D300s User Thread

Just realise that D3 has a shutter life of 300,000. I think the Nikon guy gave me the wrong camera shutter life.

According to the Nikon Technician, the shutter can be replaced at about $200++.

Which lens is popular among D300s users?

more towards 3rd party or Nikkor? :)

Lenses usually depends on your shooting style. Some people prefer prime lens eg. 85mm 1.4 for portrait shoot. Some people are comfortable with telephoto coz they use it for street shoot or action/sports shoot eg. 70-200 2.8.

As of Nikkor or 3rd party, it will depend on your budget. If budget is not a problem, then better settle with Nikkor lenses which IMO, got better focusing speed and better IQ. ;)

Ha. That's a loaded question. But does it matter? I think lens choice is pretty much dictated by shooting style, specific photographic interests and perhaps budget.

Hi ppl,
Bought a 2nd hand D300s with warrenty recently. All functions well except for the ISO changing. Its a bit retarded cos when i press and hold the ISO button, and turn the command dial too fast, the ISO don't change. Instead you have to click 1 click at a time for it to be effective. Is there something wrong with the function or that's the way the ISO works for D300s. Will appreciate any advice for experience users here.
Thanks in advance

Hi ppl,
Bought a 2nd hand D300s with warrenty recently. All functions well except for the ISO changing. Its a bit retarded cos when i press and hold the ISO button, and turn the command dial too fast, the ISO don't change. Instead you have to click 1 click at a time for it to be effective. Is there something wrong with the function or that's the way the ISO works for D300s. Will appreciate any advice for experience users here.
Thanks in advance

I just tried mine, the ISO changed even if I turned the dial very fast. It could be your dial. I suggest having NSC check your unit since it still has warranty.

Thanks r0n1n, Will bring it in then.

This site seems to refer to D300. Does the last portion really applies to D300s "performance reduce at 50,000"?

Cheers:)

Anyone??:dunno: Really bugging me what this sentence means?:kok:

Any people know where to find info for D300s 's shutter count life? Cos my shutter count is abt 7k. So is it time to go reset?? :dunno:

The only time you can reset a shutter count is to either 1) get a new camera body, 2) have a new shutter assembly installed by Nikon SC. Those are the only times NSC will reset your shutter count. It is the same thing as your car's odometer.

If you are paranoid about your shutter count of 7k, you are always welcome to get NSC to replace your shutter assembly for a few hundred dollars.

BTW, you can see shutter count info in the EXIF info of every picture you have taken. Use use any software that can read exif info. The freeware Opanda Iexif comes to mine. Google it.

what is the free SDHC card given when purchasing D300s? :dunno:

which CF or SD cards do you all use for this camera?

Depends on the seller really. When I got it at SLRR, it was 2 pieces of the 8gig of the normal type, u know, the red and blue ones. I traded those back in.

Depends on the seller really. When I got it at SLRR, it was 2 pieces of the 8gig of the normal type, u know, the red and blue ones. I traded those back in.

must be these

i think sandisk extreme III would be suffice for 7fps raw shoot :think:

What i got was 2 x SDHC under Nikon brand. But i am currently using both the SDHC + CF(16GB) card with the CF being the secondary/ overflow option.

must be these

i think sandisk extreme III would be suffice for 7fps raw shoot :think:

Yes, those are the ones offered as free gifts.

I am using a Sandisk Extreme 16GB CF as primary, and a 16GB Ultra SDHC as overflow.

i exchanged the free sdhc for a CF 4gb extremeIV as my primary and my old Ultra II sdhc as my back up or over flow.

Last edited:

I use the Sandisk Extreme 8GB CF Card UDMA (60MB/s) and a Sandisk Ultra II 8GB SDHC Card (15MB/s)

I got mine today. :D

free 2pcs Kingston SD 8Gb Class4.
I will use that until I need faster cards.

Also grab the 16-85VR and SB-600 from CP. :sweatsm:

I got mine today. :D

free 2pcs Kingston SD 8Gb Class4.
I will use that until I need faster cards.

Also grab the 16-85VR and SB-600 from CP. :sweatsm:

congratz, and welcome... enjoy the camera...~~!!!:cool: