Canon announces G7

Status
Not open for further replies.
They removed RAW support, and it has a slower f2.8 lens now. But the ISO dial on top is a nice feature.

I can't help but to feel saddened at their decision to remove RAW support so that it doesn't compete with their DSLR lines. Also the slower lens kinda removes it from what made other G series unique, having a bright lens with slightly lesser DOF option. I wonder how ISO 1600 on that 10 mp 1/1.8" sensor looks like. Whole lot of buttons on the cam, though it's a very different cam to me now...

Digic III is out finally.. this is guinea pig for Digic III..once tested and proved, it will come in the next years DSLRs..

"customisable shortcut button for faster access to camera settings."

basket... they put on a prosumer what we been asking for DSLRs for so blardy long now.

but this looks very interesting indeed... definitely up there on my list for a compact travelling camera.

pity 35mm is a little bit on the wide side though at its widest.

I think it is cool, especially for underwater photography! Now have IS and Hotshoe. Wonder if this will kill the S3IS? It is also very small and portable.

yea i was wondering about it v the S3is. i would prefer to get this because its more compact.. and looks nicer to imo. but S3 still wins on zoom length.. 2x what the G7 has.

Good that they come in black, look nice! Very good for use for travelling & hiking.

Was waiting for this model last year; in the end I assumed they are going to discontinue the series so got a A610 instead.

First reaction when I read this ... urgh!

But upon closer inspection, I realise they left out 2 features which I value the most ... RAW support and the flip-out and twist LCD ... so I'm not missing much! :cool:

jdredd said:
yea i was wondering about it v the S3is. i would prefer to get this because its more compact.. and looks nicer to imo. but S3 still wins on zoom length.. 2x what the G7 has.
Think S3IS serves a different function. More of a long zoom compact, with optical zoom in movie mode that has stereo. Recording cars wizzing past is qutie fun, you can really hear the stereo effect. G7 seems to be a bit more of a serious camera, with hotshoe. Really sad about lack of RAW and the loss of that excellent f2.0 glass. Think it might have something to do with the fact that they now have added IS, so had to redesign the lens?

Agree with Adam Goi, the flip twist LCD will be missed.

maybe the digic III makes jpg so good, it doesn't need raw. :eek:

Raw gives better white balancing options, a little over-exposure lattitude to play with. Those are the qualities that Jpeg can't replace.

lightning said:
I think it is cool, especially for underwater photography! Now have IS and Hotshoe. Wonder if this will kill the S3IS? It is also very small and portable.

I agree. Will get it if the price is right. Good for macro.

huh
i thought they discontinued the g-series?

lim8395 said:
G7 looks nice and retro looking!

pity the f2.8 lens

The high ISO should make up for it. Not really an issue I think.

Given the huge DOF of prosumer / consumer cams, I believe a f2.0 lens would give slightly lesser DOF, which may or may not be what the user wants.

sci80298 said:
I agree. Will get it if the price is right. Good for macro.

Hope to read the review soon.. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.