D5 in first quarter 2016... shall see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
From another site....

" the D5 kicks off their next round of cameras, and it’s highly likely to be accompanied by one or more other cameras (ala the D3/D300 and D4/D800 launches). "

Interesting... will we see a D400 / D500 with the D5 ? ;) ;)

From another site....

" the D5 kicks off their next round of cameras, and it’s highly likely to be accompanied by one or more other cameras (ala the D3/D300 and D4/D800 launches). "

Aiyo .. the damn rumor of the D400 has made my neck long for so many years.. give up the ghost already on them .. it will never happen heh end up the D4 was my pick to represent my 50th Birthday.

From another site....

To late I think it would be a stupid move unless they can trick a bunch of prosumers with some kind of fantastic marketing or they plan to sell low volume of units to cruise ships and working photographers...that last part seems like it would have a lot of competition.

I'd buy a D700 before a D400 any day of the week.

Note. If the D5 is released with a mirrorless FX Nikon will be the talk of the town. Mirrorless FX or even DX camera has now replaced the D400 in the wish for category concerning Nikon!

Last edited:
To late I think it would be a stupid move unless they can trick a bunch of prosumers with some kind of fantastic marketing or they plan to sell low volume of units to cruise ships and working photographers...that last part seems like it would have a lot of competition.

I'd buy a D700 before a D400 any day of the week.

Note. If the D5 is released with a mirrorless FX Nikon will be the talk of the town. Mirrorless FX or even DX camera has now replaced the D400 in the wish for category concerning Nikon!

Actually for sports and wildlife folks, the D400 will be a Godsend.

Actually for sports and wildlife folks, the D400 will be a Godsend.

True that...it seems like it will be an act of God/miracle when the D400 arrives if it ever does Albert. Like brother Sammy said that one is DOA for many folks. They missed their chance. Or maybe it would be a masterstroke of genius and everyone would buy one (2 grand?). I guess with competition so fierce it might be sensible to make every thing you can. They sure are cranking the new models out fast nowadays and people seem to be buying them all in droves...all makers not just Nikon. But what about the high end stuff? Is it profitable enough? I bet a camera company executive is a really tough job.

Last edited:
Of this entire post of yours, the thing that struck me the most was that you're 52yo! All along I have thought you are 30+yo based on the profile picture, which looks "young".

I agree with most of the points you mentioned, but personally I love all the improvements in AF tracking and high iso performance. These 2 features had allowed me to deliver shots which would otherwise be impossible.

If let's say one's shooting mainly stationary stuffs like landscapes/portraits with good lighting, and where you have the time to adjust, all cameras would be sufficient to capture the scenes. But for things such as S-League football matches which I shoot regularly, only the "technicaly superior" cameras such as your D4 could cut it.

Imagine this: all football matches are held in the evenings, which even with the floodlights, is still pretty dim. The football players twist and turns instantneously and requires a shutter speed of at least 1/1000s to capture. Even though I am already using the super tele 500mmf4, the iso has to fly to at least 6,400 or 12,800 for such shots. If the camera's high iso performance is poor, I would not be able to deliver good images to the S League teams/FAS.

I'm glad that technology advancements could allow me to deliver results under poor circumstances.

(And yes, the AF tracking really works, and it's rather accurate! try it on a fast lens to see the magic!]

Good genes and 50 is the new 30. The D4 was my 50th Anniversary milestone heh. I would not go all crazy with throwing money in the wind. :)

And if you shoot for FAS you are not part of the 90% of shooters heh. so of course you need more power features to justify constant upgrading. Even at this point in time, what the D300 can do in the hands of a good photographer like I have seen their work and they are in CS are already amazing within the confine of the D300's featured technology.

True that...it seems like it will be an act of God/miracle when the D400 arrives if it ever does Albert. Like brother Sammy said that one is DOA for many folks. They missed their chance. Or maybe it would be a masterstroke of genius and everyone would buy one (2 grand?). I guess with competition so fierce it might be sensible to make every thing you can. They sure are cranking the new models out fast nowadays and people seem to be buying them all in droves...all makers not just Nikon. But what about the high end stuff? Is it profitable enough? I bet a camera company executive is a really tough job.

You know, I always thought the D7000 DX DSLR including it's successor after that to be the D400. Why I did not bite to get that was the puny looking body. It was made of the right material but the body was just too puny and light for my taste. But it is a damn fine DX camera.

If anyone is looking to grab some great deals on a secondhand Pro body when the D5 comes out and price drop, I would think a good buy would be the D3x.

Last edited:
You know, I always thought the D7000 DX DSLR including it's successor after that to be the D400. Why I did not bite to get that was the puny looking body. It was made of the right material but the body was just too puny and light for my taste. But it is a damn fine DX camera.

If anyone is looking to grab some great deals on a secondhand Pro body when the D5 comes out and price drop, I would think a good buy would be the D3x.

Problem with the d7xxx series is the limited buffer. Even with the 7200 o can only manage 13 shots in raw after optimizing the.settings for speed.

Problem with the d7xxx series is the limited buffer. Even with the 7200 o can only manage 13 shots in raw after optimizing the.settings for speed.

welll... sometime as you know certain tech advances just take a little longer to trickle down toward to lower level DSLRs. Fast memory buffer tech the way I can burst mode on the D4 is not cheap but then again sometime, certain features are like DNA characteristic gene to make a certain DLSR specialized for purpose of use. Like the way they did with the D3 and D3x one more for sports and the other for portrait work.

In any case I have stopped waiting ofr the D400 after so many years I waited. But the D7200 is a pretty damn good DLSR for it's price still just a bit too small in my view to manhandle for stability.....and as the saying goes.. once you go full sensor, you would go back heh

Last edited:
Nikon should just stick to the usual cf or so card slot.

What is this xqd card?!

Even Sony also doesn't use this card slot in their latest cameras

Nikon should just stick to the usual cf or so card slot.

What is this xqd card?!

I have it for my D4s. I am also using CF for my D800e and SD for pretty much the rest. My personal opinion: in terms of performance, reliability, and form factor, the XQD is the best - hands down. It is still faster than the high end CF card that I have. And in terms of handling, it is the right size, right construction. I always worry about inserting CF cards into the pins for fear of spoiling them. SD cards are ok but I don't like the exposed contact pads.

By the way, CF cards are based on parallel ATA of the PC, while XQD is based on PCI-E (from what I know - correct me if I am wrong).

Even Sony also doesn't use this card slot in their latest cameras.

Not an issue to me - I only have the Nikon system.

I have it for my D4s. I am also using CF for my D800e and SD for pretty much the rest. My personal opinion: in terms of performance, reliability, and form factor, the XQD is the best - hands down. It is still faster than the high end CF card that I have. And in terms of handling, it is the right size, right construction. I always worry about inserting CF cards into the pins for fear of spoiling them. SD cards are ok but I don't like the exposed contact pads.

I've broken at least 2-3 CF card readers in my lifetime. (damn bent pins!) I was soo happy when SD cards came about... My only issue with SD card is the write-protect plastic breaks off :(

By the way, CF cards are based on parallel ATA of the PC, while XQD is based on PCI-E (from what I know - correct me if I am wrong).

Not an issue to me - I only have the Nikon system.
For a work camera whereby we need multiple cards work flow, it is not ideal.

1. Xqd non if the major card makers are actually manufacturing in large quantities. Hence the high price we pay for the Xqd.

2. Yes faster, but not a lot faster. The bottle neck for the buffer after a burst shot is still card 1. The cf...

They should really drop the idea of a xqd

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

$original.jpg

We shall see...... ;) ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.