China Photography Trip

Status
Not open for further replies.
Klose said:
hearsay :sweat: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

That is why there are so much misinformation around.

Someone passed you a hearsay "news". And you passed it on.... and on.......... and on.............

Personally I will have no problem showing my cameras in their full glory in the places you plan to visit.

Klose said:
Just wondering is it safe to travel with a DSLR in Hangzhou and Shanghai? After chatting with a fellow Cser last week, abit hesistant to take my stuff there for my 4 day trip :think:
Should be quite safe. I was there for a week. People a just curious looking at it but they don't bother at all. Many other tourists even have expensive cameras and they just snap happily away.

Seems pretty safe. Ok how about eqpt load :sweat:

Eos 30 - slides + b/w

eos 350d - digi

lenses that I confirm will be

50m
28-70

but what other lenses to take along?

70-200 or a WA?

Klose said:

Eos 30 - slides + b/w

eos 350d - digi

50m
28-70

70-200 or a WA?

Take what you wants to take and deem fit for your trip ... you cant really depends on others to tell you what to do all the time ... just hear but dun listen too much misinformation ... or else then it will be safer for you not to go lor ... :sweatsm:

Klose said:

Eos 30 - slides + b/w

eos 350d - digi

50m
28-70

70-200 or a WA?
上有天堂,下有苏杭。

Dunno whether u can see the chinese characters above. Anyway, loosely translated, it means that suzhou & hangzhou are comparable to heaven above.

Since u'll be going hangzhou, bring whatever gear u have to capture the heavenly scenery, man! :bsmilie:

wiz23 said:
??????????

Anyway, loosely translated, it means that suzhou & hangzhou are comparable to heaven above.

Since u'll be going hangzhou, bring whatever gear u have to capture the heavenly scenery, man! :bsmilie:

The heavenly scene was rather grey!:(

Perhaps you may want to check with those CSers whom recently brought back beautiful photos from Pakistan, India, Kashmir etc....

Klose said:
Thanks for all the advise guys, what the fellow cser told me was that there are ppl who come a snatch ur cam body from you while u are taking photos :bigeyes:
buy AIRGUN there .... abt S$50 shoot until u shiok hahaha buy those can go full auto one
:cool:

S11loop said:
buy AIRGUN there .... abt S$50 shoot until u shiok hahaha buy those can go full auto one
:cool:

:bsmilie: Used to buy airguns from hongkong. :bsmilie: m4 carbine :bsmilie: but spoilt already but nothing beats firing a real gun :bsmilie:

Ok just came back from china :sweat:

seems like nikon is very agressive on advertising in china - hangzhou + shanghai saw so many nikon adverts buses, posters even their magazines!!

Went to Huang Long Bai Huo 环龙百货 (Take exit 4 from the Shanghai MRT, when you come out the building is right above you.)

Pretty quiet compared to peninsular considering that it was a Saturday. Couldnt find any matin straps but managed to get a couple of other items.

1 x Velbon RUP-43 Monopod
4 x 22" 5 in 1 reflectors (None seemed to carry the 42" ones)

On the other hand, I will be able to organise MOs soon as my uncle is able to contact the factory directly in hangzhou :bsmilie:

student said:
I was in Hangzhou, Shouzhou, Nanjing, and Shanghai for 10 days.

Yes! It is dangerous for you to bring your DSLR. It is a lot safer in your dry box locked up. While you are there, you might forget to take it away, and present it as a gift to the cleaners. Or the precious DSLR might slip from your hands and hit the concrete. The straps might break while you are cruising on Westlake. And the pickpockets might just decide your DSLR might be something worth stealing and risk incurring the draconian punishment if they are caught.

I was very careless! I showed my DSLR everywhere! I put my DSLR on the buses floor. Oh, I also forgot to say that I also had my Canon 1V with the very rare Angenieux zoom lens. My Canon 1V did not received special treatment.

Thankfully despite the abuse I gave my cameras, they came back with me safely.

Then I took my DSLR on a trip to Tuscany. This time partnered by a Leica R6.2. The cameras went with me walking into hotsprings and climbing slippery slopes. I made some some lovely photos which I showed on CS.

Thankfully they survived

And this Friday they will join me again in Beijing.

Hi student

If u are free in Beijing, buzz me. Maybe we can meet up for some drinks and take some pics. I pm-ed u my China no.

digitalbuff said:
Hi student

If u are free in Beijing, buzz me. Maybe we can meet up for some drinks and take some pics. I pm-ed u my China no.

Aiyah!

I just returned from Beijing! Was with Chan Brothers. So not much chance of making photographs.

Next time!

student said:
Aiyah!

I just returned from Beijing! Was with Chan Brothers. So not much chance of making photographs.

Next time!

Aiya...ok la. Next time buzz me before I get posted back to SG next yr ;)

Tomo got some indoor shoot with some new Chinese friends cum models ;p

i jus back from shanghai for a 7 days trip. visited hangzhou as well. generally those places are quite safe, and i had been carrying my dslr ard SH most of the time. it is generally quite safe. if u worry abt the safety, then take cab to travel ard the places.

MuthuCurry said:
i jus back from shanghai for a 7 days trip. visited hangzhou as well. generally those places are quite safe, and i had been carrying my dslr ard SH most of the time. it is generally quite safe. if u worry abt the safety, then take cab to travel ard the places.

i am already back... your reply abit slow :sweat:

I love China, there seemed to be guards/police along the whole length of the Nanjing street all the way to the Bund....in Shanghai. I walked alone at 4am to catch the sunrise in the early spring....similarly in Beijing, i explored the Wang Fujing areas into the back alleys....in the early mornings.....and late at night....some shots can be seen at my pbase gallery:

http://www.pbase.com/dannytoh/beijing&page=all

...what one should be more careful would be pick pockets, not outright confrontational kind of muggers.....seemed like the police there get real tough on such criminals if they try to touch the tourists.....think the upcoming Olympics has something to do with their desire to make China Tourist-safe...bring
Will be going to Kunming mid-Jan......my gears would be my main luggage.....just my view for others who are planning trips to China.

Danntbt said:
I love China, there seemed to be guards/police along the whole length of the Nanjing street all the way to the Bund....in Shanghai. I walked alone at 4am to catch the sunrise in the early spring....similarly in Beijing, i explored the Wang Fujing areas into the back alleys....in the early mornings.....and late at night....some shots can be seen at my pbase gallery:

http://www.pbase.com/dannytoh/beijing&page=all

...what one should be more careful would be pick pockets, not outright confrontational kind of muggers.....seemed like the police there get real tough on such criminals if they try to touch the tourists.....think the upcoming Olympics has something to do with their desire to make China Tourist-safe...bring
Will be going to Kunming mid-Jan......my gears would be my main luggage.....just my view for others who are planning trips to China.

Frankly, I dare to walk the streets in Beijing alone late at night but not KL.

Be careful in places like Penang....was extorted once.....best is to avoid eye contact with suspicious guys hanging around.....JB.....I would not even bring my PNS.

Status
Not open for further replies.