D7000 users (Part 4)

UncleFai said:
Because I shoot mostly in "A" mode, I assign the front dial to aperture, and rear dial to ISO. I *LOVE* the combination.

Yes done that.

But I am asking to have the following just by using dial

Auto ISO <> 100 <> 200 <> 400 ...

This is possible in auto mode as I see it.

In Other modes, Auto ISO can be selected from menu options only not from the dial, is that so ?

Thanks for looking into.

Yes done that.

In Other modes, Auto ISO can be selected from menu options only not from the dial, is that so ?

Thanks for looking into.

Nikon "forces" you to use either all auto or manual. Unless you make the effort to change it to go into the menu to get it changed

Last edited:
ISO settings

When using A or S mode, I press iso button and rotate dial to change iso settings, but can't go to auto. Have to go through menu to toggle between auto and manual iso settings.

But, when in Auto/Auto no flash modes, I can press iso button and rotate dial to toggle between auto iso and manual iso settings, very handy feature. Can this be made default for other modes also ?

Thanks and good night.

Yes done that.

Thanks for looking into.

hmmm...

Yes done that.

Thanks for looking into.

you can assign to access the menu to the Fn or DOF preview button to access that ISO menu quickly..

Cowseye said:
It basically closes down the aperture blades to let u see the resultant Depth of Field based on the value you set. The smaller the aperture (or the larger the F-number), the more obvious the change. This is because u will always look thr your viewfinder at the largest aperture.

Thanks, but the view in viewfinder becomes dim and dimmer as I continue to increase F stops.

Phew...

lotus80 said:
Thanks, but the view in viewfinder becomes dim and dimmer as I continue to increase F stops.

Phew...

Because as you stop down the aperture, it becomes narrower and lesser light enters the lens, so the viewfinder will dim down.

spree86 said:
Because as you stop down the aperture, it becomes narrower and lesser light enters the lens, so the viewfinder will dim down.

:) I know that. Having difficulty to "preview" the final image, I think it is guess work with some camera assistance.

:) I know that. Having difficulty to "preview" the final image, I think it is guess work with some camera assistance.

Don't worry, as you gain more experience, you can roughly know how the final image is

Eventually, u will change that button to do something else (Bracketing, RAW capture quality, built-in flash changes...).... DOF preview can only help so much at so little times... Know you lenses well enough , u will not need this feature handy.

That seems to work better and more distinct with film cameras. Moreover for DSLR, you can check your every shot on the spot quite precisely on the LCD, whereas in film camera, we can only see the result after processing, therefore it is a more crucial use in an SLR than a DSLR.

MacroMarlin said:
That seems to work better and more distinct with film cameras. Moreover for DSLR, you can check your every shot on the spot quite precisely on the LCD, whereas in film camera, we can only see the result after processing, therefore it is a more crucial use in an SLR than a DSLR.

Yeah, makes sense.

Eye piece / viewfinder magnifier for D7000

- can I ask for user experiences, especially with spectacles.
- suggestions for purchase / model etc

Thank you.

Last edited:
From Nikon, there are 2 types for magnification.

The first one replaces your current viewfinder cover which gives you about 1.2 magnification (S$41):

DK-21M

The second one gives you 2x, but at the expense of you not being able to see the entire viewfinder ($80):

DG-2

Also note that DG-2 requires an adapter for D7000.

Last edited:
$326 SLRR @ Funan, march end purchase for me