D5000 2nd lens help

Go for the Raynox, can use on many more lenses than traditional close-up filters cuz those have fixed filter threads. Might wanna invest in a flash also, they're important for macro. No flash for macro can get u nice images, but u will realise that most of the images will look flat cuz u are standing too close to ur subject and thus block the light.

If you're daring enuff to walk around with a DIY diffuser like this attached to the front of ur lens...pop-up flash is fine :)

35mm? You'll need a close-up filter.

close up filter? is that similar to what its called 'magnification' filter? how much does that costs? thanks for helping a newbie, really appreciate :)

Hi Friends
What is a raynox250, is it a closeup lens attached infront of normal lens ?

Thanks
alok

Actually the 55-200VR goes very well with the Raynox. You should consider that option.

Hmmm.... just did some reading on the net regarding the 250. Maybe perfect for your shoots, but I would require more DOF on my images... But thanks for the highlight! I may just get it for the 55-200mm to experience the fun like what you've been doing! :D

reading thru all the comments, was wondering, does the close up filters have a less shallow DOF than the raynox 250 then? because i read up some where else and saw that raynox250 DOF is quite shallow.

Go for the Raynox, can use on many more lenses than traditional close-up filters cuz those have fixed filter threads. Might wanna invest in a flash also, they're important for macro. No flash for macro can get u nice images, but u will realise that most of the images will look flat cuz u are standing too close to ur subject and thus block the light.

If you're daring enuff to walk around with a DIY diffuser like this attached to the front of ur lens...pop-up flash is fine :)

For both the 18-55 and 55-200, both have the same filter tread? so it doesn't really affects me isn't it? As for a flash, YES! that will be the next item after my 55-200mm.

For the DIY diffuser, i don't think i have the guts to walk around like that. Don't want to attract too much attention! Haha! Thanks anyway. By the way, i have a pop-up flash diffuser.

reading thru all the comments, was wondering, does the close up filters have a less shallow DOF than the raynox 250 then? because i read up some where else and saw that raynox250 DOF is quite shallow.

I don't know, you might want to see the pictures MadMartian has posted up on the Abstract life, Macro or Nature DG. Simply :thumbsup: A awesome! His Bugs are simply Bugalicious!

For his usage, I think the DOF works in his favour, maybe yours as well if you planning to do the same kind of shoots.

In my area, the DOF I require would be out of the normal range of uses.

Also, do remember that DOF can be INDIRECTLY influenced / limited by lighting situations (am I right Mr Man from Mars? Feel free to correct this stupid earthling)... :bsmilie:

Last edited:
For both the 18-55 and 55-200, both have the same filter tread? so it doesn't really affects me isn't it? As for a flash, YES! that will be the next item after my 55-200mm.

For the DIY diffuser, i don't think i have the guts to walk around like that. Don't want to attract too much attention! Haha! Thanks anyway. By the way, i have a pop-up flash diffuser.

Haha me too, I wouldn't want to walk around with that. Don't want everyone staring at me while I'm shooting.

Haha me too, I wouldn't want to walk around with that. Don't want everyone staring at me while I'm shooting.

Forgive me, is that a modified noodle cup bowl? Actually, if you spray the outside black, tape some gold rings around the edges, stencil some why Dry-transfers (which you can buy off the shelve) like "Pro-Fuser XS201"... who knows, maybe people will be convinced? And maybe even buy some from you? :bsmilie:

Last edited:
I don't know, you might want to see the pictures MadMartian has posted up on the Abstract life, Macro or Nature DG. Simply :thumbsup: A awesome! His Bugs are simply Bugalicious!

For his usage, I think the DOF works in his favour, maybe yours as well if you planning to do the same kind of shoots.

Also, do remember that DOF can be INDIRECTLY influenced / limited by lighting situations (am I right Mr Man from Mars? Feel free to correct this stupid earthling)... :bsmilie:

DoF is affect by the following only:

Focal length
Aperture
distance of the subject to the camera
sensor size (because for the same focal length in FF, to get the subject to look the same in the viewfinder, you have to get closer physically).

Of course, if your lighting is very strong, you can use a smaller aperture, giving you deeper DoF. But to put it your way of saying it, is a little awkward.

DoF is affect by the following only:

Focal length
Aperture
distance of the subject to the camera
sensor size (because for the same focal length in FF, to get the subject to look the same in the viewfinder, you have to get closer physically).

Of course, if your lighting is very strong, you can use a smaller aperture, giving you deeper DoF. But to put it your way of saying it, is a little awkward.

Thank you for correcting it. Yes, my comments are quite awkward, now that you mentioned it - too much of a short cut huh? :bsmilie:

Yes, all of the above that you've mentioned, but can I say that Lightning plays a much bigger role over all of them? (I may be wrong)

Last edited:
Thank you for correcting it. Yes, my comments are quite awkward, now that you mentioned it - too much of a short cut huh? :bsmilie:

Yes, all of the above that you've mentioned, but can I say that Lightning plays a much bigger role over all of them? (I may be wrong)

Lighting plays no direct role.

It only allows you to use a smaller aperture if it is strong. That's all.

Lighting plays no direct role.

It only allows you to use a smaller aperture if it is strong. That's all.

Thanks, I did mention INDIRECT.

If it the lightning is not strong enough, means you need to open up your aperture a bit, would that reduce DOF (again I maybe wrong)?

Thanks, I did mention INDIRECT.

If it the lightning is not strong enough, means you need to open up your aperture a bit, would that reduce DOF (again I maybe wrong)?

You could up the ISO also or use a slower shutter speed. Aperture is only one of the options.

You could up the ISO also or use a slower shutter speed. Aperture is only one of the options.

Thanks for the clarification. Provided the ISO at the higher level doesn't give too much unacceptable noise level (pending which camera body) that is. My experience is from SLRs, I've yet to transfer my skills onto DSLRs at the moment. From my previous experience, I'd close my aperture to the smallest, use the slowest shutter speed possible (1 or 2 stops below the recommended), control the light and use the lowest possible ISO (for increased detail and sharpness) and at the same time to get the maximum DOF possible. At that time, I was using ISO 80 films... Which is why, lighting to me is the utmost importance in what I'm doing - if I can set the best lighting possible, I'd able to max out the DOF without increasing ISO (both of which I need to maintain).

Last edited:
Is that with the S$105 price tag? What's the magnification may I ask?
Think its around 125 bucks & its +8 mag

Thank you for your bugalicious comment :) Much practice is needed when using the raynox 250. Once you get it right, then its just practice makes perfect.
But then again, how you want the DOF to work for you is depending on your shoot. Not all shoots need to be f22 or f2, so it depends on the subject & how you want to translate your shot.
As for your last question, daredevil123 has given you the answer.
I see that you're being poisoned here.......:bsmilie: ;)