Camera for sunrise video

Jonny Snap

Jul 14, 2019
Hello!

Beginner here and I'm looking to purchase my first camera for both video & photo documenting. One of the upcoming film scenes I really want to capture is a sunrise on Mount Batur, and of course there are moving subjects that I'd like to also focus on.

My current findings led me to hover between Sony a6400 and Cannon M50 for their fast auto focus and face tracking.

Some questions for the experts are:
  1. I'm leaning more towards Sony a6400, what do you think? Or would you recommend another brand/model that I've not mentioned

2. I'm really lost the the lenses. I'm thinking of a wide angle lens and a general purpose lens since most of the shots & videos would a landscape scenes and general portraits. What kind of lens would I need?

3. I'm still not really sure what speed boosters are yet, but would I need one?
I'm still finding my directions so please pardon my newb questions, many thanks in advance :)

1. I don't do much video, but have read that most cameras do video quite well nowadays. Generally both Sony and Canon have more video centric features, however other brands are also fast catching up. If you have specific requirements, do share so that video pros here can better direct you.

2. Lenses wise, both Sony and Canon have their kit lenses which are satisfactory. Both also have their ultra-wide angle covered with Sony 10-18mm and Canon 11-22mm lenses. Can use the kit lenses for portraits as a start, or get a budget roughly 50mm prime lens for that, Sony has their 50mm f1.8, while Canon don't have a native mount one, can get an adapter and consider the EF 50mm f1.8 STM

3. Speed boosters are adapters for full frame lenses for the smaller sensors on APSC sized sensors on Sony A6400 / Canon M50. They contain optics to concentrate the projected image such that the angle of view is nearer to that of the full frame lens on full frame sensors. You probably should start with the lenses you have first, before getting these if there are no equivalent native lenses and have to adapt.

Both the a6400 and M50 offers great value for money. The deciding factor boils down to which eco-system you would like to invest into.
For sunrises, I will lean more towards the a6400 on account of its better low-light performance and unlimited video recording.
The 10-18mm E mount will be deriguer for landscape. For portrait on a budget, consider manual focus lenses such as the Kamlan 55mm f1.1 or the pancake 7Artisan 35mm f1.2. Although it is such a waste of the incredible autofocusing chops of the a6400.
As for focal reducers, you will have to weigh the advantages and the drawbacks.

Advantages:
1. Access to cheap vintage MF lenses including fast zooms such as Tokina AT-X 35-70mm f2.8
2. FOV/DOF close to full-frame
3. 2 stop boost in aperture
Disadvantage:
1.more prone to lens flares. CA, coma
2. no AF
3. may not be able to focus to infinity for some lenses.
4. tend to reduce/remove the parfocal performance on most zooms.

1. Either the Sony or Canon is great (as are all the major brands). Did your research include getting a hands-on feel of your 2 choices? You might find you prefer the handling and menus of one over the other.

2. Unless you have an urgent, specific need, just start with the kit zoom -- this humble lens can handle most of your needs. Burn money later, as you get to understand your needs better. (if there's a great deal on a bundle with a lens you might like, you might want to consider that)

3. Speedboosters? Yeah, you don't need any. thoongeng explained what they are, you can research more online. I've been into mirrorless for 5 years (micro 4/3) and still don't have one (though I have old Zeiss lenses from my film days). Don't bother for now.

Thanks guys, I really wasn't expecting any replies.

Along the way, I took a long and hard look at Fujifilm XT-30 for its advantage in colour science as well, unfortunately I read it has only 15mins of recording time on 4K.

After a long and hard consideration (80% of the time spent at staring at my account balance), I've decided to invest in a GoPro Hero 7 Black for the time being. I took a look at its quality here on youtube and thought it's still pretty decent. Its HyperSmooth feature could also be a really helpful during my climb. I might also get some ND and polariser lenses from Lazada.

Actually if anyone has tried it's GoPro Hero 7 Black, perhaps you can share your thoughts on its low light performance (darker than the youtube clip's scene) and its HyperSmooth feature.