Canon 72 dpi vs Nikon 300 dpi??

Status
Not open for further replies.

blacklanner

Oct 1, 2008
North East
Hi Guys, not sure if anyone notice, photos taken with my 7D or my friend's 450D showed 72 dpi on L fine vs Nikon's images which indicates 300 dpi (taken with my previous D80)?

Hi Guys, not sure if anyone notice, photos taken with my 7D or my friend's 450D showed 72 dpi on L fine vs Nikon's images which indicates 300 dpi (taken with my previous D80)?
that is viewing resolution on computer monitor, you don't have change it or too concern about it.

there was a thread on this a while back, thats the maximum output your computer can give you so it thinks its 72 dpi.

It's just a number stored in the image file. You could edit this attribute with some image editors without changing anything else. The resolution of digital images are the pixel dimensions, rather than the "dpi" attribute. If it makes you feel better, just change the dpi setting to 10000, keeping the same pixel dimensions ;p

Last edited:
I think this has something to do with the picture file you take. If you take the pic on RAW then dpi are usually 250 or 300 dpi while JPGs are set to 72 dpi. That is why best to take at RAW which is like the negative film for dSLRs..

I think this has something to do with the picture file you take. If you take the pic on RAW then dpi are usually 250 or 300 dpi while JPGs are set to 72 dpi. That is why best to take at RAW which is like the negative film for dSLRs..
dpi and actual pixel dimension has no relation.

Increasing dpi does not improve image quality when u view over the screen, like mpenza said.

If you like more dpi to be view on your screen, change it here:
1d1b7b33.jpg
:nono:

LOL :bsmilie:

reminds me that someone told me his handphone camera can take better pic than my 1D2 because the jpeg come out from his handphone cam is 300dpi when my 1D2 gives only 72dpi

reminds me that someone told me his handphone camera can take better pic than my 1D2 because the jpeg come out from his handphone cam is 300dpi when my 1D2 gives only 72dpi
ya! ya! my D70 can take better photos....... :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

My S5 IS takes JPEG at 180dpi, so it win 1DMK2 liao? lolx :bsmilie::bsmilie::bsmilie:

DPI = dots per inch.
pixel resolution = xxxx pixels X xxxx pixels. 1 pixel you can say is dot.

So DPI setting will determine the physical size of the picture when printed. But resolution (number of pixels) remain the same. So viewing on the computer, DPI doesn't matter.

But when printing, it is advisable to set to 200 to 300 dpi for acceptable print media, and your DPI setting will determine how big the picture is (in terms of inches). And if resolution remains the same, playing around with dpi setting in PP software, you can vary the actual size of the image printed.

there was a thread on this a while back, thats the maximum output your computer can give you so it thinks its 72 dpi.

DPI can be set. Monitors are capable of way more than 72 dpi nowadays (just use your monitor resolution/area of screen. e.g.1440x990=1.4M pixels, divide that by area of your monitor screen in inches and you will know it is way above 72). but images show up in their resolution (number of pixels) not affected by dpi of the pic itself.

72 dpi is usually the accepted dpi for web images, so that sort of became the defacto dpi for most jpegs.

Selecting which dpi really comes into play when printing.

Last edited:
DPI can be set. Monitors are capable of way more than 72 dpi nowadays (just use your monitor resolution/area of screen. e.g.1440x990=1.4M pixels, divide that by area of your monitor screen in inches and you will know it is way above 72). but images show up in their resolution (number of pixels) not affected by dpi of the pic itself.

72 dpi is usually the accepted dpi for web images, so that sort of became the defacto dpi for most jpegs.

Selecting which dpi really comes into play when printing.

Yes! DPI plays a role when printing images..but for onscreen viewing/web 72 dpi is the norm and it appears good.. try printing and you should see the difference up close :)

Some people here seemed to be confused abt "dpi". They come into play when the print size is specified. A so called "72dpi" 3000x2000 image file printed on a 4R delivers actual 500 dpi (not the "72 dpi" stored in the file). If printed on 20 inches by 30 inches, the actual DPI will be 300. DPI changes as the print size changes. A so called "10000dpi" 1800x1200 picture printed on 4R has 300 dpi (not the "10000" dpi stored in the file). The so-called "dpi" value in the file assumed a particular print size.

As I mentioned before, you could change the dpi setting in an image editor to whatever you like and keep the pixel dimensions the same (e.g. Adobe Photoshop can change it).

Essentially, this "dpi" attribute has no meaning at all without a print/view size specified. Most image viewers and printers could show or print at whatever size you want and the dpi change accordingly.

In publishing, DPI is used more often commonly but with specific print size.

Last edited:

dude, this only matters when you print

Status
Not open for further replies.