can hood stand weight of camera + lens?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope I'm not mistaken about his query, but it seems to me he doesn't want to reverse the hood when placed in the bad, which i think is quite unusual?

you are right. he doesn't want to reverse the hood when the lens is placed in the bag. not really unusual.

a lot of pros do that and they leave the lens cap off. some even don't bother covering the rear elements and just cover the bag. this is to speed up changing of lens.

you are right. he doesn't want to reverse the hood when the lens is placed in the bag. not really unusual.

a lot of pros do that and they leave the lens cap off. some even don't bother covering the rear elements and just cover the bag. this is to speed up changing of lens.

Yes that is what I was thinking. Like after changing to lens B, I was thinking of putting lens A into the bag on it's hood. THing is, Canon hoods are ~$50 and not cheap, plus the hood is a petal kind, which is more fragile. Anyone broke his/her hood before?

Yes that is what I was thinking. Like after changing to lens B, I was thinking of putting lens A into the bag on it's hood. THing is, Canon hoods are ~$50 and not cheap, plus the hood is a petal kind, which is more fragile. Anyone broke his/her hood before?

Hoods are normally damaged at the contact point to the lens... the petal area is not so easily broken off

Hoods are normally damaged at the contact point to the lens... the petal area is not so easily broken off

Erm, that sounds like a big issue with a $1600 lens. But the filter AFAIK doesn't attach to the filter thread/front element. Would that make a difference?

Erm, that sounds like a big issue with a $1600 lens. But the filter AFAIK doesn't attach to the filter thread/front element. Would that make a difference?

Can you pls rephrase it again so I can understand what you need to know...

Can you pls rephrase it again so I can understand what you need to know...

Well you mentioned that the damage usually occurs to the point of contact between the hood and lens, which can potentially damage the lens. Since the hood attaches to the front element (?) and not the filter threads, do you feel that the risk of this happening is lessened?

Well you mentioned that the damage usually occurs to the point of contact between the hood and lens, which can potentially damage the lens. Since the hood attaches to the front element (?) and not the filter threads, do you feel that the risk of this happening is lessened?

Hoods don't attach to the front element, nor the filter threads, usually. They have their own mounting thread.

The hood actually connects to the lens via a outer rim (normally) Esp for those click lock type hoods. Those screw in type hoods will be at the filter threads and are not as easily broken off.

Look at the connection point above the white dot.

32893567-2-440-FT-2.jpg

That is the connection point of the snap on hood, and that is the point where I find the weakest. Tat portion will not affect the lens element.

The hood actually connects to the lens via a outer rim (normally) Esp for those click lock type hoods. Those screw in type hoods will be at the filter threads and are not as easily broken off.

Look at the connection point above the white dot.

32893567-2-440-FT-2.jpg

That is the connection point of the snap on hood, and that is the point where I find the weakest. Tat portion will not affect the lens element.

ok. thanks for the info!

your lens hood can take more impact that you think as it's designed to absorb the imapct when you hit the lens against a hard surface, so don't worry too much about it. i'm using a 1-series and i always rest the body+flash on the hood of the mounted 24-70 when taking a break from shooting, and it is still going strong after 6years of use.

the only time my lens hood got separated off from the lens (85 1.8) is when my camera dropped from the top of a piano. the setup hit the floor right on the hood. the hood took in all the impact and the lens/camera was not damaged in any way.

Don't worry the petal hood is not that fragile, just don't abuse it too much. My OEM hood for 17-55 f2.8 I attach normally and put in bag also no problem so far. If u buy original hood I think the toughness should be on par if not better.

While in normal situations, it may be ok. But if there is a sudden impact, the hood's contact point with the lens may break.

Actually happened to my fren b4, she dropped her camera bag but one of the longer ends of the petal hood absorbed the shock and snapped off. End up still can superglue back and use.

I hope I'm not mistaken about his query, but it seems to me he doesn't want to reverse the hood when placed in the bad, which i think is quite unusual?

Immidiately take out of bag and shoot, instead of having to adjust hood. Yupyup

Actually happened to my fren b4, she dropped her camera bag but one of the longer ends of the petal hood absorbed the shock and snapped off. End up still can superglue back and use.

This should have been an angular impact where only 1 petal took the impact. If straight down drop even contact happened, the weaker point should be the contact area with the lens.

Status
Not open for further replies.