Creative .... which way u'r goin...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great thread! :thumbsup: Just wanna share some (random) tots.

1. It was Creative who first entered the market with a portable Harddisk MP3 player. Not Apple.

2. The first Creative MP3 player was designed in their California R&D unit. But once its was done, Creative 'downsized' the place and shifted R&D back to Singapore 'to save costs'. Apparently Apple hired most of the folks and they came up with the iPod later. (Can anyone verify this story? I read it online but not sure if its a fact). Bad karma from Creative...??

3. Creative MP3 players loosing mkt share in US becoz of 3 things: iPod, iTunes & iTunes Store. This three items just work/integrate better. I mean with a iPod I could just download the songs, podcasts and videos I wanna watch and it will be sync with my player. With Creative, maybe I need to buy the CD, convert to MP3 in my PC and then sync with my Zen.

4. When SWH announce Creative gonna spend US100Million to 'big' up Creative and get more market share, my first tots were, 'why not use the 100M to build a better product?'. imho, SWH is outta touch with the world out there, he is using 80's 90's marketing tactics (More Features! etc etc) in the new millenium. :thumbsd: Lucky Creative was able to get back some of those money when Apple paid them for patent rights.

5. Apple actually wanted to work with Creative to do the iPod, but got rejected and then came the iPod.. ;p

1. It was Creative who first entered the market with a portable Harddisk MP3 player. Not Apple.

2. The first Creative MP3 player was designed in their California R&D unit. But once its was done, Creative 'downsized' the place and shifted R&D back to Singapore 'to save costs'. Apparently Apple hired most of the folks and they came up with the iPod later. (Can anyone verify this story? I read it online but not sure if its a fact). Bad karma from Creative...??

3. Creative MP3 players loosing mkt share in US becoz of 3 things: iPod, iTunes & iTunes Store. This three items just work/integrate better. I mean with a iPod I could just download the songs, podcasts and videos I wanna watch and it will be sync with my player. With Creative, maybe I need to buy the CD, convert to MP3 in my PC and then sync with my Zen.

4. When SWH announce Creative gonna spend US100Million to 'big' up Creative and get more market share, my first tots were, 'why not use the 100M to build a better product?'. imho, SWH is outta touch with the world out there, he is using 80's 90's marketing tactics (More Features! etc etc) in the new millenium. :thumbsd: Lucky Creative was able to get back some of those money when Apple paid them for patent rights.

5. Apple actually wanted to work with Creative to do the iPod, but got rejected and then came the iPod.. ;p

ya lor Creative shot themselves in the foot.:sweat:

Spot on. You just can't make a brilliant product without considering other support. I bought the "Prodikeys" from Creative which I thought it was brilliant product; a piano on the PC, why not? However, the software support sucks and now it is collecting dusts. Without iTunes, iPod would be just another expensive lifestyle gadget.

SWH still makes it to the Top 40 $$$ man in SG, would he still be in the list next year? Having said, I still respect him for his achievements and hope he can turn Creative around.

SWH still makes it to the Top 40 $$$ man in SG, would he still be in the list next year? Having said, I still respect him for his achievements and hope he can turn Creative around.
SWH is now worth USD105m ..... at his peak his worth in his C stock is $800m !:think:

Today is our National Day and our PM is saying that our nation is doing great.... but not one of our fav's son, Creative Tech.
Last yr Creative lost US$118m, and this yr is US$72m! .... if not for the cash angpow (US$100m) from Apple, it would be quite bad. Main reasons given were drop in demand in US, Apple's dominance of the MP3 market, competitions from low-cost producers and Microsoft, and from music-capable cellphones.
In US alone, the iPods command a 69% market share compared to Creative 3.6%!
A breakdown of incomes for Creative, .... 57% from media players, 15% from audio products, 18% from speakers and 10% from others.
I am just wondering, will Creative still be around in Yr 2015? Will it become a born-again success-story or will it fade into a little known Corporation? .....
Being a Singaporean, I would really hope that our bro, Creative will regain its vision and focus on its strength ..... in recent years, Creative is focusing on cost-trimming (just like the Japanese, Taiwanese and Korean) to maintain its profitability. This, IMO is bad if done as a long-term objective.... the emphasis should be products (hardwares + softwares) breakthrough.

Happy Birthday Singapore! :heart:
Still remember another one of our 'home grown success' IPC? :D

Anyone still remembers? ;p

I do remember IPC!! iirc, they were big time PC makers (something like Dell) and were big in Europe :D

Anyway OT lah, we talking about Creative leh bro :nono:

SWH did good by putting Singapore on the IT map with Creative products in the 80's & 90's. But I don't think Creative could ever recapture the heights achieved in today's world.

Cheers & good day people :)

To be fair to Creative, it is easy to say on hindsight what should not be done.

Let's hear it from you all, if you have the chance to come up with a product that can make lots of money, what would you produce?

Status
Not open for further replies.