Canon DSLR vs Nikon DSLR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok ok, a "real" piece of advice then. Since you are new to DSLR like you said, why not go on outings with your P&S first and get to try out all the models the other shooters are using for free? Join nikon outings to try nikon, canon outings to try canon, pentax outings to try pentax... Just pick any outing from the outings thread to try (we're all friendly people here). Confirm no loss (except maybe bus/taxi/food fare). :bsmilie:

You might even make a few new friends who can then advice you (better yet, accompany you) on your dslr purchase to ensure that you don't get chopped. ;)

Ok ok, a "real" piece of advice then. Since you are new to DSLR like you said, why not go on outings with your P&S first and get to try out all the models the other shooters are using for free? Join nikon outings to try nikon, canon outings to try canon, pentax outings to try pentax... Just pick any outing from the outings thread to try (we're all friendly people here). Confirm no loss (except maybe bus/taxi/food fare). :bsmilie:

You might even make a few new friends who can then advice you (better yet, accompany you) on your dslr purchase to ensure that you don't get chopped. ;)

Yup, good advice. Even the Sony users have regular outings (as well as TCSS over Prata, etc)

Hi. I'm currently looking to buy a decent DSLR camera. I'm relatively new to DSLR cameras but getting one cos i'm upgrading from a simple point-and-shoot camera as i'm tired of getting blurred/photos of poor qualities. I'm comparing between Canon and Nikon DSLRs. Hope you guys can advise. Thank you :)

Hi,

I'm sure you've read that you can't go wrong with either of them.

Go try these entry level models out:
Nikon D90
Canon 500D

I was like you - tired of pictures of poor quality ie. blurry.

I am very happy with a DSLR. Go get one. It does not improve the quality of your pics 'marginally'. It improves it by LEAPS and BOUNDS. The ones who say there is 'little' difference between a point-and-shoot and a DSLR probably don't know how to use a DSLR.;)

To name a few of the good points of a DSLR, I get all the pictures of moments I want. No more shutter lag. I don't need to flash into my kids' eyes anymore. I get to blur out backgrounds when I want.

Go get one!

Hi,

I'm sure you've read that you can't go wrong with either of them.

Go try these entry level models out:
Nikon D90
Canon 500D

I was like you - tired of pictures of poor quality ie. blurry.

I am very happy with a DSLR. Go get one. It does not improve the quality of your pics 'marginally'. It improves it by LEAPS and BOUNDS. The ones who say there is 'little' difference between a point-and-shoot and a DSLR probably don't know how to use a DSLR.;)

To name a few of the good points of a DSLR, I get all the pictures of moments I want. No more shutter lag. I don't need to flash into my kids' eyes anymore. I get to blur out backgrounds when I want.

Go get one!
I sorta agree with you, but I think you're sending out the wrong message with the 'leaps and bounds' remark.
This is the problem. Most people think that a DSLR is some kind of 'magic weapon' that can overcome whatever problem they're facing with their PnS.

Just the other day I happened to walk past a tourist couple at the corner of Forum Shopping Mall. It was late evening and they were trying to take one of those "i was there" photos with Hard Rock Cafe in the background. The lady tried first with her PnS. From the disappointed and puzzled look on her face, I assume she wasn't happy with the result. So out came the DSLR (the man was carrying it) and attempt #2. The look on the face was pretty much the same after reviewing the photo :)

Interesting thread. Well i guess the simplest way to put it. Put a noob driver in a F-1 Car and put Lewis hamilton in a BMW M3. Put them both on the race track, who will win?
there is no shortcut in photography as well. Yes, DSLR will improve image quality if you use it correctly. If you don't even understand the basic of photography, i suggest going for a prosumer model first. Learn the the neccessary foundation skill first. if not you will be the Noob driver struggling to drive a F-1.

FYI, Joseph Wigfall one of the world best street photographer uses LX-3 for most of his street photography. Hope this helps the TS clear his mind.

Last edited:
Hope you understand that DSLRs will not fix your problems. DSLR gives you better and stronger tools to capture the picture. But you need to know how to control them to get what you want. So do not assume that once you get a DSLR, all your pictures will suddenly stop being blur and your pictures will suddenly become high quality.

Canon or Nikon or Pentax or Sony don't matter. They are both capable of delivering results. And at your level, any model will work. Many differences in features makes no difference for you at your level.

You should also know that most people on the average will experience that for the initial period of owning a DSLR, the pictures all turn out much worse than from their old PnS.

Anyway, here are some links that offer some good reading material to help you get started.

Singapore Camera equipment price guides:
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=124

Newbie guide to buying lenses:
http://www.dpreview.com/learn/?/Guides/lens_buying_guide_01.htm

Newbie guide to buying DSLR:
http://www.dpreview.com/learn/?/Guides/dslr_buying_guide_01.htm

Basics of camera operation:
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=309544

Composition
http://www.amateursnapper.com/photography/10-top-photography-composition-rules
http://www.digital-photography-school.com/digital-photography-composition-tips
http://www.digital-photography-school.com/10-more-quick-composition-tips-illustrated

Flash photography
http://www.gentleye.com/photo/photoart/advflash/index.html
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=171657

More topics covered here:
http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials.htm
:thumbsup:

Hi. I'm currently looking to buy a decent DSLR camera. I'm relatively new to DSLR cameras but getting one cos i'm upgrading from a simple point-and-shoot camera as i'm tired of getting blurred/photos of poor qualities. I'm comparing between Canon and Nikon DSLRs. Hope you guys can advise. Thank you :)
Canon=excellent on your pocket
Nikon=excellent lenses
Sony=Utter rubbish
Leica, Hasselblad=burning an oversized hole in your pocket

For your standard, I will strongly recommend Canon G12 PnS. Its point and shoot, but it has certain features of dslr (manual tuning, etc)

Personally I have my 400D, and I love it.

I sorta agree with you, but I think you're sending out the wrong message with the 'leaps and bounds' remark.
This is the problem. Most people think that a DSLR is some kind of 'magic weapon' that can overcome whatever problem they're facing with their PnS.

Just the other day I happened to walk past a tourist couple at the corner of Forum Shopping Mall. It was late evening and they were trying to take one of those "i was there" photos with Hard Rock Cafe in the background. The lady tried first with her PnS. From the disappointed and puzzled look on her face, I assume she wasn't happy with the result. So out came the DSLR (the man was carrying it) and attempt #2. The look on the face was pretty much the same after reviewing the photo :)
:thumbsup:

Nikon=excellent lenses
Sony=Utter rubbish

For your standard, I will strongly recommend Canon G12 PnS. Its point and shoot, but it has certain features of dslr (manual tuning, etc)

this is SOooo wrong on so many levels. I would suggest you delete this (and I will do the same) or else prepare to face the wrath! :)

Nikon=excellent lenses
Sony=Utter rubbish

Bro...this is so wrong!!! You missed out the Pentax. You missed out the Oly. How can??? :cry:

this is SOooo wrong on so many levels. I would suggest you delete this (and I will do the same) or else prepare to face the wrath! :)
Honestly, I'm just stating facts... Sony fanboys may not agree though

Nikon=excellent lenses
Sony=Utter rubbish

HAHAHA

Once again you post something that has no basis in facts.

Yes, we certainly don't agree. Why not state, on a factual basis, why Sony is utter rubbish, why Canon is friendly on the pocket (despite having the most expensive bodies and lenses) and why you think Nikon has the best lenses? (despite professional reviews)

Please, state your facts. Right now.

Last edited:

I give you good advise. Buy both. Very value for money. No need to compare...they are the same. Lens components made by the same company. :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

perhaps you need to check the dictionary about what the definition of 'fact' is.... :D

A fact is something that cannot be refuted.
What you are stating are your OPINIONS. Please don't confuse the 2...

Status
Not open for further replies.