d70 gone on strike after abuse! SOS!

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey.. i second to that of snowy's statement.. i mean, this is AMERICA man... they r d oones making d rulz.. n would b d ones breaking too... im juz a poor lil tourist who happen to b so unlucky to haf this happenin now... whats a 1 persons privacy compared to a chance of an Al-qaeda bomber terrorizing d big uncle sammie... rite? i felt like a terrorist.. though i wish i was one... like,. when they open my suitcase, KAPUT!! bye boston... then again.. i havent got married... so i'll take my words back... currently im playing with a polaroid cam... but not taking many pics though... im so dead here without a car... taxis r VERY VERY rare...

well... i couldnt pick abetter time fr this to b happenin...

snowspeeder said:
Well first of all, u need to be able to prove that your claim that they did indeed damage your item. It's hard to prove after you left the scene and approach them at a later date stating the claim. Anyway when travelling overseas, always safer to insure your valuable items.

It is not always advisable to make a hoo-haa in a foreign country. Not everywhere is as accomodating. Besides, national security can be used to overide personal privacy.

Hello Snowspeeder... you mention about insure your valuable items, do you mean to get insurance on it? if this is so where could i find a company to insure photography equipment, please share with us....

detrop said:
hey.. i second to that of snowy's statement.. i mean, this is AMERICA man... they r d oones making d rulz.. n would b d ones breaking too... im juz a poor lil tourist who happen to b so unlucky to haf this happenin now... whats a 1 persons privacy compared to a chance of an Al-qaeda bomber terrorizing d big uncle sammie... rite? i felt like a terrorist.. though i wish i was one... like,. when they open my suitcase, KAPUT!! bye boston... then again.. i havent got married... so i'll take my words back... currently im playing with a polaroid cam... but not taking many pics though... im so dead here without a car... taxis r VERY VERY rare...

well... i couldnt pick abetter time fr this to b happenin...
Boston is nice without a car, enjoy strolling through town lah! Can see more! Better stick to other countries to visit next time........I once forgot to give a tip to the taxi driver from the Hotel to the Boston airport (before 9/11, I wasn't used to giving tips in the US, and this was the airport those terrorists were boarding at), he looked weird at me :)

HS

im actually in rhode island... tens of miles frm boston... apparently the best way to reach RI is an international flight to Logan Airport in Boston... i think the taxi is gonna cost a bomb when im goinf to boston tmr... aiyaiyaiyaiyai...

ak6110 said:
Hello Snowspeeder... you mention about insure your valuable items, do you mean to get insurance on it? if this is so where could i find a company to insure photography equipment, please share with us....

You can check with your financial advisor on the range of products that may have that can cover your equipment when going on holiday.

snowspeeder said:
Well first of all, u need to be able to prove that your claim that they did indeed damage your item. It's hard to prove after you left the scene and approach them at a later date stating the claim. Anyway when travelling overseas, always safer to insure your valuable items.

It is not always advisable to make a hoo-haa in a foreign country. Not everywhere is as accomodating. Besides, national security can be used to overide personal privacy.

My take is nobody is complaining about privacy. But using personal equipment to invade the privacy and in that process, the equipment stop functioning, which means it was functioning until the customs use it to check stuff and stopped functioning. Isn't that a good reason to lodge some sort of displeasure?

the bottom line is that equipment should remain intact and functionable after inspection for good reason. Same thing if they suspect you have drugs that is hidden within the camera, they'd first xray it before stripping it apart. in anycase of a wrong suspicion that cause unnecessary discomfort would end up in a complaint. I'm sure the customs have measures to prevent these sort of things from happening, its up to the travellers to take the action

please correct me if i'm wrong.

Tempus said:
My take is nobody is complaining about privacy. But using personal equipment to invade the privacy and in that process, the equipment stop functioning, which means it was functioning until the customs use it to check stuff and stopped functioning. Isn't that a good reason to lodge some sort of displeasure?

the bottom line is that equipment should remain intact and functionable after inspection for good reason. Same thing if they suspect you have drugs that is hidden within the camera, they'd first xray it before stripping it apart. in anycase of a wrong suspicion that cause unnecessary discomfort would end up in a complaint. I'm sure the customs have measures to prevent these sort of things from happening, its up to the travellers to take the action

please correct me if i'm wrong.

If the suspicion is white powder, the police/DEA/customs would use dogs to detect it. Usng xrays is more like looking for metal parts and sinister objects.

Probably the only preventive measure they have is that 'necessary care has been taken' to ensure goods are checked properly. There are thousands of things to check and hundreds of different kinds of contrabands to look for. It is not possible for them to train their officers in a thousand different ways to check different objects. It is the same everywhere in the world.

Complaints? That depends on how the system works at different levels. I'm sure the public service here and abroad get countless notes of displeasure everyday. How many really are taken to task?

Maybe that's how the world and society works. Everyone is just doing their job, protecting their own rights and rice bowl at the same time.

snowspeeder said:
If the suspicion is white powder, the police/DEA/customs would use dogs to detect it. Usng xrays is more like looking for metal parts and sinister objects.

Probably the only preventive measure they have is that 'necessary care has been taken' to ensure goods are checked properly. There are thousands of things to check and hundreds of different kinds of contrabands to look for. It is not possible for them to train their officers in a thousand different ways to check different objects. It is the same everywhere in the world.

Complaints? That depends on how the system works at different levels. I'm sure the public service here and abroad get countless notes of displeasure everyday. How many really are taken to task?

Maybe that's how the world and society works. Everyone is just doing their job, protecting their own rights and rice bowl at the same time.

Sounds right, thanks. But if its me, i'd have taken action. but well its not me.

After 911, their mindset is that all foreigner coming into the USA are potential terrorist.

correction.. only some countries only... esp those famed with 'certain' religion... i wont discuss here lest anyone is offended.. but then again.. i dun think its abt d religion.. its abt some teachings... well anyway i hope someday all this will chg fr the better...

it happened to my D70 six weeks ago. Nikon sg says its a power circuitry problem. warranty supposed to be expired by 1 month, the repaired it for free as a goodwill gesture. same thing lor: CF light blinking but everything is blank.

nigellim said:
it happened to my D70 six weeks ago. Nikon sg says its a power circuitry problem. warranty supposed to be expired by 1 month, the repaired it for free as a goodwill gesture. same thing lor: CF light blinking but everything is blank.

Mine went died yesterday after warranty expired last mth. sent to Nikon yesterday. hope they will repair for me free as well.

in fact last mth b4 the warranty expires, i went to nikon to have the ccd clean. after cleaning, the ccd seems to be mis-align. so yesterday morning bring to Nikon to get it fixed. at the counter, the camera went dead...hahhaha

guess the timing was just right to prevent me from making additional trip to nikon..

anyway, hope they will not charge me for the power circuitry problem which i think is their design problem??

Status
Not open for further replies.