Buying my first camera system

Status
Not open for further replies.
i got my 500D kit on sunday! thanks to all for the input and help.. i spent a bit on a dry cab, lowepro bag n memory card already :D i've been reading up on tripods, n i'd like to get a bit of advice on buying one - not making the purchase right now, but i'd like to have an idea now so that i can grab one if i get a good deal!

ive been looking at two brands that seem to be popular - manfrotto and gitzo. gitzo seems (by checking out the price guide thread) to be too expensive - all over 500-600 SGD..
im willing to spend more than for a very basic one, coz i dont like to buy and then upgrade again.. maybe for around 300-400 SGD..

based on the price guides and the manfrotto website, the manfrotto 055CX3 caught my eye.. the price for that says around SDG380.. its light and strong, by the looks of the specs..
i also saw the 055XProB, for around SGD220 - a lot cheaper.. is the difference in weight and sturdiness great? will i be much better off with the CX3? is there anything similar that i can look at as an alternative?

also, i need to separately purchase a head for both these models, right?
thanks for reading!

EDIT: oops, the 055XProB is around SGD220 according to the price guides, not 180 - corrected

Last edited:
i got my 500D kit on sunday! thanks to all for the input and help.. i spent a bit on a dry cab, lowepro bag n memory card already :D i've been reading up on tripods, n i'd like to get a bit of advice on buying one - not making the purchase right now, but i'd like to have an idea now so that i can grab one if i get a good deal!

ive been looking at two brands that seem to be popular - manfrotto and gitzo. gitzo seems (by checking out the price guide thread) to be too expensive - all over 500-600 SGD..
im willing to spend more than for a very basic one, coz i dont like to buy and then upgrade again.. maybe for around 300-400 SGD..

based on the price guides and the manfrotto website, the manfrotto 055CX3 caught my eye.. the price for that says around SDG380.. its light and strong, by the looks of the specs..
i also saw the 055XProB, for around SGD180 - a lot cheaper.. is the difference in weight and sturdiness great? will i be much better off with the CX3? is there anything similar that i can look at as an alternative?

thanks for reading!

I was looking at the 055xprob also. But decided against it as it was too heavy. Don't forget, manfrotto tripods are just the tripod legs only. The price do not include a head for you to fix your camera on. A head will run you another 100-300. Also prices have gone up quite a bit recently. There was a price hike earlier this year so the price guides may not be totally accurate.

Go for the 190xprob + 486rc2 or 488rc2 head.

190xprob +488rc2 new will cost you around 375 total. I got mine used.

Last edited:
I use Benro! :)
Cheap(er) and works well for me so far.
Quite a number of people don't seem to trust this brand, but to me it has worked well thus far (about 1 year +). It's up to you la! :)

I was looking at the 055xprob also. But decided against it as it was too heavy. Don't forget, manfrotto tripods are just the tripod legs only. The price do not include a head for you to fix your camera on. A head will run you another 100-300. Also prices have gone up quite a bit recently. There was a price hike earlier this year so the price guides may not be totally accurate.

Go for the 190xprob + 486rc2 or 488rc2 head.

190xprob +488rc2 new will cost you around 375 total. I got mine used.

thanks.. i will check out the prices later.. but i dont think i'll be buying this very soon

btw, i tried the Exif viewer to get my shutter count, but i couldnt find it.. i searched, n it seems that canon cameras dont record exif data for shutter count..

is there any other way i can check this? i tried that utility called EOSInfo, but that gives an error when i open it, and doesnt detect my camera :confused: im very happy with this cam, but i'd like to confirm the shutter count!

i also saw the 055XProB, for around SGD220 - a lot cheaper.. is the difference in weight and sturdiness great? will i be much better off with the CX3? is there anything similar that i can look at as an alternative?

thanks for reading!

EDIT: oops, the 055XProB is around SGD220 according to the price guides, not 180 - corrected

I'd say don't let the BBB virus get to you too much. I'm a novice too, still have much learning to do, and at first i also wanted to spend a few hundreds on a tripod. budden found out that i don't need to use the tripod on most occasions, thus went for lenses instead.

Since you just recently got your camera, i'd say go shoot with it and get a 50mm or 35mm prime first before deciding on your next step.

yup, thanks for the advice :) like i said, i wont be buying the tripod very soon.. ur right about buying another lens, that'd definitely help me out more right now.. but again, im trying to gain some knowledge on tripods and wat i would need in one before.. :)

this is my first post here as well. must thank everyone for the contribution and it really helped newbies like me. I am also deciding between 500D and D90... : )

Status
Not open for further replies.