D70 Kit lens VS Tamron AF 28-75

D70 Kit lens or Tamron AF 28 -75 ?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
scud said:
have u ever consider tokina?
i guess that u had made up your mind on tamron.
juz fyi, CP having tokina promotion, WA 19-35 at $199, 28-70 f2.8 at $399.
the tokina 19-35 good or not? $200 seems cheap leh... good for street :p

nightwolf75 said:
the last time i checked 3 wks back, mscolor quoted me $180. harlequin2902 also asked the same question, and he got it at this price after i informed him. one of the cheapest WA lens ard. ;p

http://forum.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=99330
so cheap meh? i thought nearly 1k for the 18-50/2.8?

quekky said:
the tokina 19-35 good or not? $200 seems cheap leh... good for street :p
tokina 19-35 is ok if you are not fussy abt photo quality.
it is definately in a different league comparing to the original canon or nikon for the same WA range.
anyway, $200 is a steal for this lens.

scud said:

Just wondering if they got Pentax Mount one or not :think: Quite attractive price for the 28-70 one ;p

Wah.... so many options again !!! Really can't make up my mind for now. Will do more research on those lens and decide later. Lucky do not have enough Vit M for now. Din buy any of them yet. ^_^

mpenza said:
hye guys, chunger does not own a DSLR. so the Nikon 18-70 or 12-24 (and other lenses like the Sigma DC series) will result in vignetting on his film bodies at the wide angle end.

oh.. then Tamron is the perfect companion

scud said:

$399 hur hur

when the promotion end ah? :bsmilie:

scud said:

They are selling the 80-200 for $860 also,if I'm not wrong.

promo shld still be on. just bought my 28-70/f2.8 for $395 last fri. think they are selling it until they clear their stock.

nightwolf75 said:
promo shld still be on. just bought my 28-70/f2.8 for $395 last fri. think they are selling it until they clear their stock.

Thank you nightwolf for the headsup. What has been your opinion about this competitively priced mid zoom lens from Tokina? With respect to the kit lens and the Tamron 28-75?

I've read on dpreview.com that the Tamron gives a slight red overcast when shot at F2.8.

Any quirks about the Tokina I should know about?

I'm currently using a 12-24, 18-70 Kit Lens, and a 50 prime. I'm attracted by the constant 2.8 on the Tamrons and Tokinas and their cheap prices, and if the reviews from what Ive read goes well, I should be selling the Kit lens and purchasing either the Tamron or the Tokina.

Any pointers and suggestions are more than welcome. :)

not so much a "red" overcast, but a warmer tone. its not just at 2.8, but at all apertures, coz of the type of glass they use.

actually i kinda like the warmer tone of the tamron...
but its pretty dumb, coz can easily be corrected with WB modification.

dun waste time go for the tamron, and u are on ur way to Nikon 28-70 sharpness.

Gosu_John said:
Thank you nightwolf for the headsup. What has been your opinion about this competitively priced mid zoom lens from Tokina? With respect to the kit lens and the Tamron 28-75?

I've read on dpreview.com that the Tamron gives a slight red overcast when shot at F2.8.

I'm currently using a 12-24, 18-70 Kit Lens, and a 50 prime. I'm attracted by the constant 2.8 on the Tamrons and Tokinas and their cheap prices, and if the reviews from what Ive read goes well, I should be selling the Kit lens and purchasing either the Tamron or the Tokina.

nightwolf75 said:

Wah u got the Tamron. Cool stuff. Now u can go flash less :D

thomaschan said:
not so much a "red" overcast, but a warmer tone. its not just at 2.8, but at all apertures, coz of the type of glass they use.

actually i kinda like the warmer tone of the tamron...
but its pretty dumb, coz can easily be corrected with WB modification.

dun waste time go for the tamron, and u are on ur way to Nikon 28-70 sharpness.

Thank you Thomas for the information,

Have you used the Tokina? Was wanting to see a comparison between the two but I couldn't find any. The price is almost half in difference!

Gosu_John said:

jeff49er - bought the tokina, not tamron. ;p

gosu_john - here's the review for the tokina.
http://www.pcphotoreview.com/35mm,Zoom/Tokina/PRD_142610_3128crx.aspx

watever u do, pls dun go and compare this lens with the nikon trinity version of this lens. u get wat u paid for, okie? ;)

the tokina is heavy, and built like a tank. the supplied lens hood, IMO, is the spoiler. cheap and plasticky feeling. i was debating bet this and tamron (cos the EF 28-70mm/f2.8L is out of my league). bought this becos the tokina is slightly heavier and sturdier than the tamron. the tokina's AF is fast (tho not as fast as canon's USM), and the motor is silent. a must for me becos i need to be quiet when shooting in church.

hope this helps?

nightwolf75 said:
jeff49er - bought the tokina, not tamron. ;p

gosu_john - here's the review for the tokina.
http://www.pcphotoreview.com/35mm,Zoom/Tokina/PRD_142610_3128crx.aspx

watever u do, pls dun go and compare this lens with the nikon trinity version of this lens. u get wat u paid for, okie? ;)

the tokina is heavy, and built like a tank. the supplied lens hood, IMO, is the spoiler. cheap and plasticky feeling. i was debating bet this and tamron (cos the EF 28-70mm/f2.8L is out of my league). bought this becos the tokina is slightly heavier and sturdier than the tamron. the tokina's AF is fast (tho not as fast as canon's USM), and the motor is silent. a must for me becos i need to be quiet when shooting in church.

hope this helps?

Thank you nightwolf,

It has definetly been most helpful. And at a price of $399 from CP's stock clearing sale/promotion, one couldn't complain more!

I will be reading up and seeing if I can find more reviews between this and the Tamron before finally buying it. And of course I will be selling away my 18-70 Kit Lens to finance this. Any takers? :blah:

I just hope the promotion lasts till my exams end on the 29th.

hi dudes,

tokina is 1. better build and more solid, 2. cheaper
These 2 i can confirm.

Ppl also say slightly faster AF? (but i myself cannot complain)

but tamron edges it out in terms of sharpness, + its closer focusing distance (macro purposes)...

but i can confirm the sharpness of the tamron.... in fact, i double confirm it... heehee! in certain conditions, its as sharp as my nikon 50 / 1.8.

i just found the site that caused me to buy my tamron....

http://forum.hardware.fr/hardwarefr/Photonumerique/sujet-1141.htm

it CLEARLY holds its own against a PRIME! yes a PRIME!!

buy buy buy!! defintiely the best lense until u can afford the 28-70 nikkor

oh yah do notice the 18-55 canon vs tamron comparison as well... i'd say that would be pretty similar to the 18-70 vs tamron... but i think the 18-70 is slightly sharper than the 18-55... aiyah, once u get the tamron, u wun use ur 18-70 liao... it will be only 12-24, or the tamron... all ur primes etc can throw osso heehee...

then of coz next u will be eyeing a 70-200 range... hehee

Comments on SIGMA vs TAMRON vs TOKINA (28-7x range)

George , jan 29, 2004; 08:50 a.m.
George, is it true that the focus-ring rotates of few degrees (about 30 as I heard)?
It rotates about 50 degrees, which is still short, but it focusses faster than a 50mm prime lens.
Is it annoying for manual focusing?
Not at all. At f 2.8 the focussing screen is so bright that you can focus fast and accurately. I also use it with a manual body.

And what about the build quality?
Great. I tried it side by side with the corresponding Tokina and Sigma at my local shop. The zooming ring of the Tokina, which was the heaviest and appeared to be the best built of all (older version f/2.6-2.8) was a little too stiff. The Sigma felt a little cheaper, though its filter threads are made of metal.

I liked the Tamron for four reasons:
- First I saw slides taken by a friend with this new lens and they were astonishingly good, even at large apertures.
- I was suspicious about third party lenses since I never had one, so I read the reports in magazines. The German FotoMagazin gave the lens 5 stars for both optical (9/10) and mechanical (9/10) performance. All internet reports were full of praise.
- Personally, comparing it to the Tokina and Sigma, I find its textured rubber rings feel better than the Sigma and rotate better than the Tokina.
- Last not least: I need no new filters. The Tamron's filter size is only 67mm.

thomaschan said:
hi dudes,

tokina is 1. better build and more solid, 2. cheaper
These 2 i can confirm.

Ppl also say slightly faster AF? (but i myself cannot complain)

but tamron edges it out in terms of sharpness, + its closer focusing distance (macro purposes)...

but i can confirm the sharpness of the tamron.... in fact, i double confirm it... heehee! in certain conditions, its as sharp as my nikon 50 / 1.8.

What can I say? Thank you Thomas for the helpful resources you have dug out. :thumbsup:

Now I have to consider if its worth paying the extra 250 dollars for its lesser build quality and better sharpness. The kit lens is definetly going! :devil:

Status
Not open for further replies.