Cheapest place to develop film in Singapore?

charliebomb

Dec 16, 2012
singapore
Does anyone knows where is the cheapest place to develop b&w or color 200mm film. I used a diana f+, which is pretty expensive to play with. I developed it once at Triple D @ $13 for b&w film a few years back. Recommended places anyone? Thanks!

hi charliebomb,

it costs around 4.50 - 6 sgd for C-41 (ie. color or xp2 b&W) film.
this is the standard rate for development, ie film -> negative
it costs more if you want to print.

B&W requires a somewhat different process and costs more.

if you are an occasional user, then shooting color C-41 (not slides) makes
economical sense. if you intend to shoot more, say B&W, then developing your
own film is very cheap.

an initial setup of around 100 sgd + another 30-50sgd of chemicals, you will be
good to go for 30-50 rolls of film. Let me give you an example,

d-76 powder is available at ruby for 12 sgd, this makes a 3.8Litre stock solution.
a 120 format requires around 500ml of solution+water.
assuming you mix it at 1+3 dilution, you are looking at 500 / (1+3) = 125ml of stock solution.
So a 3800 ml of stock solution can make 3800/125 = 30 rolls of BW 120-format film.
It is likely that your stock solution will go flat after 6 months than you using up 30 rolls within that time.

raytoei

hi charliebomb,

it costs around 4.50 - 6 sgd for C-41 (ie. color or xp2 b&W) film.
this is the standard rate for development, ie film -> negative
it costs more if you want to print.

B&W requires a somewhat different process and costs more.

if you are an occasional user, then shooting color C-41 (not slides) makes
economical sense. if you intend to shoot more, say B&W, then developing your
own film is very cheap.

an initial setup of around 100 sgd + another 30-50sgd of chemicals, you will be
good to go for 30-50 rolls of film. Let me give you an example,

d-76 powder is available at ruby for 12 sgd, this makes a 3.8Litre stock solution.
a 120 format requires around 500ml of solution+water.
assuming you mix it at 1+3 dilution, you are looking at 500 / (1+3) = 125ml of stock solution.
So a 3800 ml of stock solution can make 3800/125 = 30 rolls of BW 120-format film.
It is likely that your stock solution will go flat after 6 months than you using up 30 rolls within that time.

raytoei

Hi

Jus curious . Developing also means dark room, skill and the red colour light u see on tv when they develop films?

develop -> film to negative. you generally do not use a dark room. you use a dark bag.
normal bw film is Panchromatic, the film is sensitive to all light,
so red light in darkroom cannot be use

we generally develop film to negative in a dark bag.

negative -> print requires a darkroom, this is usually what is seen
in the movies. these days, people do not use a darkroom but use
a scanner. so that negative -> jpg/tiff.

hope this helps.

raytoei

Hi

Jus curious . Developing also means dark room, skill and the red colour light u see on tv when they develop films?
that is making prints.

developing film you don't need darkroom, don't need the red color light, loading film into developing film can be done with a changing bag.

that is making prints.

developing film you don't need darkroom, don't need the red color light, loading film into developing film can be done with a changing bag.

Thanks alot.

You can call this person for black and white developing svc .. 97539922 .. Jotham ..

Hi, there... and apolgies TS if for the intrusion.. Some question I have may also benefit newbies here. I am one here also who like to try on bw and at same time manage cost.

. Bulk loader,
. Development tank, Reels n such that do 35mm and 120.
. Chemicals, Developer, Fixer, wetting agent. HC110, Rodinal
. Thermometer, timer...
. bulk films, bw, slides..

Do we actually save if we got them online, price + shipping from maybe, b&h or its the same if we buy them all from Ruby.

All advise and inputs are welcome.
Thanks.

Personally, second hand on the BnS section is cheaper. Post a WTB post and I'm pretty sure many old timers will be keen to unload their whole truckload of stuff on you for less than a tenth of the original price. Of course the equipment might be a little old and smells a little, but if managing cost is critical and you don't want to spend too much money on something you aren't sure of; I think this is a good way.

As for chemicals, you have to get those fresh.. I don't recommend touching expired chems especially if its your first go.

Last edited:
Hi, there... and apolgies TS if for the intrusion.. Some question I have may also benefit newbies here. I am one here also who like to try on bw and at same time manage cost.

. Bulk loader,
. Development tank, Reels n such that do 35mm and 120.
. Chemicals, Developer, Fixer, wetting agent. HC110, Rodinal
. Thermometer, timer...
. bulk films, bw, slides..

Do we actually save if we got them online, price + shipping from maybe, b&h or its the same if we buy them all from Ruby.

All advise and inputs are welcome.
Thanks.

Sometime items like tanks and reels you can try and get second hand. Chemicals a bit tricky, no US retailer will shipped to here but I got my color kit shipped from Germany and the freight cost is more than the kit itself. So best bet for B&W chemical is to get it from Ruby. The same goes for film, some films like Ilford the cost comes to almost the same for getting it locally and shipping it from overseas. Kodak Portra may be worth shipping in if you can get a good deal from online retailer, otherwise just for a few cents of saving you might as well support the local retailer business.

What is worth shipping in from overseas are films generally not brought in by the local retailer such as Arista or even Kentmere, or those specialty films from Kodak or Fuji.

I started out with the bare minimum cuz I didn't want to spend too much. For developing, this means a developing tank, changing bag (large), hc110 developer and ilford rapid fix. This is the bare minimum.

I didn't use thermometer, just used the coldest tap water. Instead of scanner I used DSLR and ipad! Definitely not recommended, though you can still get good results but it was so tedious. Eventually you will buy everything else if you enjoy film, so if you can afford it try to buy the good quality stuff first or else you might end up buying twice. I even sold my DSLR to buy more film!! Haha

Last edited:
I bought the entire film developing kit from Ruby 2 years back at around $80+ (Tank/Thermometer/Developer/Fixer/Measuring Flask/some film), then got a darkbag from my friend. Although sometimes I just load the tank at night under my blanket with all the lights off.

Still using the kit regularly today, only replacing the chemicals once in a while since I use very high dilutions for the developer and reuse my fixer as well.

Does anyone scan xpan pictures in Singapore. Been only developing and scanning with my friends scanner. Is there any store that will do it? ( in panoramic mode )

I started out with the bare minimum cuz I didn't want to spend too much. For developing, this means a developing tank, changing bag (large), hc110 developer and ilford rapid fix. This is the bare minimum.

I didn't use thermometer, just used the coldest tap water. Instead of scanner I used DSLR and ipad! Definitely not recommended, though you can still get good results but it was so tedious. Eventually you will buy everything else if you enjoy film, so if you can afford it try to buy the good quality stuff first or else you might end up buying twice. I even sold my DSLR to buy more film!! Haha

Im in the process of selling off my ep3 too. got started to this (expensive) hobby thru the need for a decent camera and got hooked to vintage lenses that I used with my ep3. That was when i saw a deal for a yashica fx 3 for pretty darn cheap and THAT WAS IT. The moment i had it in my hands i knew i wanted to learn more about film.

Whenever I go out, its the fx 3 that I bring with me, not the ep3 hence decided better to let it go than keep it in a dry box most of the time. Plus, with the additional cash, I do intend to try my hand at developing B&W negatives soon! Sending my rolls to the shops all the time is getting a bit too expensive (and far) for me.

Will be looking to get help and guidance from you guys!

Im in the process of selling off my ep3 too. got started to this (expensive) hobby thru the need for a decent camera and got hooked to vintage lenses that I used with my ep3. That was when i saw a deal for a yashica fx 3 for pretty darn cheap and THAT WAS IT. The moment i had it in my hands i knew i wanted to learn more about film.

Whenever I go out, its the fx 3 that I bring with me, not the ep3 hence decided better to let it go than keep it in a dry box most of the time. Plus, with the additional cash, I do intend to try my hand at developing B&W negatives soon! Sending my rolls to the shops all the time is getting a bit too expensive (and far) for me.

Will be looking to get help and guidance from you guys!

I think its a myth that self development is cheaper. It is only true when you develop a lot of film (>20 rolls a month). Otherwise the time and money you spend buying equipment and learning how to do it right and the time to actually do the development, will probably cost more than sending it to a lab especially if you are a low volume shooter. Self development is more for people who are interested to learn more about film and the development and want to get better quality negatives through more control. Not that I want to pour cold water, but I think its important that others don't get a misconception.

Hmm 20 rolls a month is a bit much, no? I only shoot 2-3 rolls a month, still using my chemicals from 6 months ago :D That still means about 30+ rolls per year. Once the start up cost is covered, the ongoing cost of chemicals is quite affordable.

For colour negative... of course no question, bring to lab! haha

Last edited:
yes, I agree, the benefit of doing self processing and printing is to have total control of the output, but you need to see whether is justifiable.

your time cost money, your space cost money, your set up cost money, saving on chemicals and paper? that is noting.

I used to have a darkroom with proper set up, air con, custom made sink, 4x5 enlarger, set of three trays from 4x5 up to 20x24, couples of daylight roll film processing tanks, about 10 to 15 reels,
sheet film processing tank, darkroom timer, enlarger timer, thermometers and many other things. all given up because simply it does not justify my time.

and I had given up shooting film for more than 10 years.

yes, I agree, the benefit of doing self processing and printing is to have total control of the output, but you need to see whether is justifiable.

your time cost money, your space cost money, your set up cost money, saving on chemicals and paper? that is noting.

I used to have a darkroom with proper set up, air con, custom made sink, 4x5 enlarger, set of three trays from 4x5 up to 20x24, couples of daylight roll film processing tanks, about 10 to 15 reels,
sheet film processing tank, darkroom timer, enlarger timer, thermometers and many other things. all given up because simply it does not justify my time.

and I had given up shooting film for more than 10 years.

digital is cheaper in my humble opinion..

wet darkroom is so much hassle... took so much to do one print one is happy about.. the only good thing is that it seems the print cannot be replicated by printer.. haha.. at least by me..

don't think i can go far in film..

I think its a myth that self development is cheaper. It is only true when you develop a lot of film (>20 rolls a month). Otherwise the time and money you spend buying equipment and learning how to do it right and the time to actually do the development, will probably cost more than sending it to a lab especially if you are a low volume shooter. Self development is more for people who are interested to learn more about film and the development and want to get better quality negatives through more control. Not that I want to pour cold water, but I think its important that others don't get a misconception.

I think kgston has brought up a valid point. Although self-development may seem cheaper on the surface, the cost may actually be higher if you are a low volume user. This is especially true when you try to add on a good film scanner to your equipment list. That being said, the high cost is an INITIAL investment as the film developing cost will lower over time as you process more rolls.

An additional benefit of developing your own film is that you can see your negatives as soon as you develop them and you don't have to wait for the shops to develop it for you. In my opinion, that is the best kind of feeling you can get from developing your own film.

Cheers.