D7100 or D610

Status
Not open for further replies.
it for

I used to be D5100 owner, now then D7100. D5100 served me well on any condition even birding. I believe with the correct settings you can use it for birding too. D7100 and D5100 has really no much difference in terms of IQ to me. In fact D5100 has the advantage of variangle LCD screen, which is very handy. The only reason I upgrade to D7100 is I want to get the control settings as fast as I could.

Cheers!

Is the picture sharper? Looking at the specs, the image quality should be sharper. Mind sharing what r the other improvement after the upgrading?

Is the picture sharper? Looking at the specs, the image quality should be sharper. Mind sharing what r the other improvement after the upgrading?

Define what is sharp then.

Define what kind of improvement you wish to see?

Everyone have their own standards..

Define what is sharp then.

Define what kind of improvement you wish to see?

Everyone have their own standards..
guess there r no significant improvement on the iq. its like paying more for some other features

got a good offer n I purchase the d600 instead, despite the oil n dust issue.

there r members saying the iq between d5100 n d7100 is ver similar. but trying d600 with my same lens -90mm f2.8 n 70-300 vc usd, I can tell u the colour, dof n sharpness have improve tremendously.

if image sensor, camera n lens r not an important factor of taking a great pic, and its the person behind the camera who play the most important part, then I reckon a p7100 vs a d4s photographer with the same skill, should not make any diff.

then y ppl spend thousands of dollars on 1 len n camera?

Im glad that I make a rite decision

Last edited:
there r members saying the iq between d5100 n d7100 is ver similar. but trying d600 with my same lens -90mm f2.8 n 70-300 vc usd, I can tell u the colour, dof n sharpness have improve tremendously.

if image sensor, camera n lens r not an important factor of taking a great pic, and its the person behind the camera who play the most important part, then I reckon a p7100 vs a d4s photographer with the same skill, should not make any diff.

then y ppl spend thousands of dollars on 1 len n camera?

Im glad that I make a rite decision

I have used D7100 and D4. Also D800e and owned D700, D300s, D90, D40x in the past.

can you tell the difference? Tell me which is shot with D4 and which is shot with D7100?

12052348775_ae626a1588_b.jpg

11704505355_1ed09b8212_b.jpg

13243963474_7ab8f60f19_b.jpg

11701813254_db41212b66_b.jpg

In the end, only your skill and know how matters. when you buy a camera like D4, then main things are the speed, AF and other factors. Hope you have good luck tracking birds in flight and small fast active birds with the D600. D7100 AF and tracking will blow the D600 away.

Last edited:
Let me guess .. only pic 2 is d4

I have used D7100 and D4. Also D800e and owned D700, D300s, D90, D40x in the past.

can you tell the difference? Tell me which is shot with D4 and which is shot with D7100?

12052348775_ae626a1588_b.jpg

11704505355_1ed09b8212_b.jpg

13243963474_7ab8f60f19_b.jpg

11701813254_db41212b66_b.jpg

In the end, only your skill and know how matters. when you buy a camera like D4, then main things are the speed, AF and other factors. Hope you have good luck tracking birds in flight and small fast active birds with the D600. D7100 AF and tracking will blow the D600 away.

in the previous post, 1 member mention he have no much problem taking wild life with his d5100.

btw if given a scenario,

A guy uses d40 with tamron 70-300mm macro

vs

B guy uses D4s n nikon 300mm f2.8 vr2

both with the same skill n asked to take wild life pic atthe same place, time. who do u think will accomplish the mission or accomplish it in shorter time?

in the previous post, 1 member mention he have no much problem taking wild life with his d5100.

btw if given a scenario,

vs

both with the same skill n asked to take wild life pic atthe same place, time. who do u think will accomplish the mission or accomplish it in shorter time?
any photos of birds taken with D5100 to show? Looking forward to see that.

D5100 is a good camera n im sure it can take good pic of wild life but u take more effort n time.

Y everyone only mention ff len on a dx body will x 1.5times focal length but nv inform newbies it also x 1.5times the aprrture?

If I use my 70-300 usd vc ff tamron lens, at 300mm, my max aperture is f8.2, even the vc can reduce 4 stop, its still not fast enough.

Try taking a flying bird with f8++ n d5100 af system.

Last edited:
D5100 is a good camera n im sure it can take good pic of wild life but u take more effort n time.

Y everyone only mention ff len on a dx body will x 1.5times focal length but nv inform newbies it also x 1.5times the aprrture?

If I use my 70-300 usd vc ff tamron lens, at 300mm, my max aperture is f8.2, even the vc can reduce 4 stop, its still not fast enough.

Try taking a flying bird with f8++ n d5100 af system.

Sorry, I am a newbie to wildlife... but... why do you want to shoot a BIF at f8++? Most birds in flight wouldn't be too close to me and so I don't need that small an aperture when I am shooting it and tends to open my aperture to the widest.

7356465990_d945ea0098_b_d.jpg

7171251565_0b783e0c2a_b_d.jpg

7356467864_b791a410d2_b_d.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry, I am a newbie to wildlife... but... why do you want to shoot a BIF at f8++? Most birds in flight wouldn't be too close to me and so I don't need that small an aperture when I am shooting it and tends to open my aperture to the widest.

7356465990_d945ea0098_b_d.jpg

7171251565_0b783e0c2a_b_d.jpg

7356467864_b791a410d2_b_d.jpg
What len did u use to take those pic?
Im a newbie too.

For wild life n specially flying birds, u need long focal length n most dx lens dont give either as good quality n speed compare to fx len. Thus dx user will buy fx len on the dx body. Plus point - focal lenght x 1.5 times, negative point - aperture x 1.5times.

So example if u use a tamron 70-200 f2.8
At 200mm x 1.5 = 300mm
Aperture f2.8 x 1.5 = f4.2

Which is stil ok but if u uses other lens like I mention the tamron 70-300mm vc usd 4-5.6, the aperture will be much smaller n u have to increase to iso higher n which dx camera tends to have more noise than the fx.

What len did u use to take those pic?
Im a newbie too.

For wild life n specially flying birds, u need long focal length n most dx lens dont give either as good quality n speed compare to fx len. Thus dx user will buy fx len on the dx body. Plus point - focal lenght x 1.5 times, negative point - aperture x 1.5times.

So example if u use a tamron 70-200 f2.8
At 200mm x 1.5 = 300mm
Aperture f2.8 x 1.5 = f4.2

Which is stil ok but if u uses other lens like I mention the tamron 70-300mm vc usd 4-5.6, the aperture will be much smaller n u have to increase to iso higher n which dx camera tends to have more noise than the fx.

I am using 70-200mm and 300mm f4L lens. I think the main issue is not with the camera body but with the lenses. When you use a fx lens on a dx camera, you get very similar result... although I do recognised that most FF camera produce more details as compared to cropped sensor with similar mega-pixels... and I also recognised that most cropped sensor do not produce as clean an image as compared to a FF sensor of the same era.

I think most people think that cropped sensor is still desirable for wildlife not just because of the crop factor... but precisely of the deeper DOF, which can be easier to get the desirable result. Of course there is nothing wrong with using the FF for wildlife shots. Like you have also mentioned, in the hands of skilled photographer, using crop sensor camera can also produce great images, it just take more effort and in my opinion, it is that extra effort that can make things fun. After all, alot of people are not professionals who wanted to earn a living out of photography.

oh... and I do a bit of surfing...

IMG_5000.jpg

This guy is using a 1100D entry level DSLR with a entry level zoom lens (55-250mm) and the image is spectacular too.

Last edited:
I am using 70-200mm and 300mm f4L lens. I think the main issue is not with the camera body but with the lenses. When you use a fx lens on a dx camera, you get very similar result... although I do recognised that most FF camera produce more details as compared to cropped sensor with similar mega-pixels... and I also recognised that most cropped sensor do not produce as clean an image as compared to a FF sensor of the same era.

I think most people think that cropped sensor is still desirable for wildlife not just because of the crop factor... but precisely of the deeper DOF, which can be easier to get the desirable result. Of course there is nothing wrong with using the FF for wildlife shots. Like you have also mentioned, in the hands of skilled photographer, using crop sensor camera can also produce great images, it just take more effort and in my opinion, it is that extra effort that can make things fun. After all, alot of people are not professionals who wanted to earn a living out of photography.

oh... and I do a bit of surfing...

IMG_5000.jpg

This guy is using a 1100D entry level DSLR with a entry level zoom lens (55-250mm) and the image is spectacular too.

great pic.

actually my point is,

whenever I saw a thread about newbie asking senior what camera or len to buy, u will hear quite few members repeat the same thing. its the person behind the camera , etc. yes, I agree but good camera body n lens do play a part.

The 1.5x on the aperture only affects the equivalent depth of field and not the exposure per se. So nothing to do with IS or shutter speed etc.

It affects the depth of field which, at such telephoto range and close-to-infinity focus, really doesn't mean much.

Don't understand it. If TS is so convinced on the superiority of FX over DX for the specific task of shooting birds, why bother to ask the questions here & then argue over the answers given. He has not answered Daredevils questions, because I don't think he can discern the real difference in the images nor understand the true advantage of using one format over the other & thinks it is all just about IQ (not that which do with the brains). Wonder what FX lens he got with his D600, the 70-300, 70-200?. Maybe end of day, like he said, FX makes him looks good & appears to give him more "power" :)

TS, its not that gears don't make a difference, but its not the difference you are asking & concerned about here & which others have advised...

Last edited:
Image 1 & 3 is D4?

great pic.

actually my point is,

whenever I saw a thread about newbie asking senior what camera or len to buy, u will hear quite few members repeat the same thing. its the person behind the camera , etc. yes, I agree but good camera body n lens do play a part.

Good Camera and lens only play a part, and only if the person behind the camera is good enough. And what part a better camera and better lens play can vary a lot. It is not just Image Quality.

Last edited:

btw if given a scenario,

vs

That is not what we are talking about in the first place. Let's go back to your initial question.

If shooting birds, one guy with a 300/2.8 on D610. And one guy with the same lens 300/2.8 with a D7100. which will be able to shoot birds better and easier? Answer is D7100 by a large margin.

Problem is, do you even know why the D7100 is better than D610/D600 in birding? Have you even try to understand it?

Turn around, if shooting street photography at night with a standard prime. D7100 on 35/1.8 and D600/D610 on 50mm (almost same FOV), D600/D610 might be able to do it better. And do you even know why? Have you even try to understand it?

A person who shoots well and have good knowledge will instantly know why. That is why professional shooters uses different kind of equipment for different kinds of work. There is no one body to rule them all.

By the way, you haven't answered my question. Can you tell which pics are from D4 and which are from D7100? Can you tell with 100% certainty? All four pics are shot with the same lens (AF-S 300/2.8). So it takes the question of lens totally away. Now it is just a pure comparison between D7100 (DX) and D4 (best of the FX, at that time). And have you even try to consider why I sometimes use D7100 and sometimes D4 when I have both with me? Why choose one over another?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.