D2H or S3Pro -- Which one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's cos ur skill not up to par ;p

espn said:
That's cos ur skill not up to par ;p
of coz.. with my sucky skills, my S2pro can turn sucky images into power ones. that's the power of the kind of color and dynamic range the camera has! hahahahaha..

i win.

No you don't :nono:

Clown :kok:

i'm with the S3 PRO too.. i think the super ccd has much potential to yield very wide dynamic range and good colour reproduction.

There was a outdoor test shoot of a model in bride's gown standing in a house and the photographer shot her outside the house (in the sun). The house and gown was properly exposed. It is that kind of dynamic range we're looking at.

I believe normally this kind of shots would have either the gown blown or the background seriously under exposed.

:D

but the S3 Pro's out of reach to me for the time being.. i'll be aiming a D70 for starters.

Clown said:
...S2pro can turn sucky images into power ones. that's the power of the kind of color and dynamic range the camera has! ....
True.

I'm saving up for the S3 too. Unless D2X happens to be in a very close price bracket. Tried with a close friend's S3 on Sunday..... drooled ;p

I am not qualify to comment, but my personal feel is that Fuji S3 Pro is better in deliver better photos straight away from the camera (Super CCD, film like choice ~ Velvia...etc.), but Nikon D2h is much better in terms of body built, features and reliability.

If both are at the same price, I will go for D2h as I have some manual Nikkor lenses that I wish to use and D2h is the perfect companian to them. You can set the lenses in D2h database and shooting with metering :)

yanyewkay said:
There was a outdoor test shoot of a model in bride's gown standing in a house and the photographer shot her outside the house (in the sun). The house and gown was properly exposed. It is that kind of dynamic range we're looking at.

I believe normally this kind of shots would have either the gown blown or the background seriously under exposed.

I might be wrong, but isn't this very much due to exposure control (metering) rather then DR?

Note: I'm not fighting to prove Nikon is better but just curious as I personally don't overexpose gowns and still get good exposure with good DR.

eh....dynamic range u compare simliar settings of a certain scene btn film and digital...

u will find the film one shadow and highlights area more detail.....isnt tt so??? anyway fuji does give better colour reproduction...something i have to work really hard on PS to achieve....

for me....once s3 settle down i will settle for a second hand s2 haha,,,

one qns, how much better is cam2000 compared to cam900? i think almost everyone here uses a cam900 and is rather happy with it.

between s3 pro and d2h, i would take s3 pro lor. d1h is a rather sad story, d2h will eventually end up as the same. pro level body, but lack of megapixel to do serious work.

2mp may get u an acceptable a4 size print. 4mp may get an acceptable a3 print. but to get really detailed prints, i would look at the 6-8mp at the minimum. printers getting cheaper and cheaper, and also increasing in resolution.

~MooEy~

MooEy said:
between s3 pro and d2h, i would take s3 pro lor. d1h is a rather sad story, d2h will eventually end up as the same. pro level body, but lack of megapixel to do serious work.

~MooEy~
Oh boy...I am soo gonna sense espn, AJ23 and some others jumping on you for this statement, have you remembered to don your flame-retardant suit? ;p

In short, megapixels is not everything. I know a friend who has blown up prints up to A0 size from a D2H, for a customer, no loss of detail and stuff. :thumbsup:

haha, true la, i'm already prepared to be flame for that.

~MooEy~

Wow looks like all you guys have already tried the S3 already? :angel:

Garion said:
Oh boy...I am soo gonna sense espn, AJ23 and some others jumping on you for this statement, have you remembered to don your flame-retardant suit? ;p

In short, megapixels is not everything. I know a friend who has blown up prints up to A0 size from a D2H, for a customer, no loss of detail and stuff. :thumbsup:

Why? Can not give a different view :angry: I also with S3pro :D The S3pro dymanic range is better and the CCD is bigger these are facts. So what D2H is a cam 2000. The funny thing about Nikon is that they launch D2H only to have a few months down the road come up a D2X that can do every thing a D2H can but better. They say it options you will can have in the new camera. I say bull ****. I dun see them come up a camera that fuji had well develop. Which mainly better CCD. So what I have fast camera but got sucky film or CCD? Only D2X's CCD have some kind of comparelation to the S3pro's but at what price? Why worldwide price of D2H is dropping? Just go to B&H photo or some internet photography dealer you will see D2H is only 60% - 70% of it's price when it first launch. I advise is don't blindly follow brand la. Just because it a Nikon it is better. :bsmilie:

Garion said:

Here we go again, the myth of magic megapixels :)

Try this experiment. Get a 16.7MP 1DS Mk2 image. Down-res it to 4MP. Now, print the 4MP image at A0 and compare it to the original 16.7MP image printed at A0. Which do you think will be better? Anyone want to put money on this experiment?

To argue that 4MP is "enough" (at the end of 2004) is FALSE FALSE FALSE and it's time this wrong belief is stamped out. Put it another way. If the D2X and D2H were to sell for the same price - which would you choose? And why?

espn said:
I might be wrong, but isn't this very much due to exposure control (metering) rather then DR?

Note: I'm not fighting to prove Nikon is better but just curious as I personally don't overexpose gowns and still get good exposure with good DR.

yah i understand. it's just healthy discussion (and suaning) here..

quote from popular photography website:
"... According to Fujifilm, the new 4th Generation 12.3MP Super CCD SR sensor found in the S3 Pro may take digital image quality even further. Its radical design owes much to color negative film, which uses silver-halide crystals of various sizes and sensitivities to capture details in shadows and highlights. It's this mix of different sizes and layers that gives color negative film such a wide dynamic range. In similar fashion, the Super CCD SR sensor has large S pixels and small R pixels working in close proximity, while CCD and CMOS sensors found in other digital cameras use uniform-sized pixels. .."

So I believe other than exposure control, the technology of CCD is also very important.

I am only an engineer.. my photography skills still far far from acceptable. :D

singscott said:
Why? Can not give a different view :angry: I also with S3pro :D The S3pro dymanic range is better and the CCD is bigger these are facts. So what D2H is a cam 2000. The funny thing about Nikon is that they launch D2H only to have a few months down the road come up a D2X that can do every thing a D2H can but better. They say it options you will can have in the new camera. I say bull ****. I dun see them come up a camera that fuji had well develop. Which mainly better CCD. So what I have fast camera but got sucky film or CCD? Only D2X's CCD have some kind of comparelation to the S3pro's but at what price? Why worldwide price of D2H is dropping? Just go to B&H photo or some internet photography dealer you will see D2H is only 60% - 70% of it's price when it first launch. I advise is don't blindly follow brand la. Just because it a Nikon it is better. :bsmilie:
Question is this: Is the DR worth the compromise to the AF module and MP? That is a question every buyer should ask. For the photo or sports journalists, they would mostly preferred the high fps and AF rather than the DR. The DR of the D2X/D2H is about that of slides. So? Is the DR of slides inferior? :rolleyes:

As for the "Nikon is that they launch D2H only to have a few months down the road come up a D2X that can do every thing a D2H can but better" part, 17 months (hardly "a few months") is a long time. It is call progress. Everyone does it. Eg D60 -> 10D 10 months.

As for the price drop, isn't it better for the consumers? If you want to compare about dropping of price and product, do the "other" brand :rolleyes: .

Watcher said:
Question is this: Is the DR worth the compromise to the AF module and MP? That is a question every buyer should ask. For the photo or sports journalists, they would mostly preferred the high fps and AF rather than the DR. The DR of the D2X/D2H is about that of slides. So? Is the DR of slides inferior?

As for the "Nikon is that they launch D2H only to have a few months down the road come up a D2X that can do every thing a D2H can but better" part, 17 months (hardly "a few months") is a long time. It is call progress. Everyone does it. Eg D60 -> 10D 10 months.

As for the price drop, isn't it better for the consumers? If you want to compare about dropping of price and product, do the "other" brand :rolleyes: .

Woa loa you must be a lawyer and die hard Nikon fan. Better careful with my words or my words will be twisted. :confused: D2H is not lanuched 17months ago it was only lanuch this year 2004 not 2003 where the 17 months? D2X also lanuched this year 2004. You are good with word but not math :bsmilie: Progess to you, sc**w to me.

Image you happly buy a D2H just to discover D2X can do what your camera can and better only a matter of few month is not progress. I felt the same when my D60 was replace by 10D "sc**w". Hey I have nikon, fuji, canon SLR DSLR as well. Talk about their pro and con I can go on and on. Price drop to lay man like me is only sign the camera going to sh** and on the way been replace. A "replace" model will not have more then six years of spares. Farther more it (D2H) is not a cheap camera even at 60% of what it price use to be.

My point is D2H not a good buy compare to Fuji S3Pro is 1) D2H is more expenise even it is on it way out, 2) Small CCD even it is LBCast small is small can't put silcon to make it big, 3) Dymanic range even some people dun understand it is better on fuji S3pro and 4) straight from the camera on proper expose S3pro produce colour that is better on frontier machine.

Of course if you want to say is there nothing good about D2H. It is fast in autofocus and buffering memory then fuji S3pro. But not something D2X can't do. At the price I go for D2X. Why get sc**w? Then again the question is to compare D2H to Fuji S3 Pro. If the question go should I get D2H. I say dun get sc**w :devil:

singscott said:
D2H is not lanuched 17months ago it was only lanuch this year 2004 not 2003 where the 17 months?

Er, both you and Watcher are half-right. The D2H was announced in July 2003, but the actual product hit the market in late 2003 or early 2004 (cannot remember now). You can argue whether a launch is the same as "announcement" or when the product actually is in the hands of photographers. It doesn't matter so much in the Canon line because they get their product to market within weeks of launch - both the 20D and 1DSMk2 hit the market within 1 month of product announcement. But with Nikon there is a big difference - they take a long time to get their products to market. D2X - announced in September but probably only appear on the market in January. I see no point arguing about semantics and I award 1/2 a point to each of you.

BTW the sudden price drop of the D2H has raised a few eyebrows ;) Normally, over a product's lifetime the market price will slowly drop as demand eases. e.g. Canon 10D hit the market at USD$2000 but the price slowly went down to $1300 just before it got replaced by the 20D. Sudden price drop like that bound to raise speculation :)

Status
Not open for further replies.