Buying my first camera system

Status
Not open for further replies.
oh yeah, i see.. i read up that article.. im also reading the review of the UV filter, which also gives a great intro into why its needed.. i like learning this stuff, i wanna know the science of photography as well, not just take pics n auto mode :D

thanks again for the tips.. i'll be going for the 500D kit.. shame i have to wait til mid sept (cant afford it yet) coz alan photo quoted *EDIT* SGD1180 (cash) for this week.. for the kit.. i though thats a good price.. i hope i can get a similar price when im ready to purchase! :)

EDIT: its 1180 at alan photo, sorry..

Last edited:
oh yeah, i see.. i read up that article.. im also reading the review of the UV filter, which also gives a great intro into why its needed.. i like learning this stuff, i wanna know the science of photography as well, not just take pics n auto mode :D

thanks again for the tips.. i'll be going for the 500D kit.. shame i have to wait til mid sept (cant afford it yet) coz alan photo quoted *EDIT* SGD1180 (cash) for this week.. for the kit.. i though thats a good price.. i hope i can get a similar price when im ready to purchase! :)

You're welcome.

And don't worry about the price. It shouldn't change too much. And if it does, it is probably going down. There is a COMEX show in Sept. You can buy then and get some discounts or more freebies. Perfect timing.

do you have a existing canon camera, if you have can participate in the buy back program, I think its about 958.

haha, more questions on filters :D
i notice that the filters come in 72mm, 77mm etc etc.. is this based on the size of my lens? if so, wat is the basic size of a canon lens? or wat is like the 'standard' size for a filter, if there is a standard size?

also, i noticed filter holders, filter systems etc.. daredevil, i think u too mentioned this.. wat is a filter system or holder, and wat does it do? do i need one of these as well as the filter itself?
thanks again!

haha, more questions on filters :D
i notice that the filters come in 72mm, 77mm etc etc.. is this based on the size of my lens? if so, wat is the basic size of a canon lens? or wat is like the 'standard' size for a filter, if there is a standard size?

also, i noticed filter holders, filter systems etc.. daredevil, i think u too mentioned this.. wat is a filter system or holder, and wat does it do? do i need one of these as well as the filter itself?
thanks again!

Filter thread depends on the diameter of the lens. There is no standard size. Usually professional lenses mostly have 77mm filter thread. Maybe that's what it means.

The kit lens if it is Canon EF-S 18-55 IS, the filter thread will be 58mm. You can see more of the lens here: http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos/181-canon-ef-s-18-55mm-f35-56-is-test-report--review

A Cokin P or A system is a frame that you can attach to the lens. The frame will allow you to use filters that are rectangular pieces that you slot in and out. This filter system is more or less compatible with various filter threads, so one set of filters can work with many filter threads. All you need to do is to buy the adapter ring for each filter thread size you own. This system is most commonly used by landscape photographers, as this system is quite bulky and takes time to set up. You can see how it works here: http://www.cokin.com/ico15-A.html

And, a Cokin P system is a lot cheaper, compared to buying all the same filters again for different lenses with different filter thread size. And of course, for every successful product, there is always a cheap asian copy. The Cokin copy that is widely available here is made by the China brand Tianya. I have not used it before, but people tell me it is not bad, but some of the filters shading have some problems. Still people are using them to make great pictures. Cokin P system is not that expensive to begin with, the holder cost less than $20, the adapter ring around $12-15, rectangular filters costs $20-40 a piece. The most expensive is the C-PL filter for the system, which costs me 70+ when I bought it. Tianya is around 20-40% cheaper.

In the beginning if you have the kit and get maybe the EF-S 55-250 IS lens, both are beginner lenses which are good. Both of them have the same filter thread of 58mm. So you can basically share filters. So your C-PL or ND filters can be shared. You probably want separate UV filters on each for protection. So in the beginning, you do not need to get a filter holder system. Only get something when you have taken enough photos and know you need something else. Don't just buy because you heard of it and people say it is cool.

Last edited:
thanks for all the response, everyone! ha, yeah.. i told u its better to ask u guys than ask amateurs.. i knew nikon couldnt have a flaw like that.. maybe i'll check out a couple of nikons too then..

my budget is around 1000 to max 1200.. i think i can manage to even get a canon 500D kit for 1200 so maybe i'll go for that.. ive checked a lot of reviews on the 500D and that seems to suit my purpose really.. but i just thought i'd ask about the 50D; but yeah, i gotta admit its out of my budget right now.. especially with additional stuff u mentioned i should buy..
i didnt even think of a dry cabinet... haha.. how much do those go for?

about the lens, i think i'll go for the kit lens, im im buying the 500D (looks like it)

thanks again

EDIT: if im looking at a nikon (just for comparison), which model would be closest to the canon 500D? i think its the D5000, but i read reviews and comparisons with the 500D and it looks like the canon is better.. i should check out the D90, maybe? although i think thats more expensive

If you have read reviews, I find it hard to believe that they come across as giving 500D the better rating. I have read most reviews on 500D V D5000, most of them would recommend D5000....but again this is really not so important.

I suggest you go to DPreview and read the full reviews, I find the conclusion part where the site list out all the pros and cons quite helpful, you can decide which pros you really wanted , and which cons you can live with.

I know, there will be people who say DPreview is biased, but again, which opinion is not?

oh great, i'll definitely make note of the COMEX show..
and nope, dont own an old canon camera

i'm usually quite skeptical of camera prices at shows like PC Show, IT Show, Comex, etc.
A lot of the time, the Nikon/Canon booths are run by one of the retail giants like Harvey Norman, Courts, Carrefour, etc.
As such, the prices tend to be close to RRP, and they throw in a lot of 'freebies' to entice buyers.

If the street price of Camera A is $1300 with basic bundle, and at Comex, it's $1300 + more goodies, then by all means buy it at Comex. But if it's $1599 with the 'free' goodies, stop first and ask yourself (or ask ppl at Clubsnap) if the goodies are worth it.
Just for your info, the 'expensive' tripod and filter etc., if they are included in the bundle, aren't worth as much as they claim.

If you have read reviews, I find it hard to believe that they come across as giving 500D the better rating. I have read most reviews on 500D V D5000, most of them would recommend D5000....but again this is really not so important.

I suggest you go to DPreview and read the full reviews, I find the conclusion part where the site list out all the pros and cons quite helpful, you can decide which pros you really wanted , and which cons you can live with.

I know, there will be people who say DPreview is biased, but again, which opinion is not?

DPreview is still fairly complicated for a total newbie. I can empathize with him ;)
Even when I was reading lens reviews recently, it still took me some time (and many re-reads) to digest the information properly.
Since TS has mentioned he'll be going for the Canon 500D, I guess any further discussion is moot.

DPreview is still fairly complicated for a total newbie. I can empathize with him ;)
Even when I was reading lens reviews recently, it still took me some time (and many re-reads) to digest the information properly.
Since TS has mentioned he'll be going for the Canon 500D, I guess any further discussion is moot.
DPReview is a very good and comprehensive site, but it gets a little technical for me sometimes. Still, it's my go-to place for anything photography related (mainly camera and lens reviews).

DPReview is a very good and comprehensive site, but it gets a little technical for me sometimes. Still, it's my go-to place for anything photography related (mainly camera and lens reviews).

I usually just read the front introductory writeup and then go straight to the conclusion page :bsmilie: :thumbsup:

I usually just read the front introductory writeup and then go straight to the conclusion page :bsmilie: :thumbsup:
Heh, I usually read the introduction, the specs part and skip to the pictures :p

1. most dslrs today are decent and can produce good pictures.

2. if you want to. there are more features on the 50d as well, i find xxd cameras better to handle than xxxd cameras. but that's personal choice. but that said, you can start off with xxxd.

3. no. just that entry level nikon camera (dxxxx and d40, d40x, d60) do not have built in af motor.. so that you have to purchase lenses with built-in motor. you need to make sure the information you get is accurate. a lot of people do not know what they are talking about most times.

4. if you want something in the kit range, which is very useful, 17-50 f/2.8 from tamron is very decent and sharp. especially considering the value you are getting for that price.

4. if you want something in the kit range, which is very useful, 17-50 f/2.8 from tamron is very decent and sharp. especially considering the value you are getting for that price.

Just a stupid question, if you said 17-50 f/2.8 lens, is it mean that the aperture still can remain at f/2.8 with maximum zoom (50mm)?

another word, kit lens with 18-55 f/3.5-5.6, at 55mm, max aperture is f5.6?

Just a stupid question, if you said 17-50 f/2.8 lens, is it mean that the aperture still can remain at f/2.8 with maximum zoom (50mm)?

another word, kit lens with 18-55 f/3.5-5.6, at 55mm, max aperture is f5.6?

yes, that is right.

there are gradual transitions in between for the 18-55 kit lenses..

for example (not necessarily true cos i haven't checked).. at 30mm.. the kit lens might have maximum large aperture being f/4.0 or something.

17-50 f/2.8 (i.e. only one aperture number given) means that the max aperture remains constant throughout the entire focal length that the lens can give you. such lenses are called constant aperture lenses.

Since TS has mentioned he'll be going for the Canon 500D said:
Ha, I agree with you , this is where the science of the heart comes in. When I bought my DSLR a couple of months ago, all the different brands were overwhelming, but deep down inside, I knew I wanted a Nikon......so went out and got my self a D5000.....no regrets.

yes, that is right.

there are gradual transitions in between for the 18-55 kit lenses..

for example (not necessarily true cos i haven't checked).. at 30mm.. the kit lens might have maximum large aperture being f/4.0 or something.

17-50 f/2.8 (i.e. only one aperture number given) means that the max aperture remains constant throughout the entire focal length that the lens can give you. such lenses are called constant aperture lenses.

Yes, but to make it even more confusing to newbies, on a lens with constant aperture of say f/2.8, when you zoom from short focal length to long focal length, the actual diameter of the aperture in mm actually becomes bigger.

Remember the actual diameter of an aperture in mm = focal length * aperture value.

so, for a Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 lens,
actual max aperture size at 17mm, f/2.8 = 17 * (1/2.8) = 6.07mm
actual max aperture size at 50mm, f/2.8 = 50 * (1/2.8) = 17.86mm

for Nikon 18-55 f/3.5-5.6
actual max aperture size at 18mm, f/3.5 = 18 * (1/3.5) = 5.14mm
actual max aperture size at 55mm, f/5.6 = 55 * (1/5.6) = 9.82mm

So when you zoom from 17mm to 50mm, keeping aperture at f/2.8, the aperture diameter actually increases from 6mm to almost 18mm (big increase). That is why constant aperture lenses are so much more expensive to make.

thanks for all the info, guys..
yeah DP review got quite confusing, i tried reading thru it all, but the intro and conclusion, pros/cons parts were the most helpful.. and yeah, ive pretty much decided on the camera im buying.. now im just asking stuff about filters etc.. thanks for the info on the filter system.. i guess i dont need one right now :D and the aperture talk is getting a bit confusing.. i'll try undrestanding it though :D
EDIT: and talking about reviews, wat are the other reputed sites that i can go thru for reviews, such as DP?

Yes, but to make it even more confusing to newbies, on a lens with constant aperture of say f/2.8, when you zoom from short focal length to long focal length, the actual diameter of the aperture in mm actually becomes bigger.

Remember the actual diameter of an aperture in mm = focal length * aperture value.

so, for a Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 lens,
actual max aperture size at 17mm, f/2.8 = 17 * (1/2.8) = 6.07mm
actual max aperture size at 50mm, f/2.8 = 50 * (1/2.8) = 17.86mm

for Nikon 18-55 f/3.5-5.6
actual max aperture size at 18mm, f/3.5 = 18 * (1/3.5) = 5.14mm
actual max aperture size at 55mm, f/5.6 = 55 * (1/5.6) = 9.82mm

So when you zoom from 17mm to 50mm, keeping aperture at f/2.8, the aperture diameter actually increases from 6mm to almost 18mm (big increase). That is why constant aperture lenses are so much more expensive to make.

good explanation!:thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.