Can Metz 58AF-2 flash do HSS multi shot?

funkyjazz

Mar 24, 2011
I try to use my Metz 58AF-2 for high speed syn multi continueous shots on my K5. It only flash 1 time. Is this the limitation of the flash or my flash defective?

If I'm not wrong, it's the limitation of the flash. High speed sync (HSS) does not mean you can do continuous shots. HSS just means that you can trigger the flash with a shutter speed higher than 1/180 (AKA X-Sync speed). To do continuous shots with the flash keeping up (in any mode; manual, auto, pTTL or pTTL HSS), you would need the help of a battery pack (to charge up the flash faster).

Last edited:
Its sad to know that if it is the limitation. My friend's Nikon flash can do it.:(

Its sad to know that if it is the limitation. My friend's Nikon flash can do it.:(

Well, charging time does play a part in getting the flash to recycle power faster. What batteries are our friend using in his flash? Does he use with a power pack? I know that there is a power pack for the Metz but it is costly.

to speed up your flash recycling rate. u can bump up your iso to 800 or higher. having higher iso will means using less power for each flash triggers. your flash recycling rate will increase alittle.

I guess, if you dont need ttl, just do manual flash, you can put the nikon flash on pentax camera,

it should let you do continue burst, as it just trigger the flash to flash.

The Nikon flash is powered by normal batteries without power pack. My two friends both using two different model of Nikon flash without problem with HSS multi burst. I guess it is the limitation of Metz.

For single shot with multi burst, Metz has no problem to recycle. But when I try fast shutter speed 1/1000 with HSS, the flash does not sync with the multiple shots. It only fired 1 time.

Last edited:
The Nikon flash is powered by normal batteries without power pack. My two friends both using two different model of Nikon flash without problem with HSS multi burst. I guess it is the limitation of Metz.

For single shot with multi burst, Metz has no problem to recycle. But when I try fast shutter speed 1/1000 with HSS, the flash does not sync with the multiple shots. It only fired 1 time.

Looks like I will try out my Metz 58AF-1 over the weekend to see how it fairs

When we talk about continuous mode, it is like 5 fps, 6 fps? It is not possible for a flash to fully recycle during each shots because average recycling rate is 2 to 5 seconds depends on flash made, model and type of battery. It seems like your problem is nothing to do with flash recycling rate. More on how much stored flash power is used during each individual shot.

If i understand HSS correctly, more HSS flash power is needed at higher shutter speed. More flash power means less continuous shots during a single flash cycle.

Do you know more info on your friend's HSS multi burst shots? like xxx number of continuous shots @ xxx shutter speed?
May be they are shooting at much slower shutter speed than yours.

When we talk about continuous mode, it is like 5 fps, 6 fps? It is not possible for a flash to fully recycle during each shots because average recycling rate is 2 to 5 seconds depends on flash made, model and type of battery. It seems like your problem is nothing to do with flash recycling rate. More on how much stored flash power is used during each individual shot.

If i understand HSS correctly, more HSS flash power is needed at higher shutter speed. More flash power means less continuous shots during a single flash cycle.

Do you know more info on your friend's HSS multi burst shots? like xxx number of continuous shots @ xxx shutter speed?
May be they are shooting at much slower shutter speed than yours.
Yes, I am refer to 5fps. All our shutter speed are set to 1/1000. We are trying to shoot a strawberry dropping into a glass tank of water with splash effect. I will check with them next time when we meet which model of Nikon Flash.

Yes, I am refer to 5fps. All our shutter speed are set to 1/1000. We are trying to shoot a strawberry dropping into a glass tank of water with splash effect. I will check with them next time when we meet which model of Nikon Flash.

I normally use HSS as fill flash in normal daylight shorts but never in continuous mode. When i test this morning with 1/1000 shutter speed, My 3 year old Sigma 530 Super can only survive first three frames. No flash effect on the rest of the frames.
May be Nikon flash has more storage power.
I am testing with
- Kr with flash mounted on hot shoe
- ISO 200, shutter speed 1/1000
- flash mode Pttl with HSS on

Pentax is known to have pretty weak flash system, even those Metz flashes can't help much. There is no way we can match those super fast Nikon flashes which are like instant recharge after each shot.

If you want to capture water drops or strawberry dropping into water, you don't really need fast fps. Just practice more and try to snap the shots at the right time. Of course a fast fps w/ flash would help a lot, but not a must.

Thats mean I need more luck than the Nikon to capture the right moment. Haha....!!!

funkyjazz said:
Thats mean I need more luck than the Nikon to capture the right moment. Haha....!!!

Not luck bro....
You need more skill... ;)

felixcat8888 said:
You need to practice more as posuer and I have managed to capture water droplets with the Metz flash before, but the flash was off the camera.

Yes bro felixcat8888 is correct. basically we are shooting at around 1/180 only. external flash. time your shots. use manual focus n lock your focus on the spot where your items will drop. some ppl i know can even shoot with build in flash at 1/50 using kit lens.

I think water droplets is easier to capture than dropping an object into the water where the object is just at the water line. Nevertheless, I will practise more.....;) Thanks everyone for your replies. I am glad that my Metz is not defective but just the flash limitation.

I think water droplets is easier to capture than dropping an object into the water where the object is just at the water line. Nevertheless, I will practise more.....;) Thanks everyone for your replies. I am glad that my Metz is not defective but just the flash limitation.

Water droplets were dropping into water . . . and then the water would splash out and we captured the water that splashed out . . . Practice more . . .

Water droplets were dropping into water . . . and then the water would splash out and we captured the water that splashed out . . . Practice more . . .

Haha.....why not you try the strawberry and I try the water droplet? :bsmilie:

Absolutely no need to shoot at 1/1000s to freeze water using flash, since the flash duration is much shorter than 1/180 normal sync or 1/1000 HSS. In fact you are only spoiling your shot by forcing the flash to stay lit throughout the 1/1000s exposure when it will actually dump its flash burst in a shorter time if you keep to the normal sync speed.

Hss is really more suitable for when you are in a really bright area and need to use fill flash, or if you are trying to overpower the ambient light but don't want to stop down aperture or ISO.

It's also better to work on timing the shot than blasting away, one shot one kill, if fail just repeat the drop altogether?

Last edited: