Canon Spring Post PMA Surprise!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, and Canon is also releasing a new range of doorstops and paperweights... the white DO series... for when you stub your toe and go... Homer Simpson style...

Originally posted by Red Dawn

Hi

think u missed the point completely.

Canon's doorstops and paperweights are very slient in operation with their USM (Unheard Slamming Mechanism) technology, and very fast. Try slamming that door, and the doorstop will quickly dampen the movement and stop the door completely, and all this with completely silent operation.

Try that with Nikon doorstops. Most of them, except for the high end expensive AFS (Afterthought Force-Fit Silencer) ones, create grinding and creaking sounds and they turn and turn but just couldn't achieve a lock on the door :)

even then, Nikon high end doorstops achieve door lock slower than Canon ones ;p

ROFL!!! :bsmilie:

No, those turn and turn and turn ones are not the AFS ones, they were made by a company called SickMa (no, not to be confused with Sigma).

No, AFS stands for "Absolutely Fast and Silent". These doorstops are absolutely fast and silent. Now available in either cool gray or utilitarian black. You pay a premium for it, but it WILL ensure that your door doesn't slam. :cool: :)

Regards
CK

Originally posted by Jed
Yeah, and Canon is also releasing a new range of doorstops and paperweights... the white DO series... for when you stub your toe and go... Homer Simpson style...

*HNNNNG*

CORNY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by Jed

it happens to Nikon door stops as well!

that's why they have CPS (Canon Professional Services) and NPS (Nikon Professional Services) where they will take care of you ;p

Originally posted by ckiang

No, AFS stands for "Absolutely Fast and Silent". These doorstops are absolutely fast and silent. Now available in either cool gray or utilitarian black. You pay a premium for it, but it WILL ensure that your door doesn't slam. :cool: :)

Canon's USM (Unheard Slamming Mechanism) does that too, and better. No, AFS is really Afterthought ForceFit Silencer cos it was an afterthought after Nikon saw Canon brought out USM :)

And it took Nikon only recently to figure out how to fit AFS and VR (Vibration Reduction) together on the same door stop, while Canon has had USM and IS (Intelligent Stabilisation) for its doorstops for ages!

When u slam that door into a Canon doorstop, it is frozen in a blink of the eye, silent and oh yes, the door is stabilised as well and does not shake!

Ever wonder why white Canon doorstops are dominant at major events and black tie parties? :D

Hmmm... Red Dawn, you just can't resist trying to take a swipe at Nikon can you? ;) That last post quite flammable leh... just replace doorstop with lens at times... see what I mean? Relax!

And no, Canon does not have more doorstops at major events... I can vouch for that. I counted at least a Nikon doorstop under every door for every Canon doorstop under a door.

But stop discussing their lenses and cameras, and stick to doorstops and paperweights, and I don't just mean pseudonyms.

Originally posted by Jed
Hmmm... Red Dawn, you just can't resist trying to take a swipe at Nikon can you? ;) That last post quite flammable leh... just replace doorstop with lens at times... see what I mean? Relax!

And no, Canon does not have more doorstops at major events... I can vouch for that. I counted at least a Nikon doorstop under every door for every Canon doorstop under a door.

But stop discussing their lenses and cameras, and stick to doorstops and paperweights, and I don't just mean pseudonyms.

hey Jed, u're supposed to be asleep already, while i swipe Nikon :devil:

actually i meant rubber grips as the lens (see my threads above) and doorstops as the actual camera body, but somehow along the way the 2 got melded into 1 and doorstops seem to refer to lenses as well as camera bodies ;p

whao...u guys use 400mm, 2.8 for doorstops? man...i use the 1200mm to whack a baseball and look at the ball fly!!

actually, IMHO, whether doorstops or not, lens are lens, and its a personal preference on what brand and what type u like. i personally like the Canon 50mm, 1.8 and oh pls, it is not even a paper weight, so dont even talk about a doorstop...but it makes a good baseball for my 1200mm to whack though...haha

cheers,
leonard

Originally posted by Red Dawn
Hi

the next thing we know, the forums will be full of posts like

"I have Door A. Which doorstop should i buy?"

"I mainly open doors from inside out. Which doorstop is better?"

"24mm third party Rubber pads for doorstops - Tamron, Tokina or Sigma?"

"My Canon doorstop is better than your Nikon one"

But....but everyone knows you can't go past a Hassy or Rollei as a high class doorstop...

Originally posted by langzi
whao...u guys use 400mm, 2.8 for doorstops? man...i use the 1200mm to whack a baseball and look at the ball fly!!

I do, I really really do. And it also makes a good footrest, coffee table and chair in my small college room... quite a valuable and versatile piece of furniture really! (I'm talking about the hardcase with lens inside, yes?)

i personally like the Canon 50mm, 1.8 and oh pls, it is not even a paper weight, so dont even talk about a doorstop...but it makes a good baseball for my 1200mm to whack though...haha

:bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Originally posted by Ian

But....but everyone knows you can't go past a Hassy or Rollei as a high class doorstop...

Yeah... doesn't anyone know or Germans can make good rubber grips for doorstops? Any doorstop from Schneider or Zeiss will far outperform Japanese rubber, and experts are able to tell the difference from just by looking at the rubber in question to distinguish between the German rubber and the inferior Japanese stuff.

;)

Displaying one's doorstop ignorance I see. Everyone who's ever used a super tele over 600mm knows that they make bad doorstops as they are too long and catch womens dresses when they walk by.

On a more serious note:

As if you've ever used a 1200/8 let alone an 800/5.6 or 300/2 primes. Chances are you've never even seen those lenses in person as they are seriously rare but to some of us they are tools of the trade.

Originally posted by Jed

Yeah... doesn't anyone know or Germans can make good rubber grips for doorstops? Any doorstop from Schneider or Zeiss will far outperform Japanese rubber, and experts are able to tell the difference from just by looking at the rubber in question to distinguish between the German rubber and the inferior Japanese stuff.

;)

i heard the "Car Heist" rubbers from Germany are really good......
so are the "Lais" ones......

yup, much better than Canon or Nikon!

First Canon and Nikon get into the doorstop and paperweight markets.

Now the German manufacturers are making rubbers. I suppose they're guaranteed to be leakproof (a mark of Teutonic, [or Titanic?] engineering).

What is the world coming to?

No no, the Germans have always been making doorstops and paperweights. But how good a doorstop is depends on the quality of it's rubber, not the actual doorstop, which is after all just a light tight weight. It's the rubber that provides the grip that really stops the door.

The Germans have a history of making better rubber. Zeiss and Schneider in particular are renown for their excellent tractioned rubber doorstops.

whao......first it was the top 2 manufacturer and now u guys drag in the hassy...haha...wat's next? horseman?

man..this is fun....wonder when digital's gonna pop in...haha

oh...here comes my 50mm...."whack"...loook at it fllyyyy!!!

wait...a Hassy can be used for a fish tank for guppies right? u feed it through the top and view it through the lens.....

cheers,
leonard

whao......first it was the top 2 manufacturer and now u guys drag in the hassy...haha...wat's next? horseman?

Everyone knows that horseman live in the stables so can't be used as a doorstop!

Status
Not open for further replies.