D600 User Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a before and after shot to show how much details of the sky remains after PP

Before - All auto settings in camera turned off, shot in Neutral picture style
8140805276_31ac0b41d0_c.jpg

After - The amount of details that remains intact in the sky
8140773406_6149a17d7f_z.jpg

Please state that you are shooting RAW or JPEG for the above photo? IF in JPEG that is amazing , D700 is unable to do that.:)

Thom Hogan

Oct 25, 2012

Nikon (and Canon) should have learned their lesson here from the vertical grip business, but apparently hasn't. Because the vertical grips are now such expensive accessories for the bodies that use them, a whole cottage industry of clone (and better) vertical grips have appeared at far lower prices. Buying a D600, D800, of D7000 with a Nikon-supplied grip is no longer a given. Most users are better served by looking at the third-party market now. That's likely to happen for tripod collars, as well.

Ouch... that is a big difference in price, anyone can advise performance of such third party grip, will it cost any damage to the body? And on a slightly different note, how is the performance of third party batteries as well, cause realise the difference in price between a original grip together with an original battery vs third party grip and third party batteries is a cool 300++ difference. Too big a difference to deny, but just want to be safe before getting them as don't want a 300+ savings damaging a 2000+ body.

Any advise is appreciated in advance.

Last edited:
mousedeers said:
Please state that you are shooting RAW or JPEG for the above photo? IF in JPEG that is amazing , D700 is unable to do that.:)

Hi it is a RAW file. I don't have JPEG file examples as I needed to shoot RAW (still not confident to do JPEG at my skill level).

If D700 can do the same with RAW files, then it will be even more amazing. I have not tried the D700 before so I cannot do a direct comparison :)

Interested in getting the D600 but all the reports about dust/oil spots is putting a damper on. What's even more worrisome is that based on what I've read Nikon is not expected to acknowledge such an issue exists (and thus a proper fix for affected sets might not be possible).

Has anybody just recently purchased their D600? Any dust/oil spots issue with your set? And does anybody know where to best get it on installment plan (i know it's about S$26xx cash)

Thom Hogan

Nikon (and Canon) should have learned their lesson here from the vertical grip business, but apparently hasn't. Because the vertical grips are now such expensive accessories for the bodies that use them, a whole cottage industry of clone (and better) vertical grips have appeared at far lower prices. Buying a D600, D800, of D7000 with a Nikon-supplied grip is no longer a given. Most users are better served by looking at the third-party market now. That's likely to happen for tripod collars, as well.

Ok noted. Think I should go order tonight thru ebay. Any third party batteries that you can recommend for the D600 or should get original instead? Thanks

I bought the DSTE 3PCS EN-EL15 Battery + Charger from ebay.

HTH.

Ok noted. Think I should go order tonight thru ebay. Any third party batteries that you can recommend for the D600 or should get original instead? Thanks

Took my three f1.8 primes and D600 for a spin at the AFA12.

Times like these I really wished I had a 24-70mm, but the trio worked out pretty well.

Last edited:

Last edited:
unchecked said:

Bro is it still on tomorrow?

I brought my Full Battle order to the Barclays Singapore Open today, sadly cannot take picture. I was following Phil Mickelson, and his caddie shouted "no cameras please" when I lifted my iPhone, don't even dare take out my camera....

If its on tomorrow, I will go for a spin too :)

Bro is it still on tomorrow?

I brought my Full Battle order to the Barclays Singapore Open today, sadly cannot take picture. I was following Phil Mickelson, and his caddie shouted "no cameras please" when I lifted my iPhone, don't even dare take out my camera....

If its on tomorrow, I will go for a spin too :)

Yup it's still on tomorrow.

And golf is liddat one. Anything also can affect the swing. lol

unchecked said:
Yup it's still on tomorrow.

And golf is liddat one. Anything also can affect the swing. lol

Thanks bro :)

Cropping power.

Spotted this eagle? at the barrage..

Original:

Cropped:

Last edited:
The GGS glass protector out for this cam??

Omega23 said:
The GGS glass protector out for this cam??

I'm using the D800's version for the back LCD. Fits quite nicely.

Hi it is a RAW file. I don't have JPEG file examples as I needed to shoot RAW (still not confident to do JPEG at my skill level).

If D700 can do the same with RAW files, then it will be even more amazing. I have not tried the D700 before so I cannot do a direct comparison :)

Very nice. Could you share which PP program and what parameters did you modify to achieve the final image?

Competency level is never a deciding factor for choosing between Raw and jpeg. Raw gives you greater flexibility for editing. You use Jpeg for an express work flow. They are different and requires different sets of skills.

Status
Not open for further replies.