Crop factor in dx

You are still getting the full 11-16. What you are not getting is the same DOF.

And ya...I thought you are the expert based on your past postings. :cool:

DOF?? Did you mean to say field of view (FOV)??

DOF also different, but that's tougher to explain...
yes field of view is different too between FX and DX... already explained.

I think this is a very good picture of DX and FX.

vignette_01.jpg

Imagine DOF and FOV with this.

My little help.
2801359364_56e4733c6a_o.jpg

2784605833_7244884d79.jpg

I don't own a D700 but I heard one can change the mode to use a DX lens and shoot at 5mp, correct?:)

My little help.

2784605833_7244884d79.jpg

I don't own a D700 but I heard one can change the mode to use a DX lens and shoot at 5mp, correct?:)
That's affirmative! You are actually using the centre portion of the sensor and it's good enough for a 4R printout or computer screen viewing

That's affirmative! You are actually using the centre portion of the sensor and it's good enough for a 4R printout or computer screen viewing

and TS gets free vignetting without buying photoshop;p

probably confusion with the naming... thought FX/FF was referred to as 'full-format' or whatever, so DX should be medium format... hehehehe.

Got full format meh? I though only got large format. :dunno:
:bsmilie:

and TS gets free vignetting without buying photoshop;p

Actually when you switch to the DX mode it performs just like a DX cam hence you can use DX lenses minus the free vignetting lah. The only down side is the lower Mp as you've mentioned. Guess that's why they created cams with cropped sensor size so you still get 12mp with smaller FOV instead of 5mp if using the FX body

Last edited:
And the other side of the story is...

when you use a FX lens on a DX camera, you are basically given the FX image circle, but only using a smaller portion of it with the DX sensor...

Don't shoot me; I know I'm right. :sweat:

Got full format meh? I though only got large format. :dunno:
:bsmilie:
Got!!
In Windows PC, when you right-click on a drive, then select "format...", one of the options will come out 'Full/Quick', am I right?? :)
ok ok OT already.
I anyhow hantam the name to fit my explanation for "medium format" being equal to DX :bsmilie:

when you use a FX lens on a DX camera, you are basically given the FX image circle, but only using a smaller portion of it with the DX sensor...

You are 110% right!! :)

Confirmed correct:D

Use dx on canon full frame. Free broken mirror without needing to buy photoshop:bsmilie::bsmilie: