D600 or D700

I still prefer the full mag body feel of D700 without the green icon on the dial button:)

Then the only choice is D800. Rational choosing for non pro should slant towards D600, IMHO. If I were to choose based on normal use I would have chosen D600, and change camera body every 3-4 years. But in my application I have to factor in the cost of underwater housing which can cost as much or more than the camera body. So D800 it is. To each his own consideration.

Newbirdie said:
I still prefer the full mag body feel of D700 without the green icon on the dial button:)

Is there anything wrong with having the green icon there?

It's strange that at this time and age, people are still talking about the green icon. I thought its useful when we need to be part of a group photo and requires a 3rd party to take a picture for us. Its not as if we have to use it. I personally never touch it for a long long time, but it's a feature I welcome anytime.

Maybe I am too amateurish. :)

...I thought its useful when we need to be part of a group photo and requires a 3rd party to take a picture for us. Its not as if we have to use it....

P mode would suffice for that purpose..

Hey guys, thanks for all the replies :)
After testing out the D600, I still prefer the pro feel of the D700. Even my gf feels that the D600 is abit plasticky.
I've managed to get one refurbished set by Nikon in Australia with Shuttercount number 5(amazing isn't it) and 6 months nikon warranty :)

Hey guys, thanks for all the replies :)
After testing out the D600, I still prefer the pro feel of the D700. Even my gf feels that the D600 is abit plasticky.
I've managed to get one refurbished set by Nikon in Australia with Shuttercount number 5(amazing isn't it) and 6 months nikon warranty :)

even the on/off switch feel "cheap" on the D600....it's a good cam nonetheless.

Hi all,

Has anyone compare the image quality between d3 and d600 at the same iso 6400?

Thanks.

Hi all,

Has anyone compare the image quality between d3 and d600 at the same iso 6400?

Thanks.

There are many comparisons between D600 and D700. D700 iq is almost identical to D3.

if for me to choose, D700 if no budget, D800 if budget high, D600 is something that I don't even want to try.

if for me to choose, D700 if no budget, D800 if budget high, D600 is something that I don't even want to try.

why so?

daredevil123 said:
There are many comparisons between D600 and D700. D700 iq is almost identical to D3.

Thanks for your response. I will read up on the comparison.

D600 body is really too plasticity. It's not really tough as compared to D700/D800.

Why so worried about the aesthetics? D600 may be light of feel like a toy in hand. If it gets the job done then that's what matters most right? For me I would probably get a D600. It's light, has 24mp and ISO performance is pretty decent. I'm shooting manual focus mostly, so the centralized focus point issue won't really affect me much.

- but put it in the hands of a pro and the end result will still impress any.

Well said.

Both are good cameras but you really have to ask yourself these questions:

1. Ergonomics - Have you been using a pro body camera all the while. If you do, you may not like the camera body as compared to those pro body. There is a difference, but I suggest you go down to NSC to get a feel of the bodies.

2. Usage - Do you always shoot in harsh terrains or in the rain, whereby your camera must be build like a tank to withstand the knocks and nots. Are you a working professional?

3. Speed - Of all the thousands of pictures you took in the past, how many of them exceeded 1/4000 shutter speed. (Flash sync speed not taken into consideration since most cameras do less than 1/200 in the past anyway)

All 3 answers yes, probably D700 is for you.

End of the day both are good cameras, but 1 consideration is this. The D700 is coming to 5 years soon, and majority (80% is my guess, minimally) of photographers do change cameras. Those who own the D700 now are probably 2nd, 3rd, 4th etc owners. Many original owners would already have upgraded or downgraded due to whatever reasons. Only a handful of photographers use 1 camera their whole life, are you one of them? You have to ask yourself how long you can use this camera if you were to buy it now till the next upgrade. I believe it is good for AT LEAST a couple of years. But, given the close proximity of price between these 2 cameras, I will give both some careful thoughts (which I did before I made my purchase) and ask myself what I shoot mainly (travels etc).

I come from film camera. Now venturing into DSLR.

D600 - a bit plasticity, but better than same league canon
D700 - already 5 year old model, though I like the 'feel' and don't mind the weight
D800 - too expensive, I'm only an amataeur

Most likely to go for D600, waiting for the price to drop further in the next couple of months.