D800 for wedding photography

yes!! i settled down for a 2nd hand d3s..gt a very very mint sad.. happy at the same time sad.. bankrupt.. ahahah.. anws, tested the d3s in my car at very very low light.. just 1 word.. awesome.. :)

*set i mean.. hahaha

yes!! i settled down for a 2nd hand d3s..gt a very very mint sad.. happy at the same time sad.. bankrupt.. ahahah.. anws, tested the d3s in my car at very very low light.. just 1 word.. awesome.. :)

Try in total darkness at ISO12,800.

Just wondering... D4 vs D3s, ISO performance D3s still better or they are on par?

100% they are around the same with the D3s giving very very slightly more details. Thing is the slightly higher resolution of the D4, once you downsize the file to 12mp (like the D3s), the image is cleaner and sharper. One other thing to note is the noise pattern of D4 is actually finer and more even. Which makes it a lot easier to work with.

100% they are around the same with the D3s giving very very slightly more details. Thing is the slightly higher resolution of the D4, once you downsize the file to 12mp (like the D3s), the image is cleaner and sharper. One other thing to note is the noise pattern of D4 is actually finer and more even. Which makes it a lot easier to work with.

would like to add on.

the ergonomics of D4 is better than D3s.

D4 is around S$6.5k+- brand new now, if i'm not wrong (please find out on your own). its indeed a worthy purchase if you require high ISO, speed etc. performance.

agreed.. was contemplating d4 but i'd rather save the 2k n get a mint d3s

would like to add on.

D4 is around S$6.5k+- brand new now, if i'm not wrong (please find out on your own). its indeed a worthy purchase if you require high ISO, speed etc. performance.

Wow... prices recently has certainly dropped, I mean, its like only a 2.5k topup from a D800+Grip! ;p

would like to add on.

So cheap meh? I thought it is around 6.8-6.9+ locally. Grey set is around 6.6.

For me, the biggest upgrade from D3s to D4 is not the ISO capability. But the exceptionally accurate and smart metering system, and the exceptional AF. Of course the back-lit buttons really help...

Wow... prices recently has certainly dropped, I mean, its like only a 2.5k topup from a D800+Grip! ;p

D800 is a very different animal. You need to understand what each camera excels in and get the one suited for your needs.

D800 is a very different animal. You need to understand what each camera excels in and get the one suited for your needs.

Ya lor.... I do events quite often, D800 will just tear me apart, but then D4 seems pretty out of reach lolol! NIKON WHY YOU PUT US IN THIS KIND OF SITUATION :p
Maybe follow TS, find the inbetween, D3S, Price not too high, good for events

Ya lor.... I do events quite often, D800 will just tear me apart, but then D4 seems pretty out of reach lolol! NIKON WHY YOU PUT US IN THIS KIND OF SITUATION :p
Maybe follow TS, find the inbetween, D3S, Price not too high, good for events

There is always the D600 if you think D800 is too much of a beast. For a budget camera for events, nothing beats a D700 actually.

Just wondering... D4 vs D3s, ISO performance D3s still better or they are on par?

Personally feel they are on par. I've only used a D3S up to ISO6400.

would like to add on.

Not that cheap... yet. Checking out, still about 7K+ at the reputable shops, of course I might be wrong.

Ergonomics wise, I won't say it's a big improvement, still have problems locating the AF-On button on the 'grip' portion sometimes. Apart from that, no complains on the ergo. Nikon ergo has always been very friendly, pick up and you feel exactly like any other Nikon camera within the same series.

agreed.. was contemplating d4 but i'd rather save the 2k n get a mint d3s

Wanted a D3S.. but ordered too late when D4 came. So suck thumb...

Not that cheap... yet. Checking out, still about 7K+ at the reputable shops, of course I might be wrong.

Ergonomics wise, I won't say it's a big improvement, still have problems locating the AF-On button on the 'grip' portion sometimes. Apart from that, no complains on the ergo. Nikon ergo has always been very friendly, pick up and you feel exactly like any other Nikon camera within the same series.

oooh, my bad. my S$6.5K++ are grey goods.

D3s's ergonomics is not that friendly to people with smaller hands esp. when shooting in portraiture mode, of course, this is a case of 'YMMV'.

the new D4's portraiture mode shooting is a huge improvement due to the implementation of the smaller direction control 'joystick'.

anyway, its certainly a big thing for me since I have a pair of small hands! kekekeke :bsmilie:

oooh, my bad. my S$6.5K++ are grey goods.

D3s's ergonomics is not that friendly to people with smaller hands esp. when shooting in portraiture mode, of course, this is a case of 'YMMV'.

the new D4's portraiture mode shooting is a huge improvement due to the implementation of the smaller direction control 'joystick'.

anyway, its certainly a big thing for me since I have a pair of small hands! kekekeke :bsmilie:

The addition of 2 joysticks really help a great deal, especially in af point selection. The other cool thing is the camera will remember the last select AF point in landscape and portrait mode. So when you turn the camera on the side, the AF point will automatically switch.

For me, the biggest upgrade from D3s to D4 is not the ISO capability. But the exceptionally accurate and smart metering system, and the exceptional AF. Of course the back-lit buttons really help...

The addition of 2 joysticks really help a great deal, especially in af point selection. The other cool thing is the camera will remember the last select AF point in landscape and portrait mode. So when you turn the camera on the side, the AF point will automatically switch.

yup, but again whether the upgrade is worth or not, still up to individual.. for me, I don't find the D4 worth an upgrade over the D3S, although I'd really appreciate the double joystick.

avsquare said:
yup, but again whether the upgrade is worth or not, still up to individual.. for me, I don't find the D4 worth an upgrade over the D3S, although I'd really appreciate the double joystick.

Even if not from a D3s, there are ppl like me, who hadn't a D3(s), have a huge resistant to get D4 due to the unaffordable XQD card. Just not comfortable shooting with only one card in slot for damage card mitigation.