D300 .... Very noisy mirror slaps for seminar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
D300's aperture lever is operated by gear which is not like D700 or D3 that uses motor.
The slap is significantly stronger and louder for the D300, especially if you're using aperture ring to control the aperture like I do.
In short, the slap will only get louder through time.

d300 no AF motor drive? i thought it is either you have AF motor drive or dont have in the camera in which determines the type of lenses that you can use. I am confused on this by your explanation.

Neither the flipping of aperture gear, the lens shutter nor the camera shutter is making a lot of noise but rather the slapping of the mirror is. What does the aperture lever got anything to do with the mirror slap? any info on this in the internet?

The thing that you are speaking is for auto-focus (AF) but not for the control of the aperture lever.
If you snap your shutter without a lens on, you'll see that the lever will snap down before your mirror will flip up then close. This is to stop down the aperture to what you've indicated for your shot.
Both will constitute to the loud sounds that you're hearing.
I'm not as bothered with the sound as with the vibration that I'm experiencing though I'd love for it to be much softer.
You can consider to change to Canon or to a rangefinder if you think that this is making you peeved.

Or get an m4/3 camera, no mirror ... Olympus -EP1 or E-P2 shutter is softer and quieter than Panasonic GF1, though.

was eyeing on the E-P1 sometime back but something changed my mind. Will seriously consider it as an option (E-P2 or much much later version) to more expensive alternative (leica) in which i am NATO.

The thing that you are speaking is for auto-focus (AF) but not for the control of the aperture lever.
If you snap your shutter without a lens on, you'll see that the lever will snap down before your mirror will flip up then close. This is to stop down the aperture to what you've indicated for your shot.
Both will constitute to the loud sounds that you're hearing.
I'm not as bothered with the sound as with the vibration that I'm experiencing though I'd love for it to be much softer.
You can consider to change to Canon or to a rangefinder if you think that this is making you peeved.

The aperture lever flapping is not really a noise maker for me. Enclosed together with a lens then probably you would not be able to hear it. but slapping of the mirror, you would need ten tons of clothing on the camera to cover the sound.

I dont have any problem with the sound of the mirror slaps in normal situations but since the taking up of the seminar job had made my perspective changed on how a camera should be....... to be versatile in all scenarios.

Maybe i get some of my friends to upgrade earlier to canon full frame then i play their toys in pretense of testing their equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.