D600 Do You Have Spot/Oil Issue?

D600 Do You Have Spot/Oil Issue?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Guys,

May I know if the new D600 on the shelves still has oil/stain issue? Thinking to get one since my brother sold off his spare D700. Really love the camera and didn't take over from him is because i prefer to get one with video function.

Also considering a 5D Mkiii since i don't own any lens. Will pair it with the Sigma 35 f1.4 will do which i really love with the D700.

Not too sure. But if there is oil/dust, you can always revert back to NSC. The Malay guy is very helpful there. The ladies are very pretty too. :p

[Off topic] i am pairing my 5d3 with 16-35L II. A 135L or 70-200 II in future.

But i read that there there are repeated issues even though they are "fixed" and "cleaned'

I tried my Brother's D800 and the IQ and colour retention is really good.. Maybe the same as 5DM2?? :bigeyes::bigeyes: which i had a chance to use couple of years ago.. In fact i prefer 5D2 over the D700..

I read 5D3 IQ is not much of an improvement, what are your thoughts? I'm leaning towards D600 as i can borrow some lens from my bro if a need arise. Otherwise i really love the Sigma 35 f1.4..

Not too sure. But if there is oil/dust, you can always revert back to NSC. The Malay guy is very helpful there. The ladies are very pretty too. :p

[Off topic] i am pairing my 5d3 with 16-35L II. A 135L or 70-200 II in future.

But i read that there there are repeated issues even though they are "fixed" and "cleaned'

I tried my Brother's D800 and the IQ and colour retention is really good.. Maybe the same as 5DM2?? :bigeyes::bigeyes: which i had a chance to use couple of years ago.. In fact i prefer 5D2 over the D700..

I read 5D3 IQ is not much of an improvement, what are your thoughts? I'm leaning towards D600 as i can borrow some lens from my bro if a need arise. Otherwise i really love the Sigma 35 f1.4..

Initial before change. F8 ruined my landscape. After shuttle change, f16 onwards still ruined. But after a through clean (which I insist they do it for free), f20 is okay. But I sold it soon afterwards. :/
Again d600 is a good body. Depending on what you want.

[Offtopic]IQ is still spot on for me. But usually I uses spot focus instead of auto grabbing focus.

Went back nikon service center 15th times. In march they change shuttle motor for me and yesterday told me during june there is a version 2 shuttle blades and they claimed that it will fix this issue. so now only can pray that this fix is spot free! Guys if you change motor b4 june, maybe can go back again change another one.

Interesting to know that there is a shutter version2... Keep us update...

Went back nikon service center 15th times. In march they change shuttle motor for me and yesterday told me during june there is a version 2 shuttle blades and they claimed that it will fix this issue. so now only can pray that this fix is spot free! Guys if you change motor b4 june, maybe can go back again change another one.

Sorry to burst your bubble. Version 2 Shutter mechanism did not help my friend's D600. Less than 60 shots later after 2nd shutter change, he found half a dozen spots on his sensor. NSC cleaned it twice for him since but the spots still came back. Like me, he eventually gave up and upgraded to a D800. Now he's happy.

Last edited:
Buying a camera is one thing take care of it is another thing? All camera need maintenance. Dust & dirt & oil is a very common issue in all camera. Just like a car they too need servicing after 5000km of driving. I don't see this as an issue at all. Do your own servicing, learn to take care of your camera to keep it in top shape.

Buying a camera is one thing take care of it is another thing? All camera need maintenance. Dust & dirt & oil is a very common issue in all camera. Just like a car they too need servicing after 5000km of driving. I don't see this as an issue at all. Do your own servicing, learn to take care of your camera to keep it in top shape.

Dirt... oil... my D4 is in worse condition than my D600. Been putting off DIY cleaning, maybe should do it before I travel. D600 is back from Nikon from 1 shutter change. Yet to see if there's spots and issues.

Lenslust, love to hear from you how your D600 is after the shutter change.

Lenslust, love to hear from you how your D600 is after the shutter change.

Have been about 600 shots in since shutter change, shot the NDP fly past, the skies, so far, it's behaving better and cleaner than my stupid D4.

Did a day time time lapse the other day, over 200 shots, video looks clean also.

Pretty sure the issue isn't there anymore (nor was my set having the issue to begin with). My wife's set was plagued, haunted and diseased. After changing, so far, she has no complains yet. :)

@lenslust : That's positive. No wonder NSC is out of stock for shutter units at the moment. I was told to wait 2 weeks until the new stock arrives. Hope the lady remembers to ring me whenever it does. She does sound very confident that this can be fixed.
Cheers.

@lenslust : That's positive. No wonder NSC is out of stock for shutter units at the moment. I was told to wait 2 weeks until the new stock arrives. Hope the lady remembers to ring me whenever it does. She does sound very confident that this can be fixed.
Cheers.

I sent two units in earlier before NDP, got them within 3 days. 2 weeks was the standard 'wait' time. They happened to have stock, so was replaced very fast.

I bought my D600 abt 2 weeks ago, the 804XXXX batch of cameras. After less than 100 shots, I was already seeing close to 15 oil/dust spots on the sensor when editing my landscape shots on Adobe Photoshop. Sent it for sensor cleaning last week, the next day after the sensor cleaning the spots appeared again. Sent it back for shutter replacement on Monday, just received the D600 back from NSC earlier in the day. Anyway, I would like to debunk 2 rumours based on my experience:

1) Only D600 from the 805XXXX batch and later are supposedly freed from this oil/dust issue. 800XXXX to 804XXXX batches are all affected in some way or another, it's like a lucky draw for a non-defective set amongst these 4 batches. So to those potential D600 buyers, do ensure that your new D600 set is at least batch 805XXXX, else you will suffer the same fate as other current D600 owners.

2) The oil/dust issue plagues the D600 at all apertures, not just apertures of f/8 or smaller. Some of the rumours on the net have been saying that the oil spots are only visible at f/8 and below, but that is not true, since I could notice my dark oil spots on a landscape pic shot with a D600 + 24-85mm VR at f/3.5.

Last edited:
Enenyi, my set does show spots at some aperture only.
Strange enough, my set only shows minimal dust at f8, visible dust at f11 onwards. Weird thing is...., I shot a pic at f11, got dust. I then shot at f2 once or twice, the spots fade, after like 5 shots, the spots disappear like it was never there. I don't know how to explain it though. Just sent mine for cleaning alone yesterday, since the shutter is out of stock. After taking around 40 shots at f16 now, the sensor is still perfectly clean. Not sure if the spots will come back, but to play safe, I think I will still replace the shutter.
Cheers.

Last edited:
Strange enough, my set only shows minimal dust at f8, visible dust at f11 onwards. Weird thing is...., I shot a pic at f11, got dust. I then shot at f2 once or twice, the spots fade, after like 5 shots, the spots disappear like it was never there. I don't know how to explain it though. Just sent mine for cleaning alone yesterday, since the shutter is out of stock. After taking around 40 shots at f16 now, the sensor is still perfectly clean. Not sure if the spots will come back, but to play safe, I think I will still replace the shutter.
Cheers.

The smaller the aperture, the dust spots more visible. f/2.8 my D4 also no problem, f/14, up contrast, push saturation, all the dirt come out. Zzzz >15 spots.

Cheers.

I dunno wads your shooting context, but for mine, the behaviour seems to be tagged to the type of photos I shoot. When I shoot portraits/streets/candids, the oil/dust spots, though still there, are masked into the background as part of the bokeh. However, when I shoot landscapes shots (especially with the blue sky as part of the background), I start to notice these spots starting to appear mainly on the top left area of the image. And these spots appear irregardless of aperture, coz they appear when I shoot the landscape at f/3.5 (focusing on a subject), f/8 (cityscape) and f/22 (long exposure shots). The aperture difference only determines the darkness of these spots, with these spots at the brightest at f/3.5 and darkest (most noticeable) at f/22. And the problem is, even the appearance of these spots are at random. When they do appear in the photos, some of them are so noticeable that I can spot them on my D600 preview screen, while some of the photos I can only spot the spots upon enlarging the photo using Photoshop. So it has become quite irritating for me when I shoot, because I dunno if the next shot I take will be plagued by oil spots or not. But so far after my shutter change by NSC, no such problems yet. So I really hoping the issue is solved by a new shutter... :)

Anyway, for you, if you have the time and valid excuses (photos as evidence of the oil spots, in case), do go for a shutter change ASAP. Coz cleaning the sensor is not enough; it only delays the problem rather than solve it (as seen from my case). But even if you change the shutter, no guarantee that the oil/dust issue will go away. So best case scenario is the oil/dust issue gets fixed, worst case scenario is that upon the 3rd shutter change, you get to apply the Lemon Law to ask Nikon for a refund or a change to a new D600 set. :)

Just gotten myself with the D600 from Cathay and S/N is in the range of 804xxx and now clocking ard 1200 shutter counts. SO far no oil or dust spots on the sensor and been ultra happy with the image and video quality of it. Now making me wanna invest more into video equipment to get those cinema quality short clip... ha ha .... wish me luck

Can you share price that you got from cathey?

just reporting back.. i've had the D600 for close to 6 months now. After the shutter change, a few more spots appeared but it looks like there are no more new spots now for the past 2 months. Shutter count is around 5500.

I'll send it in for cleaning once more and the problem should be solved for good.

so it does look like the spot issue goes away with time. No need to panic.

cheers.

I dunno wads your shooting context, but for mine, the behaviour seems to be tagged to the type of photos I shoot. When I shoot portraits/streets/candids, the oil/dust spots, though still there, are masked into the background as part of the bokeh. However, when I shoot landscapes shots (especially with the blue sky as part of the background), I start to notice these spots starting to appear mainly on the top left area of the image. And these spots appear irregardless of aperture, coz they appear when I shoot the landscape at f/3.5 (focusing on a subject), f/8 (cityscape) and f/22 (long exposure shots). The aperture difference only determines the darkness of these spots, with these spots at the brightest at f/3.5 and darkest (most noticeable) at f/22. And the problem is, even the appearance of these spots are at random. When they do appear in the photos, some of them are so noticeable that I can spot them on my D600 preview screen, while some of the photos I can only spot the spots upon enlarging the photo using Photoshop. So it has become quite irritating for me when I shoot, because I dunno if the next shot I take will be plagued by oil spots or not. But so far after my shutter change by NSC, no such problems yet. So I really hoping the issue is solved by a new shutter... :)

Anyway, for you, if you have the time and valid excuses (photos as evidence of the oil spots, in case), do go for a shutter change ASAP. Coz cleaning the sensor is not enough; it only delays the problem rather than solve it (as seen from my case). But even if you change the shutter, no guarantee that the oil/dust issue will go away. So best case scenario is the oil/dust issue gets fixed, worst case scenario is that upon the 3rd shutter change, you get to apply the Lemon Law to ask Nikon for a refund or a change to a new D600 set. :)

As an ex D600 user, I too would like to share my experience.
Dust/spots for my unit were not visible at all whenever I shoot at f6 or wider. Never.
Starting from f/6 downwards, spots appeared, but not minimal here and there.
f/15 and more, appeared like a bush. Of course, as what other people mentioned, went for a sensor cleaning. Not helping.

So when the shuttle replacement service was available, I went for the change.
Again, though there was an improvement, but f/8 downwards, spots again appeared and f/15 and smaller, worse.
Took it for another cleaning. Insisted on FOC cleaning. It was better then.

It was a happy body. I came from d5100 to 7000 to d600. But d600 price was dropping sorta like a pancake so I changed to C. 5dm3.
Another reason is who knows when the spot/oil might come back.
Happier now.

I shot landscape, portraits, streets so I was in the same shoe as yours.

Anyway, I opened this thread before I purchase the d600. But it seems I left the body after not-too-long. :/

Oh to other guys, just go to NSC, say "D600, spots". Easy enough. No question asked. :)

Reactions: ageha
Status
Not open for further replies.