Charged $1 for receiving an unsolicited CNY greeting SMS

Status
Not open for further replies.
rx an sms from M1 yesterday stating that i will be reinbursed.

rx a call from their CSO this morning confirming it.

markccm said:
rx an sms from M1 yesterday stating that i will be reinbursed.

rx a call from their CSO this morning confirming it.
U should not stop there, u should question M1 why in the 1st place they charge u for a service u did not subscribe.

nightwolf75 said:
today's ST got published a combined letter from the 3 telcos... basically, the tone is the same as the M1 customer officer who called me 3 days ago...

its not my (ie telco) problem, so dun bother me (ie telco) and go bug mTouche... :rolleyes:

No offence here, but to the telcos, they are just merely forwarding what the external subscribers have charged them.

As to the extent of finding out whether the additional value added service(s) are actually requested for by the customer, they are unable to do so, as this is out of their control (its an external billing party, not within their own systems.)

It's just like making roaming phone calls/1900 numbers. If the external telcos/companies forward the charges to them, what they would normally do would be to foward the charges to bill and inform the customer.

Alarm bells would only ring on their side only when customers call in to complain about the fraudlent charges. Honestly, the telcos would find it almost impossible to find out what was actually agreed upon between us and the 3rd party. The best thing that they can do would only to investigate after the customer complains.

Of course, whether the telcos actually make the effort to investgate is another thing. :)

Astin said:
Yes u should, and if the operator tell u dont bother her (usual M1 reply, I kanna that), ask to speak to her manager.

yes SIR...

jus call...

she say they would do a refund and would reflex on the next bill..

SNAG said:
No offence here, but to the telcos, they are just merely forwarding what the external subscribers have charged them.

As to the extent of finding out whether the additional value added service(s) are actually requested for by the customer, they are unable to do so, as this is out of their control (its an external billing party, not within their own systems.)

It's just like making roaming phone calls/1900 numbers. If the external telcos/companies forward the charges to them, what they would normally do would be to foward the charges to bill and inform the customer.

Alarm bells would only ring on their side only when customers call in to complain about the fraudlent charges. Honestly, the telcos would find it almost impossible to find out what was actually agreed upon between us and the 3rd party. The best thing that they can do would only to investigate after the customer complains.

Of course, whether the telcos actually make the effort to investgate is another thing. :)
If this is true, the telco billing system would be subjected to abuse and fraud. "I dont know, I just charge u what the 3rd party charge u!"
Still remember that guy from Asia Brewery? And some bank managers who were caught for fraudulence?

I just received this sms msg from "MyGlobalfun"....

SMS.jpg

So I guess I will just wait for my next bill to come then~

For those involved in this. There is a statement today in the forum section of the straits times

lil_princess said:
I just received this sms msg from "MyGlobalfun"....

SMS.jpg

So I guess I will just wait for my next bill to come then~

me too...

something is seriously overlooked.

Why were our numbers in mTouche's database? Where did they get our numbers from?

Who is this "MyGlobal Fun" that Mtouche is trying to put the blame on? Has anyone heard of them?

Domain Name.......... myglobalfun.com
Creation Date........ 2006-02-15
Registration Date.... 2006-02-15
Expiry Date.......... 2007-02-15
Organisation Name.... Derrick Lum

How do you go about billing 500,000 "customers" in error without anyone noticing?

If they are merely forwarding the bill, and asking us to contact the 3P provider directly when anything goes wrong, then am I right to say that with this wash hands attitude, they shouldn't be imposing late payment charges or interest rates or cutting off lines if I pay for their bill but dont pay for the 3P provider's portion? Since they are adopting sucha hands off attitude, they shouldn't have the right ot charge late payment or impose any penalties.

If they want to be part of the process and wants to collect middle man's fee for collecting, then they should be at the front line to answer the queries and not ask us to ask mtouche directly - this is very irresponsible and they are clearly only wanting the benefit but not the burdens of collceting money.

SNAG said:

Sometimes, the "error" only surfaces when a PR fallout occurs - it won't be an "error" if everyone paid up without asking.

reflecx said:
Who is this "MyGlobal Fun" that Mtouche is trying to put the blame on? Has anyone heard of them?

How do you go about billing 500,000 "customers" in error without anyone noticing?

AReality said:
something is seriously overlooked.

Why were our numbers in mTouche's database? Where did they get our numbers from?

Assuming mTouche has clients with shortcodes from 70,000 to 79,999, that's 10,000 numbers with 10,000 services. Assuming User A voted in Singapore idol with no. 77330. Does this means that all 10,000 services can have User A's number in their database of clients and send chargeable sms to User A? 'cos I do not think anyone ever signed up with myGlobalfun.

yes... i think so.

mtouche supposedly got numbers thru the telephone voting system used in shows like Idol or Superstar.

This issue is very unbelieveable, M1 and Singtel and Starhub are taking a 180 degree U-turn within a week, from denying responsibility on Monday to making clarification on Straits Times on Saturday, and somemore the 3 companies jointly sent a letter to Straits Times, very unbelieveable.

reflecx said:

hmm...where did you get this info? very fishy leh. registered on 15 feb. sounds like this was created so mtouche (and or telcos) can deflect the blame :think:

mTouche put a big apology add in Saturday's the Strait Times! hahaha. Great job of complain, guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.