cheers

sorry but you're just being insensitive and uncompassionate

give yourself a good knock on your head

and think about what it's like to lose your loved ones

end of my post

get on with life

cheerio :)

di0nysus said:
:cry: Borught mocha(my cat) to a vet this morning, took blood, seems to have very bad kidneys, advised to consider putting her down. mocha doesn't look well for quite sometime, but she eats/drinks fine. realised she drinks more than my other cat, so chance that she had renal conditions sometime back. she doesn't want to eat for past 2 days, and is stoning, hence brought her to clinic today.

i'm not sure if 2nd opinion is worth it, please recomend any Vet in sg which may be of help.

:cry:
Jon

sorry to hear about this... i think it's best that you're mentally prepared. i know it's hard to put her down.. but she's suffering alot ..though she's alive..

take care alright :)

thanks guys...stop flaming user1111, dun want this to turn into a flame thread. i'm accepting that different pple have different views, my dad is like that too. At least I've my mom,maid, gf, and other cat and you guys on my side.

will bring mocha to another vet this afternoon, if no solution, probably bring her home for the night and prepare for the worst. :cry:

di0nysus said:
will bring mocha to another vet this afternoon, if no solution, probably bring her home for the night and prepare for the worst. :cry:

Keep us updated :)

We'll keep Mocha in our prayers.

Sometimes a second (or even third) opinion helps.

My Bruno had 3 separate opinions at the same hospital/clinic before we decided to operate.

Artosoft said:
Three thumbs down for you!

Regards,
Arto.
:thumbsd: :thumbsd: :thumbsd: :thumbsd: :thumbsd:
make that five
dude(threadstarter) really sorry for your cat.happy spending time with it

Do what you and your family think is best to the welfare of your cat. I have cats and they are part of my life and family too. Only a cat lover will know how important they are to our lives.

If I were you, I'll get a second opinion also. I've heard that Animal Recovery Centre is good (Sunset and Balestier). I go to Companion Animal Surgery at Balestier also. Dr Edmund there is good with cats.

Whatever decision you take, I think your cat will trust your ultimate judgement. I would put her to sleep if I think she is really suffering and her quality of life has dropped tremendously. I would not want her to suffer any longer. You may have another opinion but I think you will make the best decision for her.

This is an useful resource for cat owners whose cats have chronic renal failure. http://www.felinecrf.com/ Hope it will help you in some ways.

user111 said:
sorry
but

its just a cat

either get a new one

or

give it a good burial

end of story

get on with life

cheers

You ought to be shot, British Railway style, 5 shots in the head:thumbsd:

Gymrat76 said:
Yup, elevated creatinine and BUN levels clearly point to kidney failure. The best thing you can do for her (short of a transplant) is to have her put down. Sorry for the bad news :(

Yes dioNysus, Gumrat has given very wise and good advise.

The animal cannot relate to you how much it is suffering or the pain it is going through.

Be wise and put her down, and quickly. Prolonging mocha suffering will bring your regrets and maybe flashback later - when you realise what she is going through right now.

tOGGY said:
Yes dioNysus, Gumrat has given very wise and good advise.

The animal cannot relate to you how much it is suffering or the pain it is going through.

Be wise and put her down, and quickly. Prolonging mocha suffering will bring your regrets and maybe flashback later - when you realise what she is going through right now.

Feline CRF (chronic renal failure), though not a treatable illness, does not mean that the feline will suffer immediately and die from pain now. Many cat owners have battled the illness successfully together with their cats for more than a year before the quality of life for the cat deteriorated. With dedication and love, the feline's life can still be extended without much pain and discomfort. This has been documented by cat owners overseas in the link I had provided in post #26.

IMHO, sometimes I find some vets in Singapore giving just a cursory glance to the animal's condition. It's like "why not just put it to sleep". I don't doubt their professionalism and ethics but perhaps it is just our local mentality that let's do everything efficiently and chop chop. Don't waste time.

To the threadstarter, let's give Mocha another chance. Seek a second opinion, a good one. If it's a family member who is suffering from a similar kind of chronic illness, I'm sure all will definitely say "let's get a second opinion" too. Take the long weekend to read up and make a more informed decision. Best wishes.

kiat said:
Feline CRF (chronic renal failure), though not a treatable illness, does not mean that the feline will suffer immediately and die from pain now. Many cat owners have battled the illness successfully together with their cats for more than a year before the quality of life for the cat deteriorated. With dedication and love, the feline's life can still be extended without much pain and discomfort. This has been documented by cat owners overseas in the link I had provided in post #26.

IMHO, sometimes I find some vets in Singapore giving just a cursory glance to the animal's condition. It's like "why not just put it to sleep". I don't doubt their professionalism and ethics but perhaps it is just our local mentality that let's do everything efficiently and chop chop. Don't waste time.

To the threadstarter, let's give Mocha another chance. Seek a second opinion, a good one. If it's a family member who is suffering from a similar kind of chronic illness, I'm sure all will definitely say "let's get a second opinion" too. Take the long weekend to read up and make a more informed decision. Best wishes.

hi kiat,
i agree with you. if the animal can still live with reasonable quality of life, with loads of TLC from owner, it ought to be given a 2nd chance in life. i've seen animals PTS for the dumbest reasons.

of course, we dont know how bad mocha's condition truly is.
and my heart goes out to the threadstarter and mocha.
hope pray for a miracle.. :(

kiat said:

Yes, do go ahead and have the informed decision and second opinion - quickly. I have seen many pet owners unable to let go and eventually the pet die in thier hands - after a few months of intensed suffering. Most human rely speech to understand suffering. The cat in this case cannot really tell us. Looking at the first post and subsequent posts, the description is not good.

Be kind to the animal. Putting them down is often more kind than what was managed. I wish you all the best in this difficult moment.

Meanwhile, took more picture of the cat. Maybe can post for us to see see oso...

Dear all,

Mocha was relieved of suffering as of 8.25pm. My gf n I took her from one clinic to another in the afternoon for 2nd opinion. There were few solutions. I brought her home, thinking she to let her stay the night, or get her back to the hospital to put her back on drops. But she didn't even have the strength to walk out of her cage, I carried her out, bring her to few corners of the house she likes to hang around, stroke her, talk to her, and I knew I had to let her go as soon as I made peace with myself. She was really suffering, cldn't stand up properly, wobbles a bit when she tries to walk, really pains me :cry: She dosen't want to eat etc. Hence the decision to spent the rest of the day with her and bring her to the vet for the final time in the evening.

Atttached are some pictures. First one obviously taken today.
image001.jpg

Took her in as a stray sometime in december 2000. I thought she was ~3yrs old. so that makes her 8, another vet suspected that she's 12.

image002.jpg

Taken in 2003.

image003.jpg

Mocha is survived by Tommy (her son, asiamese cross)and Junior/Gigi(her grandchildren, tommy's son) This is one of my fav pictures, during time when I had a 1.3megapix camera.

Thanks all for lending a listening ear. Thanks Kiat for the links, I done my homework and I feel I've made the decision that's best for Mocha.

Shall close this thread in a few days.

Very sorry to hear about you loss. I've been though the same expereince and all I can say is to hold on to the good times you've spent with her and not to dwell on the last few days itself. Wherever she is now she is at peace and i'm sure she is happy for the good life you have given her.

It is difficult to lose a pet especially that has been with you for many years.

It must be a very difficult decision to make to put her to sleep and it will take some time to let go of the memories. Been there done that.

Stay strong bro.:thumbsup:

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.
They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

http://www.petloss.com/poems/maingrp/rainbowb.htm

:cry: :cry:
sorry to hear that... stay strong friend.... your cat will continue to live on in your heart

I feel for you, having been through it several times ... and having assisted in many euthanesias.

Don't be afraid to feel sad, or to cry, for that is part of greiving. Going through the pain is the only way to get over it ... and to find reconciliation and celebrate Mocha's life with a beautiful owner that obviously loved and cared for him a lot.

I'm sure you may have done some searching, but here are some links that might be helpful on a practical level:

http://www.journeyofhearts.org/jofh/kirstimd/pettips.htm

http://petvets.com/petloss/

http://www.homevet.com/bonding/loss.html

If there's anything I can do for you, just PM me.

Thanks all with kind words and links. I've at ease with mocha now. Shed a bucket of tears since yesterday, but haven't done so moments after her tiny heart stops beating at 8.25pm.

I went from not wanting to face the truth to not wanting to have the 'power to stop her life' to not wanting to witness the euthanesia, to facing them all admid the tears. The next few days/weeks will be testing, as she won't be around her usual places, and I'll have to get used to that.

An interesting note is that her son, Tommy, was home with my mom when I was with the vet for the final time. And at 8.25pm, my mom noticed Tommy was meowing in a strange/frantic manner, and I think he knew her mommy has passed on.

It's my first in dealing with loss of a very close loved one and am deeply appreciative to you guys.

Thanks all again!

Status
Not open for further replies.