D2H or S3Pro -- Which one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Watcher said:
Question is this: Is the DR worth the compromise to the AF module and MP? That is a question every buyer should ask. For the photo or sports journalists, they would mostly preferred the high fps and AF rather than the DR. The DR of the D2X/D2H is about that of slides. So? Is the DR of slides inferior? :rolleyes:

As for the "Nikon is that they launch D2H only to have a few months down the road come up a D2X that can do every thing a D2H can but better" part, 17 months (hardly "a few months") is a long time. It is call progress. Everyone does it. Eg D60 -> 10D 10 months.

As for the price drop, isn't it better for the consumers? If you want to compare about dropping of price and product, do the "other" brand :rolleyes: .

Wah seh, I forget to log in to Clubsnap for a few months... and I see pple getting into fisticuffs again.

I dun really care much about CAM modules... I dun wan to talk about DR too...

I just know that I sit in front of a flower for hours and take pictures of it.

Need fast focusing meh? :sticktong Nice punchy colours would be nice... ESPN lar, AJ lar, Watcher lar, Clown lar... all of whom should know why I'm sticking with S3.

Padawan said:
Er, both you and Watcher are half-right. The D2H was announced in July 2003, but the actual product hit the market in late 2003 or early 2004 (cannot remember now). You can argue whether a launch is the same as "announcement" or when the product actually is in the hands of photographers. It doesn't matter so much in the Canon line because they get their product to market within weeks of launch - both the 20D and 1DSMk2 hit the market within 1 month of product announcement. But with Nikon there is a big difference - they take a long time to get their products to market. D2X - announced in September but probably only appear on the market in January. I see no point arguing about semantics and I award 1/2 a point to each of you.
The D2H was announced on 22 July 2003 (according to DP Review) here. It was already available in Sep/Oct 2003. Ask the first set of D2H users themselves. I won't name names but a quick scan of B&S and posting will tell you as much. As for the D2X, announced on 16 Sep 2004 at Photokina, making it 14 months. However, it has yet to arrive and should do so about Jan/Feb 2005. Quick count:12 + 4 (Oct to Feb) = 16. If you take into account that some received the D2H in Sep, that makes it 17 months. Even if D2X comes exactly in end Jan, the best case of 15 months is more than "a few", more than enough for a baby to be born. :rolleyes:

Padawan said:
BTW the sudden price drop of the D2H has raised a few eyebrows ;) Normally, over a product's lifetime the market price will slowly drop as demand eases. e.g. Canon 10D hit the market at USD$2000 but the price slowly went down to $1300 just before it got replaced by the 20D. Sudden price drop like that bound to raise speculation :)
True, but the Canon 1D dropped its price by more than US$1k in its first year of release. Search DPReview for the post yourself; the post came out after the D2H price cut.

singscott said:
Woa loa you must be a lawyer and die hard Nikon fan. Better careful with my words or my words will be twisted. :confused: D2H is not lanuched 17months ago it was only lanuch this year 2004 not 2003 where the 17 months? D2X also lanuched this year 2004. You are good with word but not math :bsmilie: Progess to you, sc**w to me.
And you can't even do basic research. Or facts. Zero credibility :rolleyes:

singscott said:
My point is D2H not a good buy compare to Fuji S3Pro is 1) D2H is more expenise even it is on it way out, 2) Small CCD even it is LBCast small is small can't put silcon to make it big, 3) Dymanic range even some people dun understand it is better on fuji S3pro and 4) straight from the camera on proper expose S3pro produce colour that is better on frontier machine.
1) Please list out the price for both D2H (after cut) and S3Pro (hint, compare the US prices at B&H). On the way out? Well, cameras that are "already out", can still take great photos. Just check out which camera is used to take the Nat. Geo special ed for the 100th anniversary of flight.

2) The sensor size for both LBCast and super CCD is about the same.

3) I don't deny that the DR for S3Pro is superior. However, to dismiss superior AF (CAM 900 vs CAM 2000), 8fps, i-TTL etc without even trying to see its worth is beyond ridiculous.

4) It may be better straight out, but a) who use their images here straight out without even bothering to sharpen? b) if you can't get the shot, it does not matter does it?

singscott said:
Of course if you want to say is there nothing good about D2H. It is fast in autofocus and buffering memory then fuji S3pro. But not something D2X can't do. At the price I go for D2X. Why get sc**w? Then again the question is to compare D2H to Fuji S3 Pro. If the question go should I get D2H. I say dun get sc**w :devil:
D2X cannot do something that D2H can: price. So you want to compare D2H vs S3Pro like the poster or D2X vs S3Pro? You can't have both you know.

Further to the above post, see what equipment a pro use to shoot two reality TV shows: The Apprentice Season 2 and Contender.

Some quotes:
"I used a Nikon D100 and D70, as they're light-weight, excellent image quality, very low-noise up to 1600 ISO, long battery life (and they both use the same battery) and fairly quiet. For Contender I added the D2H for fight nights, as 8 frames per second with fast auto-focus made shooting boxing fun"

So, an old model (D100) and a camera that is alleged noisy camera at high ISO used and praise. A 8fps feature that is deemed useless when compared to greater DR. :think:

Watcher said:
Some quotes:
"I used a Nikon D100 and D70, as they're light-weight, excellent image quality, very low-noise up to 1600 ISO, long battery life (and they both use the same battery) and fairly quiet. For Contender I added the D2H for fight nights, as 8 frames per second with fast auto-focus made shooting boxing fun"

So, an old model (D100) and a camera that is alleged noisy camera at high ISO used and praise. A 8fps feature that is deemed useless when compared to greater DR. :think:

A lesson in basic comprehension. You left out the first part of that quote, which I have reinserted:

"The lighter you can travel, the better. I used a Nikon D100 and D70, as they're light-weight, excellent image quality, very low-noise up to 1600 ISO, long battery life (and they both use the same battery) and fairly quiet ..."

Given that the S2 Pro weighs 760g (no battery or lens) vs. the D70 (595g with no batt/lens) AND comes with an integrated vertical grip that you cannot remove, maybe that's one of the reasons why he chose the D100/D70.

What's more, you cannot twist his comments around to indicate that he prefers D100/D70 to S2/S3Pro. Where in that article of his did he indicate that the S2/S3Pro even entered the equation? One could speculate all sorts of ungenerous motives behind your rather shabby misinterpretation of his words but since I don't know you i'll leave it at that.

I'll finish off with a quote of yours.

Watcher said:
Zero credibility :rolleyes:

You seem like a very angry man, Watcher. Why not just take a chill pill and relax? Stop abusing people all the time.

Padawan said:
A lesson in basic comprehension. You left out the first part of that quote, which I have reinserted:

"The lighter you can travel, the better. I used a Nikon D100 and D70, as they're light-weight, excellent image quality, very low-noise up to 1600 ISO, long battery life (and they both use the same battery) and fairly quiet ..."

Given that the S2 Pro weighs 760g (no battery or lens) vs. the D70 (595g with no batt/lens) AND comes with an integrated vertical grip that you cannot remove, maybe that's one of the reasons why he chose the D100/D70.
I posted the link, I would expect anyone to read the entire article. He did say he like the camera with "excellent image quality", "very low-noise", etc. At a difference of oh 165g, would he bother to take these cameras if they are not good? D100 itself weigh 700g (from DPReview) With the grip, the D100 would exceed the the weight of the D70 by more than 165g; I know, I own one; the MBD100 does not weigh 65g ;) So the weight is not the only criteria, since he took the D100 as well, right? And also pray tell, where did I compare to S2 Pro on this? :dunno: Show me which post where I mentioned S2 Pro?

For the record, I do heartly agree with Clown and VincentLin on their decision because it is more suitable for what they shoot.

Padawan said:
What's more, you cannot twist his comments around to indicate that he prefers D100/D70 to S2/S3Pro. Where in that article of his did he indicate that the S2/S3Pro even entered the equation? One could speculate all sorts of ungenerous motives behind your rather shabby misinterpretation of his words but since I don't know you i'll leave it at that.
I didn't "twist his comments". I mentioned that the D100/D70 are good cams even the "old" D100. Show me the line where I compared to any other camera.

So. I mentioned no S2 Pro at all; you added that part in. He compared D2H and S3 Pro and then to D2X in the quote below. Which does it want to compare?

Quote at 1855 hrs
"Of course if you want to say is there nothing good about D2H. It is fast in autofocus and buffering memory then fuji S3pro. But not something D2X can't do. At the price I go for D2X. Why get sc**w? Then again the question is to compare D2H to Fuji S3 Pro. If the question go should I get D2H. I say dun get sc**w "

I said: "So, an old model (D100) and a camera that is alleged noisy camera at high ISO used and praise. A 8fps feature that is deemed useless when compared to greater DR."

The "8fps feature" refers to the D2H, just which was dismissed as not important when compared to greater DR.

Padawan said:
I'll finish off with a quote of yours.
Well thanks. I'm not that one who got the basic facts (of when D2H is launched and price of S3Pro US$2499 vs D2H US$1999 where he that the "D2H is more expenise even it is on it way out" - Post #37 1855 hrs ) wrong and go around insulting people with "You are good with word but not math Progess to you, sc**w to me." - posted by Singscott #37 at 1855 hrs.

padawan said:
You seem like a very angry man, Watcher. Why not just take a chill pill and relax? Stop abusing people all the time.
Who started abusing people with insults? I started questioning his assertions (not even facts, mind you), he started to insult and propagate all the wrong info (date, price, etc). I attempted to correct, he didn't even acknowledge that he was wrong. I challenge his assertion. You came in and said I was abusive. Who is being abused here?

Watcher said:

1) Please list out the price for both D2H (after cut) and S3Pro (hint, compare the US prices at B&H). On the way out? Well, cameras that are "already out", can still take great photos. Just check out which camera is used to take the Nat. Geo special ed for the 100th anniversary of flight.

3) I don't deny that the DR for S3Pro is superior. However, to dismiss superior AF (CAM 900 vs CAM 2000), 8fps, i-TTL etc without even trying to see its worth is beyond ridiculous.

4) It may be better straight out, but a) who use their images here straight out without even bothering to sharpen? b) if you can't get the shot, it does not matter does it?

D2X cannot do something that D2H can: price. So you want to compare D2H vs S3Pro like the poster or D2X vs S3Pro? You can't have both you know.

See I mean I get my word twisted.

Watcher said:

I base my fact of what I see when the camera is lanuched or going to lanuch on local market. May be I can't precise tell you when they are announce, I am not a die hard like you. If I am offend you for getting the date wrong sorry loh :cry: But it still SC**W to have a new expensvie Professional DLSR camera in matter of what 1 year and what 4 months to replace "not comparement" a new expensive Professional DSLR. Only die hard like you think is good to tell poeple to get sc**w. You can point one a millon site telling you Nikon D2H is good, Show me you can to do it again afew month down the road when D2X is out. I can darn to say I can point to you a few site that will tell you fuji s3pro is darn good camera afew month down the road. :sweat:

Watcher said:

That before S3pro and D2X is lanuch I did my "Research"

Watcher said:

Dolly Patton and a local Ah lian could be same in height, they the same?

Again math thing 4 mega = 2 x 6 mega sensors :sticktong

Watcher said:

Thanks for know DR in S3pro may be there hope for you after all :D Yes I had anknowlegde that D2H is a "FASTER" camera. But like some people have told you there a whole other world in photography other then "war" photography. :sweat:

Watcher said:

Yes I would to do less PS sometime, I belive there other out who like it as well. Again I am not a die hard I use what work. If the camera can to that why not? Then the "war" photography thingy again, may be why you so angry. Not every photography shot is a split second thing, if every one think like you then those shoot medium and large format or use any thing other then a nikon D2 series are F**k. :sticktong

Watcher said:

If a person can afford a D2H, what are the chance he can afford a D2X. If he can't afford a D2X, then he should a get lesser camera like D2H. So in future he get sc**w farther when want to upgrade. It might be a model that take great picture no doubt to him but to other who know there a better camera will they pay to get camera for him to upgrade? Sc**w big time I have been there done that. That why in my humble view which might or might not offend you. Fuji s3pro is better buy and if he not happy with fuji he should wait and get a D2X not get sc**w. I am doing this to help to sugguest to the person who ask this question. Not to "MAKE" you :angry: so chill. But again I have my fun with you. :angel:

Watcher said:
"Of course if you want to say is there nothing good about D2H. It is fast in autofocus and buffering memory then fuji S3pro. But not something D2X can't do. At the price I go for D2X. Why get sc**w? Then again the question is to compare D2H to Fuji S3 Pro. If the question go should I get D2H. I say dun get sc**w "

Well thanks. I'm not that one who got the basic facts (of when D2H is launched and price of S3Pro US$2499 vs D2H US$1999 where he that the "D2H is more expenise even it is on it way out" - Post #37 1855 hrs ) wrong and go around insulting people with "You are good with word but not math Progess to you, sc**w to me." - posted by Singscott #37 at 1855 hrs.

Sorry last word I will leave this tread in peace. Where the above prices come from? US right not local prices, get me some local prices please. S3pro in US is very hot. Our local price for a S3pro is less then $3.6K what is a D2H price.
D2H is selling cheap on US because demand is down retailer are getting rid of it before D2X is lanuch "get the big picture". When I say sc**w I mean the way nikon lanuched their two high end products that will result the consumer wandering why they get sc**w, no refernece to you watcher. If you felt it is you then SORRY, but why do you think is you? :bsmilie: The satement made by me "If the question go should I get D2H. I say dun get sc**w" should have show you what I been referening to nikon not you. Yet you think it you. :dunno: But in order to rebutt me with that efford show me you misunderstand what I write and you are really a nikon die hard. Like I say I have my fun with you we should do it again. Oh that a compliment! Lucky Nikon to have a fan like you :sweatsm:

relax relax everyone..
each camera has it's pros and cons.. there's is not right or wrong to choosing a camera.

People who shoot sports more probably would prefer the 8fps.. but for ppl who go for great out-of-camera images would probably go for S3pro..

this is just a friendly discussion... it's the same as to support liverpool or Man Utd.

Anyway, S3 Pro :lovegrin:

Peace dudes :bsmilie:

VincentLin said:
...all of whom should know why I'm sticking with S3.
Lend me on weekdays!!!!!

Heheh.... indeed S3 has fantastic out-of-cam quality. My brief trial with one has convinced me that it suits me perfectly. F1 film simulation mode is good enough for work, with great pixel quality, can blow up to A2 without any noticeable degradation. F2 mode is :lovegrin: VELVIA!!!

And I don't care for 8fps, I love the DR, and I prefer to use AA batts over proprietary lithiums.... :sticktong .... S3 Pro over the D2H.

Does anyone know if the D2H and the S3Pro can use Nikon 'G' lens like the 18mm to 70mm ( D70 kit lens ). I also understand that Fuji have a problume with the Nikon speedlight: not all function on Nikon Speedlight will work on Fuji S1/S2. How about the S3?

S3pro have iron out all the "problems" it will fully work with all nikon g lens and speedlight flashs but not sure abot iTTL :sweatsm: .

Status
Not open for further replies.