Competitions

Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing bad about competitions. They are never transparent enough about how they do their judging, which is always normally a closed-door event. And how unbiased the judges are. I've seen really crap work winning some of the competitions.

Regards
CK

ckiang said:
One thing bad about competitions. They are never transparent enough about how they do their judging, which is always normally a closed-door event. And how unbiased the judges are. I've seen really crap work winning some of the competitions.

Regards
CK

competition is 30% on Skill, 20% "tactical warefare" and 50% of luck.

most competition judges are local photo clubs advisors... not much of commercial photographers... if u happens to "chiong" photo clubs, u will get to know them and understand the competition "tactical warefare"... they are the ones that "play" competition till judging of competition.

if u are eyeing on the 1st prize EVERY time, u will be out of the game very soon... that is because, u are not taking YOUR OWN pictures but pictures to win. that is where lucks comes in. if judges like your work, u can either win the top 3 or at LESS the merit to cover your main cost... end of the day, do u want to have a set of portfolio to tell the world that "this is your style" or "these are my work for competitions"??

if u have been in photo clubs, there are always members' competition going on, keep "recycling" the old works of your style... one day the judges will like your work... u don't waste money from here and also will improve...

of course, close door judging can create biased the judges. that's where lucks comes in again....

Geylang Seri Competition Judging will be done in SAFRA Photo Club, and Exhibition will be in Kampong Ubi C.C. whenever u see SAFRA Photo Club organise competition, its an OPEN judging for 100% sure...

in Photography Competition Field, be reminded, "We are aware of competition Winners, but BEWARE of regular winners...."

vader said:
There have been few competitions recently that require entrants to summit shots taken by "FILM" only. This goes to show that proper skills like composition, technique in photography is still important.

For people who want to know know where they stand in their photography, These "FILM" competitions is a good way to know. but then, you need "FILM" cameras.

Can you share what's the relation regarding "Competitions that require shots taken by FILM only" and "Proper skills like composition, technique in photography is still important"?

I don't see any relationship.

iamasaint said:
But how many photography enthusiasts could have access to a darkroom as opposed to photoshop? Its good that you guys have been doing these for years and I really admire you guys. I really mean it. Its just that with photoshop, digital users have so much more to explore now than ever before.

just would like to know, the cost between the CHEAPEST darkroom u can own compare to the CHEAPEST Photoshop soft ware u can get...???

HOW many photographers OWN the ORGINAL software compare to a rental darkroom???

software comes from the idea of darkroom....

i won't denied that P.S is a good software... but if u understand Darkroom work, it will be EVEN easy to know how software works. there are still some flaws in digital printing compare to manual printing especially the tone and contrast...

Snowcrash said:
Can you share what's the relation regarding "Competitions that require shots taken by FILM only" and "Proper skills like composition, technique in photography is still important"?

I don't see any relationship.

digital user tends to manipulate pictures, where organisers prefers to have the ORIGINE of the pictures. manupulation or digital croping MAY spoil the spirit of the pictures. Flims, u have to "CROP" in your camera... croping in darkroom may be costly where MOST photographers would not waste the money for this service. in which, the ORIGINE will come from the Proper skill in compostition, technique"....

or

Organizers or Co-Organizer are promoting the negatives or slides

a photographer who knows how to use darkoom and camera effect will gain better respect than super digital effect user...

There is also a photo competition currently organised by Konica, which requires entries to be shot using Konica film, and developed at a Konica photo lab. It's called "Our Town Sparkles" and closing date is 12 December 2003.

Is a film image superior to a digital image? Probably not for 35mm, probably so for medium or large format at the current time...

:bsmilie:

Mr snowcrash, we all know that digital pics can be manipulated,etc...edge out, cut and paste, blur the background, add the zoom effect, you name it...

What the judges want is someone who will consider the good composition, proper use of depth, storytelling pics, at the moment kind of things...

And yes, digital cameras can do that, no doubt. which is why the geylang serai competition allows digital camera entrants.

If I'm not wrong, the red-cross competition do not allow digital camera entrants to summit their pics.

vader said:
]

And yes, digital cameras can do that, no doubt. which is why the geylang serai competition allows digital camera entrants.

Brother,

the competition does not allows manipulation.... can refer to para 11

Paragraph 11. Digital picture without any form of manipulation, with the exception of colour correction and contrast adjustment, will be accepted as an entry.

zaren said:
There is also a photo competition currently organised by Konica, which requires entries to be shot using Konica film, and developed at a Konica photo lab. It's called "Our Town Sparkles" and closing date is 12 December 2003.

Is a film image superior to a digital image? Probably not for 35mm, probably so for medium or large format at the current time...

do u know that drum scanning on 35mm can do a BIGGER and BETTER print than a PRO affordable DSLR???

Medium Format and large Format Drum scanning, DSLR cannot reach the MAX size...

reignman77 said:
do u know that drum scanning on 35mm can do a BIGGER and BETTER print than a PRO affordable DSLR???

Medium Format and large Format Drum scanning, DSLR cannot reach the MAX size...

I heard that the large format photograph would require something like 200 megapixels.... or some ridiculously large number lah. guess it would be a while before DCs reach that level. But hey, 4 MP is more than enough to make a competition-winning photo (assuming they only want 8x10 prints)

zaren said:
I heard that the large format photograph would require something like 200 megapixels.... or some ridiculously large number lah. guess it would be a while before DCs reach that level. But hey, 4 MP is more than enough to make a competition-winning photo (assuming they only want 8x10 prints)

my friend, ALL Photographers and people buying cameras know that 4MP camera can produce a S8R pictures... if not, who the hell would want to buy a digital camera that can print only a 4R picture??

what is the cost for a piece of 8" x 10" or 12" photo compare to the S10R and S12R?? and i MEAN FULL FRAME Pictures...

it's double to triple the cost... would u pay for such cost of prints for OTHERS as in non returnable competition???

are u SURE that u are printing a WINNING photo... how long have u been in PHOTOGRAPHY COMPETITION LOCAL and OVERSEAS?? HOW many WINNING pictures have u taken??? HOW MANY PRIZES have u won???

Dun be bothered by the comment bro reignman.

maybe zaren may want to post a thread to backup why he say "Is a film image superior to a digital image? Probably not for 35mm, probably so for medium or large format at the current time..."

Tell everybody lah...

reignman77 said:
my friend, ALL Photographers and people buying cameras know that 4MP camera can produce a S8R pictures... if not, who the hell would want to buy a digital camera that can print only a 4R picture??

what is the cost for a piece of 8" x 10" or 12" photo compare to the S10R and S12R?? and i MEAN FULL FRAME Pictures...

it's double to triple the cost... would u pay for such cost of prints for OTHERS as in non returnable competition???

are u SURE that u are printing a WINNING photo... how long have u been in PHOTOGRAPHY COMPETITION LOCAL and OVERSEAS?? HOW many WINNING pictures have u taken??? HOW MANY PRIZES have u won???

People who don't need to print anything bigger than 4R would buy a camera than can print only a 4R picture.

Are you telling people not to join photo competitions because it's too expensive, chances of winning too small etc? The choice is up to the photographer lah, do what he/she enjoys ....

Anyway, there is a very cheap alternative.... go shoot some digital photos of the contest theme (don't print, save $$$!), then compare them with the winning entries, if you think you made a better shot, then you got some personal satisfaction. After all, one of the earlier posts did remark that "crap work" had won photo contests before. And beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

:cool:

zaren said:
People who don't need to print anything bigger than 4R would buy a camera than can print only a 4R picture.

Are you telling people not to join photo competitions because it's too expensive, chances of winning too small etc? The choice is up to the photographer lah, do what he/she enjoys ....

Anyway, there is a very cheap alternative.... go shoot some digital photos of the contest theme (don't print, save $$$!), then compare them with the winning entries, if you think you made a better shot, then you got some personal satisfaction. After all, one of the earlier posts did remark that "crap work" had won photo contests before. And beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

:cool:

chances of winning is always small... unless its a 5 man competition with 5 prizes... u will SURE to win either of it... that is why luck is MORE important...

only on the day of judging then u will know the result... u will never know, are there more crap work then your own WINNING work...

people who take part in competition are there for the prize, the challenge and SELF satisfaction IN the competition on where u stand and how u fair... and not
personal satifaction IN the CAMERA AT HOME and compare/cursing the winning shot......

furthermore, the CRAP winning shot comes from CLOSE DOOR judging.... great photographers doesn't means that they will win... lousy photographer doesn't means they can't win...

for sure, if u don't take part u will NEVER win...

reignman77 said:
chances of winning is always small... unless its a 5 man competition with 5 prizes... u will SURE to win either of it... that is why luck is MORE important...

only on the day of judging then u will know the result... u will never know, are there more crap work then your own WINNING work...

people who take part in competition are there for the prize, the challenge and SELF satisfaction IN the competition on where u stand and how u fair... and not
personal satifaction IN the CAMERA AT HOME and compare/cursing the winning shot......

furthermore, the CRAP winning shot comes from CLOSE DOOR judging.... great photographers doesn't means that they will win... lousy photographer doesn't means they can't win...

for sure, if u don't take part u will NEVER win...

Well, if you don't any of the top prizes, all you know is that you DIDN'T WIN, no ranking or whatever. You won't know if you were 10th or 250th. No critique of your photo either (Sorry, judge's comments reserved for winning entries). That can be quite demoralising. However, taking part in the photo competition is a good learning experience, be it time management (especially for photo marathons), interpretation of theme, honing of technical skills etc.

vader said:
Mr snowcrash, we all know that digital pics can be manipulated,etc...edge out, cut and paste, blur the background, add the zoom effect, you name it...

What the judges want is someone who will consider the good composition, proper use of depth, storytelling pics, at the moment kind of things...

If I'm not wrong, the red-cross competition do not allow digital camera entrants to summit their pics.

Thanks for sharing, it's just that the way of your sharing give the impression that good composition storytelling pics at the moment kind of things can only be done by film, that's why you agree that with the competitions organisers who allow film users only.

I'm confused about your views because here you say that digital cameras (or the photographer behing it) are cable of good composition, storytelling pics at the moment kind of things too.

I remember a recent digital photography competitions by Computer times and Canon where they need to shoot within a time frame on a certain theme and upload the shots on the spot. How is that for "good composition, storytelling pics at the moment kind of things?"

My own view is whether film or digital photo competitions, you still have shoot what the judges want to win.

So winning doesn't mean you are good. Ckiang mentions that 'crap' do win competitions.

Snowcrash said:
Thanks for sharing, it's just that the way of your sharing give the impression that good composition storytelling pics at the moment kind of things can only be done by film, that's why you agree that with the competitions organisers who allow film users only.

I'm confused about your views because here you say that digital cameras (or the photographer behing it) are cable of good composition, storytelling pics at the moment kind of things too.

I remember a recent digital photography competitions by Computer times and Canon where they need to shoot within a time frame on a certain theme and upload the shots on the spot. How is that for "good composition, storytelling pics at the moment kind of things?"

My own view is whether film or digital photo competitions, you still have shoot what the judges want to win.

So winning doesn't mean you are good. Ckiang mentions that 'crap' do win competitions.

:bsmilie: Yeah, Sometimes I feel the way ckiang feels too... :( But if there is a theme, then, it'll be easy to know what the organizers and judges want.

zaren said:
Well, if you don't any of the top prizes, all you know is that you DIDN'T WIN, no ranking or whatever. You won't know if you were 10th or 250th. No critique of your photo either (Sorry, judge's comments reserved for winning entries). That can be quite demoralising. However, taking part in the photo competition is a good learning experience, be it time management (especially for photo marathons), interpretation of theme, honing of technical skills etc.

u can get them to advice u on the print individually... if u are able to attend the open judging, u will know where u stand, if not look at the score gien to your work and u will roughly know how u fair...

Status
Not open for further replies.