D300 .... Very noisy mirror slaps for seminar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
solution: get a cam without a mirror ;)
eg. M9 :sweatsm:

Are you using aperture ring or command dial for your aperture control ?
Can be aperture or manual. Got diff meh?

i think, what TS meant, upgrade to full frame and the mirror slap noise are 2 different things, someone suggested that D300s got this quiet mode, but TS said he will not "upgrade" to a D300s just because of the quiet mode, even if he wants to upgrade, he will consider a full frame body (nothing to do with the mirror slap noise).

There is a chinese proverb that goes like this: you are like a worm in my stomach! lub u deep deep! :bsmilie:

to solve the problem:

1) make the shots count. how many photos are used at the end? how many are you taking? if you are taking 200 and the result is that only 2 need to be used, then you should have only taken 8 maximum.

2) be sensitive, if the speaker is speaking and he wants to be heard, you have the choice to choose not to take.

i can hear the quiet aircon in the room operating.... so the piak sound is very distinct. Later the speakers lost their train of thought and forgotten their well-trained speech then i ..... lose face siah!

Cover your camera with THICK towel lor

Am i genius??

Thought of that too! but not pro leh! All wear coat and i wear towel.

D70 shutter very quiet ... but hor... you know.

D700 or D70? ..... If D700 then ok, there is a famous phrase by some ah beng. "all things must try then you know". Lend me for half a year, ok?:sweatsm:

---
anyway, i have tried doing some mod inside the camera by pasting heavy duty double sided tape where the slapping areas are. It helps very very little but at least something. Dont think any further improvement can be made as i see the actual slapping in the camera..... giving up seems to be a better option unless some genius has made remarkable improvement to a noise-less slapping. Adding tape to the slapping area seems to make my focusing abit screwy also... maybe my eyes are bit **** after these two full days of piak piak piak.

Last edited:
Works for Canon doesn't work for Nikon :sweat:

When you fire a shot in LV, the mirror slaps down and performs a conventional shutter cycle (pretty stupid, imho)

To TS:
Get/Rent a Leica. Problem solved ;)

HOw can it be stupid? Live View was designed for... well... LIVE VIEW!!! Why did you buy a D-SLR if you don't like the conventional mirror design on the first place?

Help!!!! Freaking noisy! any way to dampen the noise from the mirror slaps?

The speakers and the facilitators seems damn cheesed! :cry:

I think you need a Leica. :bsmilie:

Can be aperture or manual. Got diff meh?

There is a difference.
I've been using aperture ring for my D300 ever since I bought it.
Shutter is not only loud but it brings about vibration as well.

HOw can it be stupid? Live View was designed for... well... LIVE VIEW!!! Why did you buy a D-SLR if you don't like the conventional mirror design on the first place?

you don't get it :rolleyes:

For Canon DSLRs, the mirror opens when LV is activated. When you fire a shot, the shutter curtain opens and closes for the exposure. Then the mirror closes.

For Nikon DSLRs, the mirror opens when LV is activated. When you fire a shot, the mirror closes, then opens again, the shutter curtain opens and closes for the exposure. Then the mirror closes.

and yes, i do find it unnecessary :sweat:

GAFFER the mirror for the BOOMZ!!

Help!!!! Freaking noisy! any way to dampen the noise from the mirror slaps?

The speakers and the facilitators seems damn cheesed! :cry:

you can try shooting from a distance. maybe the 70-200mm f2.8 or the 70-300mm.:)

you don't get it :rolleyes:

For Canon DSLRs, the mirror opens when LV is activated. When you fire a shot, the shutter curtain opens and closes for the exposure. Then the mirror closes.

For Nikon DSLRs, the mirror opens when LV is activated. When you fire a shot, the mirror closes, then opens again, the shutter curtain opens and closes for the exposure. Then the mirror closes.

and yes, i do find it unnecessary :sweat:

Not sure about other Canon Body, 7D have no such issue...

This is a Camera Muzzle. :bigeyes:

camera_muzzle_1.jpg

Wah, imagine going around seminar room carrying this ...

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/content_page.asp?cid=7-3408-3436

Yeah, when I switched from D80 to D300, I was "surprised" by the
difference in the shutter sound. It was so noticeable. :(

what is a camera muzzle?

Last edited:
The camera muzzle looks so scary!
But how effective is it in reducing the noise?
Cut by 1/2? Reduce to 1/4 noise level?

The camera muzzle looks so scary!
But how effective is it in reducing the noise?
Cut by 1/2? Reduce to 1/4 noise level?
scary? you have not seen this yet, the price and the look is even more scary....

it mainly use for taking still images in cine industry..

http://www.soundblimp.com/

There is a difference.
I've been using aperture ring for my D300 ever since I bought it.
Shutter is not only loud but it brings about vibration as well.
just tried! mission failed.

GAFFER the mirror for the BOOMZ!!
Can you DIY and show us the pics? :eek:

you can try shooting from a distance. maybe the 70-200mm f2.8 or the 70-300mm.:)
i was using a variety of lenses which included 80-200 F2.8. 70-300 in normal lighting is asking for trouble especially when i am not using a snoot for my flash. That is of course beside the point, the audience is just 1m away regardless of where i try to shoot.

----
I have tried testing yesterday night in using cloth to dampen the sound and it seems to help much better than my useless internal mod of double sided tape. But of course, i dont have anything pro looking enough to use it in the shoot. Maybe next time i would pop by OP to check on their range of Billingham products and ..... perhaps they might have a Billingham towel for me to use. Well! it is a "prada" for photography.

So what jasonlcs & catchlights recommended seems to be a solution to dampening sound from mirror slaps. I am not dismissing any other viable solutions including my worthless mod or even camera manufacturer to design a internal swivel&spring mirror slap which minimised noise.

Seriously! i would like to hear from those who took up those concert jobs in which silent is the utmost importance for a good performance! :bsmilie:

Next time when i do research for a "better" camera, i make sure mirror slap noise is one of the criteria! :sweat:

just tried! mission failed.

D300's aperture lever is operated by gear which is not like D700 or D3 that uses motor.
The slap is significantly stronger and louder for the D300, especially if you're using aperture ring to control the aperture like I do.
In short, the slap will only get louder through time.

D300's aperture lever is operated by gear which is not like D700 or D3 that uses motor.
The slap is significantly stronger and louder for the D300, especially if you're using aperture ring to control the aperture like I do.
In short, the slap will only get louder through time.

d300 no AF motor drive? i thought it is either you have AF motor drive or dont have in the camera in which determines the type of lenses that you can use. I am confused on this by your explanation.

Neither the flipping of aperture gear, the lens shutter nor the camera shutter is making a lot of noise but rather the slapping of the mirror is. What does the aperture lever got anything to do with the mirror slap? any info on this in the internet?

d300 no AF motor drive? i thought it is either you have AF motor drive or dont have in the camera in which determines the type of lenses that you can use. I am confused on this by your explanation.

Neither the flipping of aperture gear, the lens shutter nor the camera shutter is making a lot of noise but rather the slapping of the mirror is. What does the aperture lever got anything to do with the mirror slap? any info on this in the internet?

time to change :)

Status
Not open for further replies.