COE going through the roof

As usual, our garment thinks that foreigners are more impt than local SG

A friend of mine is already thinking of buying a MY car and hire a driver.to drive around. Even with a driver, its still alot cheaper than buying a stupid SG car

This is already in practice. Singaporeans will always find loopholes to beat the system.

There is another method - set up any business in Malaysia. You can buy a Malaysia car for traveling to Singapore for business purposes. You can drive a Malaysia car to Singapore without hiring a chauffer.

I have heard of this idea before and it is quite a good idea. Some more can buy cheap Malaysian petrol. To counter this the government will introduce a rule that drivers entering here must be three quarter Singaporean.

every 3 occupants of a car must include a Singaporean? :bsmilie:
if you took the mick please return it when you're done

This is already in practice. Singaporeans will always find loopholes to beat the system.

There is another method - set up any business in Malaysia. You can buy a Malaysia car for traveling to Singapore for business purposes. You can drive a Malaysia car to Singapore without hiring a chauffer.

I think hiring a malaysian driver works but I don't think a singaporean can drive malaysia car in singapore even for business purposes.

WHO IS ALLOWED TO USE AND KEEP A FOREIGN-REGISTERED VEHICLE?
You are not allowed to use or keep any foreign-registered vehicles in Singapore if you are a:

Singapore Citizen
Singapore Permanent Resident (PR)
Resident of Singapore
Long Term Visit Pass Holder or Dependant Pass Holder
Work Pass Holder who is also a resident of Singapore
Student Pass Holder
Training Employment Pass or Work Holiday Pass
However, any work pass holder, who is not a resident of Singapore, may drive a foreign-registered vehicle in Singapore only if ALL these conditions are met:

He is the registered owner of the vehicle.
He resides outside Singapore.
He has a valid insurance certificate and road tax to use the vehicle on Singapore roads.
The vehicle is kept or used outside Singapore for a total period of 6 hours or more every day.
The vehicle has an Autopass Card to validate its entry/ exit at Woodlands and Tuas Checkpoints and to pay for VEP/ toll charges.

Well, I referred to your funky dx/dy attempt, see how little you understand? Go on blabbering, at least it's entertaining a wee bit.

I shall pardon this 80yrs old man. LOL LLL. For his poor grasp of HIGHER math.

I think not so ez. They may require you to show you are residing in MY, and not in SG.

Hiring a driver is more workable around the loophole

I think not so ez. They may require you to show you are residing in MY, and not in SG. Hiring a driver is more workable around the loophole

Singaporean who reside in Malaysia can buy a Malaysia car and drive inside Malaysia only.

However they are not allow to drive into Singapore.

Singaporean who reside in Malaysia can buy a Malaysia car and drive inside Malaysia only.

However they are not allow to drive into Singapore.

Well, they can get a MY driver to drive to SG

Its $20/$30 per day for a msia car yo be in SG lei..

Its $20/$30 per day for a msia car yo be in SG lei..
My fellow Malaysian work colleagues car poll with Honda Odyssey and Toyota Prius MPVs (6 / 7 Seater) and share the cost of only ~ S$3.00 per person. Lower than the taxi flag down rate in Singapore.

Last edited:
Happened to be in Kip Mart at Tampoi, Johor Bahru in April 2014.
Walked past a car sales business Kip Motors and chatted.
The sales lady offered (with official printed price list) brand new Nissan Almera 1.5E AT cost RM$69,813.50 On-The-Road.
In JB, there is no COE to speak of.
That is for their local buyers and perhaps Singaporeans who reside in JB.

At prevailing currency conversion rate, that is SGD$26,937.47.
Without 10 years COE, you can continue driving it beyond 10 years if it lasts that long.

A brand new Nissan Almera 1.5E AT car in JB cost less than a Leica S camera body (SGD $32,175) in Singapore.

FYI only.

The downside of life in JB is rampant CRIME and a could-not-be-bothered attitude of their police.

Last edited:
Difference is there you are robbed by small time petty robbers.. Heng say kenna.. Here you're robbed by gahment..100% of the time.. Lol

Difference is there you are robbed by small time petty robbers.. Heng say kenna.. Here you're robbed by gahment..100% of the time.. Lol

"Robbed by gahment" ha ha ha....
Well said, bro

"Robbed by gahment" ha ha ha....
Well said, bro

When you do business in most countires, you have to deal with the various gangsters and corrupted crooks. Here, everything has been integrated into only one party that you have to pay but it is also the most expensive in the world. People still come.

When you do business in most countires, you have to deal with the various gangsters and corrupted crooks. Here, everything has been integrated into only one party that you have to pay but it is also the most expensive in the world. People still come.

People still come because it's probably one of the few advanced countries where the government approves easily their PR status and even citizenship. (Although now it should be more difficult but it's a bit too late as a good handful of Singaporeans are already feeling the human congestion and other social problems here.) It's also a safe and politically stable country.

I always feel one way to cope with the extremely high COE prices is to impose heavy taxes on families who own more than 1 car. At the same time, the lower class or less wealthy families (say those who earn less than S$10k a month) could be given subsidies if they wish to own one.

With this benefit, what they could do is perhaps restrict the sizes/prices of the the cars that can be bought and if need be, impose a levy should the car ownership or car itself be changed within say 3 years. These cars are not for social status. It is to help parents ferry their kids to childcare centers or their own parents' homes to look after them. I feel it will help a lot. I really don't know how young working class parents without cars can cope. It's no wonder so few want to have kids these days?

We all know our MRT trains are almost always jam-packed. The strollers can hardly go in and having to control kids screaming or crying for whatever reason in a packed train is a big headache. I've seen a mother having difficulty balancing on a crowded bus with one arm carrying her daughter presumably.

But having said all these, I am not optimistic the above will take place. Why? Cos there are too many rich people here who own more than 1 car per family. And those who pass down such policies could very well be in this category!

Which brings me to the final point: So why else do people come here, besides this country being safe, clean, stable, etc? Cos they are rich. I've heard of foreigners who got their SG citizenship buying up HDB flats with cold hard cash. (Ever wonder why true blue locals are unhappy with the exponential increase in HDB prices for many years in the past? I think it is justified!) So I think such rich people are unfazed even when the COE is $80,000.

But who are the ones at the losing end eventually??? What will the future social and political scene be like if such a situation continues in the next 5 to 10 years? It's not hard to imagine.

Last edited:
In many countries, if you try to bribe your way through the administration you will get a shortcut to prison or an express service out of the country.
The approach in SG is simple: if one cannot ban an activity then turn it into a licensed business: gambling, prostitution, money lending, ice cream sellers, street musicians ... Surprisingly, licensed robbery or assassinations are not yet introduced. Would only be logical. So COE and ERP are nothing but modern versions of highwaymen. A business with a long tradition since the invention of traveling. You should be more open about the preserving of traditions.
[Posting may contain traces of irony. No that's nothing about iron.]

But who are the ones at the losing end eventually??? What will the future social and political scene be like if such a situation continues in the next 5 to 10 years? It's not hard to imagine.

Well said.

In many countries, if you try to bribe your way through the administration you will get a shortcut to prison or an express service out of the country.
The approach in SG is simple: if one cannot ban an activity then turn it into a licensed business: gambling, prostitution, money lending, ice cream sellers, street musicians ... Surprisingly, licensed robbery or assassinations are not yet introduced. Would only be logical. So COE and ERP are nothing but modern versions of highwaymen. A business with a long tradition since the invention of traveling. You should be more open about the preserving of traditions.

Ha ha, "modern versions of highwaymen." :bsmilie: Well said too.

Licensed robbery? you alr mentioned them. LOL. all the 3 letters word CXX, EXX

Licensed robbery? you alr mentioned them. LOL. all the 3 letters word CXX, EXX

$highwayrobbery.jpg
http://www.pluginprofitsite.com/main-4145/dotcomology.html