong my workflow significantly. I gave up.

It's a 1 click fix in Lighroom, just so that you know.

I don't use Lightroom and like what I've mentioned before, sometimes you get complex distortion. That's more than just a click to fix, just so that you know.

Lightroom has the lens profile saved inside, so all it takes is one click to enable distortion correction. It doesn't matter if it's barrel, pincushion or mustache distortion, as long as it has the profile for that lens, Lightroom can fix it. In my experience and that of many pros, it has worked well for a variety of lenses from different manufacturers.

Anyone using Tokina 11-16 f2.8 on D800 ? any picture to share ?

Eddie77 said:

read ken rockwell's review. he tested it on d700.

Dazzlecity by Scintt, on Flickr

This was shot on a Tokina 11-16mm at 15mm on FX mode on a D800E. The corners can be soft though, but I'm using this lens in the interim till I save up for a 16-35. There might be a little vignette, especially when you use filters.

Last edited:
It look nice .... im thinking that too b4 get 16-35
thanks

Its called a Nikkor 24mm f/1.4 = the sharpest wide prime around. ;) ;)

Found this info just now.. thgt it might be of interest. Though it talks abt D4, I think this MAY hold true for the D800 (do not quote me on this). Enjoy

according to DxOmark's scores for the D4, the following are the "top ten lenses" on this body (all delivering some of the top scores for any body+lens combination):

1 - Micro Nikkor 105mm f/2.8 @35
2 - Samyang 35mm f/1.4 @34
3 - Nikkor 85mm f/1.4 @33
4 - Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar 100mm f/2 @32
5 - Sigma 85mm f/1.4 @32
6 - Carl Zeiss Distagon T 35mm f/2 @32
7 - Nikkor 24mm f/1.4 @31
8 - Nikkor 85mm f/1.4 @31
9 - Samyang 85mm f/1.4 @31
10 - Carl Zeiss Distagon T 35mm f/1.4 @30

Eddie77 said:
It look nice .... im thinking that too b4 get 16-35
thanks

I think it is good that DX lenses can be used on FF cameras, but you will not be utilizing the full capability of the FF sensor and it's resolution by doing that. I will get the FX lens as soon as I have saved up enough and make the change. And if I don't already own those DX lenses, I will not even consider them if I am a FX user. :)

I returned the 16-35mm for something else after a few days. To be honest, I can't imagine curvilinear distortions to be that horrible for a lens close to $2k and in this day and age. Though most curvilinear distortions can be corrected but that thing was giving me something more complex which will prolong my workflow significantly. I gave up.

What lens would you suggest for architectural or cityscape photography for Nikon system? Since this category is your specialty :)

I think the 16-35mm f/4 VR is fine for walk around and landscape/seascape photography, but not exactly for anything with lots of straight lines. Not sure if you would even find the 14-24mm f/2.8 acceptable for your field of application either.

avsquare said:
What lens would you suggest for architectural or cityscape photography for Nikon system? Since this category is your specialty :)

I think the 16-35mm f/4 VR is fine for walk around and landscape/seascape photography, but not exactly for anything with lots of straight lines. Not sure if you would even find the 14-24mm f/2.8 acceptable for your field of application either.

I believe Kit use the 14-24mm.

And to add on, the 14-24mm at 14mm exhibits less barrel distortion than the 16-35mm at 16mm.

Last edited:
I believe Kit use the 14-24mm.

And to add on, the 14-24mm at 14mm exhibits less barrel distortion than the 16-35mm at 16mm.

I see.. I thought he'd pick the tilt-shift lens ;p

avsquare said:
I see.. I thought he'd pick the tilt-shift lens ;p

Oh yeah. Maybe that too...

I use the 24mm tilt-shift lens too. Very nifty, but sometimes not wide enough.

*Deleted* Double post