D600 User Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kit said:
Competency level is never a deciding factor for choosing between Raw and jpeg. Raw gives you greater flexibility for editing. You use Jpeg for an express work flow. They are different and requires different sets of skills.

Haha this is highly debatable, especially if you are a non-tripod hugger and non-studio/strobist shooter.

jus a thought i hv in mind, not sure if any1 doing it.

set cam to take pic and save RAW in slot 1 and jpeg in slot 2.
even the max good quality of jpeg fine+optimal quality is abt 1/2 the data size of a RAW file.

eg so slot 1 is 16Gb which slot 2 use a 8Gb card.

reason so we will need to change both memory card at abt the same time so that it's easier to manage if hv multiple memory cards full of pics...any1 tried?

ijnek said:
jus a thought i hv in mind, not sure if any1 doing it.

set cam to take pic and save RAW in slot 1 and jpeg in slot 2.
even the max good quality of jpeg fine+optimal quality is abt 1/2 the data size of a RAW file.

eg so slot 1 is 16Gb which slot 2 use a 8Gb card.

reason so we will need to change both memory card at abt the same time so that it's easier to manage if hv multiple memory cards full of pics...any1 tried?

That is my standard configuration (Slot 1 RAW + Slot 2 jpeg)

Luckily for me, I do not usually exceed my 8GB / 4GB combo.

It depends on your workflow - I typically work on jpeg, referring to the RAW files only when extensive post-processing is required. Hence, the exact matching of cards is not relevant to me.

Plus, I habitually copy both cards over into my hard drive such that I refer from my hard drive. So once again, the files are all matched inside my hard drive.

Slot 1 NEF slot 2 jpeg fine for me too. I use nef if I need extensive PP.

i guess most r ok with RAW n JPEG...but do u guyz match the memory card?

i was wondering hows the auto white balance once the D600? any users can share their experience?
by the way, was just curious... what size and speed memory cards are you guys using for D600?

personally, i find the WB a little cold at times, mayb it's jus me as i prefer my pics to be warmer.

i'm using 16Gb n 8Gb now,
saving RAW+JPEG...RAW in slot 1 using 16Gb while jpeg in slot 2 using 8 Gb.
this way i should change both memory card at the same time, easier for me to manage my pics.
both settings set to the max quality...
16Gb takes abt 300 RAW images

Yup i saw ur reply above... But what speed SD memory cards are u using, and hows the performance?

16gb only gives 300 raw? Tats quite little... But ur right since each pic is about 30mb in size. I'd think i need to get 32gb then

i use the older sandisk ultra 15mb/s...
intend to get the newer version which is 30mb/s

more than 30mb size, abt 40mb...and the jpeg+fine+optimal quality is abt 12mb

i use the older sandisk ultra 15mb/s...
intend to get the newer version which is 30mb/s

more than 30mb size, abt 40mb...and the jpeg+fine+optimal quality is abt 12mb

Not using D600 yet, but contemplating getting it. Still itching. I shoot RAW+JPEG and mirror them in both slots. Storage is cheap anyway. Will get 32GB x 6 if I get D600.

Still thinking if I should wait for D600S.

lenslust said:
Not using D600 yet, but contemplating getting it. Still itching. I shoot RAW+JPEG and mirror them in both slots. Storage is cheap anyway. Will get 32GB x 6 if I get D600.

Whats making u hesitate? The crammed AF points? The body ergonomics? Or the dust problem?

Im a bit concern about the dust issue. It may not affect pics but it just kinda irks me thinking about it :/

Last edited:

Yup keep waiting. When the D600S comes out you would wait for the D600x and after that the D600xs and so on and so forth. It never ends. Just get it if you feel the need.

I too uses 16gb for slot 1 and 8gb for slot 2.
Slot 1: 16gb Sandisk 45Mbps SDHC
Slot 2: 8gb Sandisk 30Mbps SDHC

Whats making u hesitate? The crammed AF points? The body ergonomics? Or the dust problem?

Im a bit concern about the dust issue. It may not affect pics but it just kinda irks me thinking about it :/
The dust issue was something I shrugged off earlier, I do my own sensor cleaning anyway, however, if it's too big an effect, then it's worrying as I cannot be pausing my shoots to clean sensor. The hi-ISO and just about nice 24mp (not 36mp) is something that's pretty intriguing for me.

I'm hesitating because I do not know how bad the dust attraction really gets. If it's as what the earlier video shows, it's nothing really to freak out about actually. Just wondering how bad it really can get.

My D4's already very dirty at the same side shown in the video, cleaned it a few times, but it comes back, give up, heck it.

Yup keep waiting. When the D600S comes out you would wait for the D600x and after that the D600xs and so on and so forth. It never ends. Just get it if you feel the need.
Nope, I'm not the kind that is looking forward and worrying about X, XS, XXL etc. If I did, I won't have gotten the D4 but wait for the D4S instead. Actually would prefer the D600S to come out, D600 drop in price then I purchase it. It would be good if D600/S can use the EN-EL18 of the D4, then it would be a really + point.

Wallet's feeling the pinch after getting the D4 + 24-70 f/2.8 this year. So am considering the D600 at a very detailed level.

lenslust said:
The dust issue was something I shrugged off earlier, I do my own sensor cleaning anyway, however, if it's too big an effect, then it's worrying as I cannot be pausing my shoots to clean sensor. The hi-ISO and just about nice 24mp (not 36mp) is something that's pretty intriguing for me.

I'm hesitating because I do not know how bad the dust attraction really gets. If it's as what the earlier video shows, it's nothing really to freak out about actually. Just wondering how bad it really can get.

My D4's already very dirty at the same side shown in the video, cleaned it a few times, but it comes back, give up, heck it.

Yea i agree... From the video it seems like its not really noticable unless the colors r tweaked n shot at small apertures. But tat was only 1 sample, not sure id other samples are better/worse off.

Didnt read about d4, does it have similar problem? Does it affect ur images at smaller apertures?

Or1onz, thx for ur input. Any performance issues when u shoot bursts in raw?

Last edited:
Yea i agree... From the video it seems like its not really noticable unless the colors r tweaked n shot at small apertures. But tat was only 1 sample, not sure id other samples are better/worse off.

Didnt read about d4, does it have similar problem? Does it affect ur images at smaller apertures?

Or1onz, thx for ur input. Any performance issues when u shoot bursts in raw?

It was bad at f/11-16 dinosaurs would appear. After cleaning it was much better. Haven't really seen any dinosaurs since I last cleaned the D4 a month ago.

Ohhh so ur D4 is affected too... Well as long as it doesnt affects ur shooting and pix, should be alright i guess.

Anyway, i have decided tat it should be ok.. And am a proud owner now hahha

After playing a while and coming from d80, the features and menu are really customizable!

Status
Not open for further replies.