Budget travel in Japan - tips and info thread

Hi Bro

This is another option as well...thanks for the suggestion. I heard nikko is wonderful...might drop osaka, but very tempted to visit kyoto..even if say 1 day isnt enough, i also would like to go see how it is...and in my future trips can make plans for the place to cover the balance area.

ya 1 day probably isnt enough for kyoto
there're so many nice places in kyoto
Osaka they have the umeda sky building offering a 360 panoramic view from the top
its very beautiful at night and freezing too because of the strong winds

I had booked my flight to Japan next Apr for 18days. Below are my itinerary. Need some suggestions/recommendation or advise. Planning to spend about $2500(accomodation/transport/food/entrance fees) there.

6th Apr-8th Apr : Hakone & Mt Fuji-2Nights
8th Apr-11th Apr : Nagoya-3Nights
11th Apr-14th Apr: Kyoto-3Nights
14th Apr-15th Apr: Gifu-1Night
15th Apr-16th Apr: Takayama-1Night
16th Apr-17th Apr: Shirawakawa-go-1Night
17th Apr-18th Apr: Murodo @ Toyama-1Night
18th Apr-22th Apr: Matsumoto & Tokyo-4Nights

I am going with 1 friend on backpack, mostly for photography purpose. Will be attending tejikara fire festival and takayama festival. We don't really shop and not really interested in tokyo and we are fast walkers. Hope my schedule is not very tight. :bsmilie:

DarkImperial said:
I had booked my flight to Japan next Apr for 18days. Below are my itinerary. Need some suggestions/recommendation or advise. Planning to spend about $2500(accomodation/transport/food/entrance fees) there.

I am going with 1 friend on backpack, mostly for photography purpose. Will be attending tejikara fire festival and takayama festival. We don't really shop and not really interested in tokyo and we are fast walkers. Hope my schedule is not very tight. :bsmilie:

Hmm... Did u factor in traveling time? Looks pretty tight to me..

Looks like a typical 'refugee' style vacation...
If that is what you want, then it's ok. If you want to do more than "see and run" then you will need more time to immerse yourself in Japanese culture, interact and have more than just photos to remind you of the trip.

Cheers.

Haha, I had done that in china. Anyway I will try to spend more time on the culture too. :)

Looks like a typical 'refugee' style vacation...
If that is what you want, then it's ok. If you want to do more than "see and run" then you will need more time to immerse yourself in Japanese culture, interact and have more than just photos to remind you of the trip.

Cheers.

I stayed 2 nites at Hakone during my trip to Japan in Mar 2011. The thought of soaking in onsens and kaiseki dinners is enough to make me.. wow... drooled! :bsmilie:

Personally I think spending 3 nights at Nagoya is abit too much. You might want to try adding Kanazawa to your list since you are already visiting Gifu/Takayama/Shirakawa-go?

If you want to take pics of the empty streets of old town in Takayama without lots of other tourists, try going on the morning of your 2nd day there before 10am (because that's when the 1st train arrives at Takayama from Nagoya).
-see some of my Takayama pics on my Japan post: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/thre...hima-Osaka-Takayama-Kyoto)?highlight=Takayama

You staying 1 night at Shirakawa-go itself?

Personally I think spending 3 nights at Nagoya is abit too much. You might want to try adding Kanazawa to your list since you are already visiting Gifu/Takayama/Shirakawa-go?

If you want to take pics of the empty streets of old town in Takayama without lots of other tourists, try going on the morning of your 2nd day there before 10am (because that's when the 1st train arrives at Takayama from Nagoya).
-see some of my Takayama pics on my Japan post: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/thre...hima-Osaka-Takayama-Kyoto)?highlight=Takayama

You staying 1 night at Shirakawa-go itself?

Yes, I staying 1 night at shirakawa-go before heading to toyama alpine route. I stay 3 nights at nagoya so that I can go for 1 day trip to Inuyama and kiso valley.

You can also visit Toyota factory near Nagoya!
No cameras inside though.
I was going to go there on my trip to Shirakawago Inuyama Gifu etc, but last minute cancelled my trip because weather wasn't looking very good :(

Need help here for people who's gone to Japan before. Tokyo/Kyoto/Hokkaido? Planning for a two-week journey with my best friend. :)

hey guys. my wife and I are traveling to japan during xmas and new year period. heard it's a peak season on new year time in Japan and alot of places will be close. anything I should take note?
below is my itinerary.

day 01 arrived in Nagoya in the morning travel to shirakawago.
day 02 Ainokura village
day 03 04 Kanazawa
day 05 - 07 Kyoto
day 08 09 Osaka
day 10 11 Nagoya.

is this itinerary too tight? any place shouldn't be miss?

hey guys. my wife and I are traveling to japan during xmas and new year period. heard it's a peak season on new year time in Japan and alot of places will be close. anything I should take note?
below is my itinerary.

day 01 arrived in Nagoya in the morning travel to shirakawago.
day 02 Ainokura village
day 03 04 Kanazawa
day 05 - 07 Kyoto
day 08 09 Osaka
day 10 11 Nagoya.

is this itinerary too tight? any place shouldn't be miss?

Out of the places you have listed, I've been to Kanazawa, Shirakawa-go, Kyoto, Osaka & Nagoya (just near the station area).

Kanazawa: I feel that Kanazawa stay 1 night should be enough. Get the 1day Loop bus (500yen i think) for you to visit the tourist attractions in the town.

Nagoya: I only spent 2hrs at Nagoya to stopover for lunch in-between my train journey from Takayama to Kyoto. Me and hubby love to eat King crabs whenever we can when we go Japan and (http://www.kani-honke.co.jp/) is our fav brand. They have a branch at Nagoya that's within 7mins walking distance from the train station. You might want to give it a try. I love their crab porridge (kani-zushi or something like that I think) and crab croquette.
See pics of our crab meal on my travel blog: Go Away, Sam...: Japan (Jul11) Day 7: Takayama to Kyoto via Nagoya

Kyoto: Go Kiyomizu-dera, Gion, Arashiyama (bamboo groves & scenic train), Fushimi Inari Shrine...wear comfy shoes. You'll need them :) Also there's 1 entire floor selling ramen & another floor with restaurants at the top 2 level of Isetan at Kyoto train station. There's also some food stalls at its basement.

Osaka: If you have extra time in Osaka, you might want to give Nara a visit in the morning-afternoon. Also I like to visit Tokyu Hands (a dept store) whenever I go Japan. They have branches at Osaka too, 1 at Osaka station itself which is on 9-11floor of Daimaru I think. Go online to check from their website before you fly. If you like donuts, try Krispy Kreme donut (there's a outlet at the basement of "Lucua" dept store at Osaka station).

Have you considered going Takayama? Personally I prefer Takayama over Kanazawa. Easy to take the 50mins bus ride from Takayama train station to Shirakawa-go as well. And Takayama is just a 2hr direct train (Ltd Exp Wide View Hida) from Nagoya to Takayama.

If you are getting JR pass and travelling by trains, it's best that you do your train reservations once you arrive at Japan. Because it's a super peak period over there (cuz the Japanese will also be travelling around during this time of the year) so reserve your tix as soon as you can for the rest of your trip.

-----
my travel blog: Go Away, Sam...

Last edited:
Need help here for people who's gone to Japan before. Tokyo/Kyoto/Hokkaido? Planning for a two-week journey with my best friend. :)

What sort of help you need? Resources for online booking? Planning of Itinerary? Sightseeing list?

I am currently planning my 4th Japan trip, you can go to my travel blog to look at my itinerary & pics. I've posted some website links which helped in my own planning as well.

Get a 4day JR West Rail Pass-Kansai area (6,000yen) + 5day JR Hokkaido Pass (19,500yen)

Day1:Singapore to Osaka Kansai Airport, take train to Kyoto. -stay at Kyoto *Kansai Pass day 1
Day2:Kyoto *Kansai Pass day 2
Day3:Kyoto to Osaka *Kansai Pass day 3
Day4:Osaka (day trip to Nara) *Kansai pass day 4
Day5: Osaka Kansai Airport to Hakodate airport (via Domestic Flight)
Day6: Hakodate
Day7: Hakodate to Noboribetsu *Hokkaido Pass day 1
Day8: Noboribetsu to Sapporo *Hokkaido Pass day 2
Day9: Sapporo to Asahikawa or Furano or Tomamu (depends on which season you will be going) *Hokkaido Pass day 3
Day10: Head back to Sapporo *Hokkaido Pass day 4
Day11: Day trip to Otaru *Hokkaido Pass day 5
Day12: New Chitose Airport to Tokyo (via Domestic flight)
Day13: Tokyo
Day14: Tokyo
Day15: Tokyo to Singapore

(more info on the different types of Japan rail passes: Rail Passes in Japan)

:)
--Samantha
------

Last edited:
Reactions: eleveninth
Out of the places you have listed, I've been to Kanazawa, Shirakawa-go, Kyoto, Osaka & Nagoya (just near the station area).

Kanazawa: I feel that Kanazawa stay 1 night should be enough. Get the 1day Loop bus (500yen i think) for you to visit the tourist attractions in the town.

Nagoya: I only spent 2hrs at Nagoya to stopover for lunch in-between my train journey from Takayama to Kyoto. Me and hubby love to eat King crabs whenever we can when we go Japan and (‘nì‚©‚É—¿—@ŽD–y‚©‚É–{‰Æ@–kŠC“¹‚̐V‘N‚ȃJƒj‚ð‹ó—A’¼‘—) is our fav brand. They have a branch at Nagoya that's within 7mins walking distance from the train station. You might want to give it a try. I love their crab porridge (kani-zushi or something like that I think) and crab croquette.
See pics of our crab meal on my travel blog: Go Away, Sam...: Japan (Jul11) Day 7: Takayama to Kyoto via Nagoya

Kyoto: Go Kiyomizu-dera, Gion, Arashiyama (bamboo groves & scenic train), Fushimi Inari Shrine...wear comfy shoes. You'll need them :) Also there's 1 entire floor selling ramen & another floor with restaurants at the top 2 level of Isetan at Kyoto train station. There's also some food stalls at its basement.

Osaka: If you have extra time in Osaka, you might want to give Nara a visit in the morning-afternoon. Also I like to visit Tokyu Hands (a dept store) whenever I go Japan. They have branches at Osaka too, 1 at Osaka station itself which is on 9-11floor of Daimaru I think. Go online to check from their website before you fly. If you like donuts, try Krispy Kreme donut (there's a outlet at the basement of "Lucua" dept store at Osaka station).

Have you considered going Takayama? Personally I prefer Takayama over Kanazawa. Easy to take the 50mins bus ride from Takayama train station to Shirakawa-go as well. And Takayama is just a 2hr direct train (Ltd Exp Wide View Hida) from Nagoya to Takayama.

If you are getting JR pass and travelling by trains, it's best that you do your train reservations once you arrive at Japan. Because it's a super peak period over there (cuz the Japanese will also be travelling around during this time of the year) so reserve your tix as soon as you can for the rest of your trip.

-----

Hi , thanks very much for your reply, it helps a lot...
do you think its worth getting the JR pass for my intinerary? I have calculated on hyperdia website and it seems not quite worth it as a number of transport I be taking is excluded, but i might have miss something.
and
how and where do I make my train reservations?

btw, i will be stopping by takayama for lunch during my first day, as i will be traveling from nagoya to takayama then to shirakawago.

Hi , thanks very much for your reply, it helps a lot...
do you think its worth getting the JR pass for my intinerary? I have calculated on hyperdia website and it seems not quite worth it as a number of transport I be taking is excluded, but i might have miss something.
and
how and where do I make my train reservations?

btw, i will be stopping by takayama for lunch during my first day, as i will be traveling from nagoya to takayama then to shirakawago.

Hmm...tough question...since your itinerary doesnt really involves much shinkansen rides to make the pass worthwhile.

Do a calculation based on the rates from hyperdia.com , if the amount is quite close, just get the JR pass. Since if you happen to miss any train (weather conditions, woke up late, last minute change of plans...etc...), with JR pass you can simply rebook another ticket.

Have you checked the bus schedules from Takayama to Shirakawa-go? There's not many buses per day, and some departures are only available for weekends..etc, so do double check the schedule before you leave Singapore. Morever many people go to Shirakawa-go during winter and I've read of some people in the past who had problems getting the bus tickets (esp during winter) because they were sold out. You might want to prepare a backup route from Takayama to Kanazawa in case you can't get Shirakawa-go bus tickets and have to skip it altogether (keep fingers crossed). :)

I'm very "kiasu", so everytime before I go Japan, I'll prepare a print out of my choice of preferred train timings, and a set of backup train timings, because there will be times when you can't get the timing you wanted originally.

To make train reservations, once you have exchanged your JR pass (if you do get JR pass) using the JR pass voucher you'd have bought from Singapore, you will be able to start making JR train & shinkansen reservations at most of the major JR station's ticketing offices. The places you'll be going should have ticketing offices since they are popular tourist attractions.

I used this (Bus Timetable: Takayama - Shirakawago - Kanazawa) when I was planning for my trip back in July. You might want to take a look at the schedule there.

--Samantha :)

Hello guys!!

have not been surfing CS for a while and today just came in to look see look see... couldn't believe my luck when i saw this thread:D:D

Am heading to Osaka from 11 Jan till 19 Jan with my girlfriend but we have totally no clue where we should go or what to do.

Got some ideas of heading to the USS at Osaka, visiting tokyo and kyoto... but have no experience in planning such trips since it's the first time we travel so far alone..

Can bros here help with some recommendation for itinerary? Also, would getting the JR tourist ticket be worthwhile? Heard it is cheaper to buy it in SG?

Thanks guys!

--Ben

Hi guys,

I'm going to Osaka in may for a week and i'm planning to stay in Osaka throughout (as i found a hostel relatively cheap there as compared to staying in hostels in Kyoto) and then do several day trips to Kyoto and Nara. would this be recommended? and would 2 days of Osaka, 3 days of Kyoto and 1 day of Nara suffice? Is Kobe worth going?

Sorry for the many questions!

Do your homework before you go and wake up early to change the bus (I mean train). For the area you're covering a Kansai rail pass should be enough, cheaper. Cannot remember whether you can take/use the Shinkansen