Bokeh, Bokeh & More Bokeh!

Mmmm, donuts...;p
3271302587_baeae88409_b.jpg

a700 + 500mm/f8 @ 1/200s

Ah... Is the legend of The Circles of Confusion...

@300, Minolta 50mm F1.7 at 1.7

3299663227_cb38d3c130_o.jpg

I like this shot the best. I am gonna try it on my own. Looks Challenging. It would be great if the droplet is crisp clear instead of the tap.

ahaha yea... was using autofocus... and just snapping away... so it was focused on the tap .... and at f/1.4 doesnt leave much room for error...:bsmilie:

are all the bokeh pics pped ?? Or come out straight from camera ??

are all the bokeh pics pped ?? Or come out straight from camera ??

Most of them should be straight out of the camera with maybe only color tone corrections, but no additional blur added, otherwise it doesn't really count as bokeh. From what i can see, the only "questionable" entries are in post #8.

ahaha yea... was using autofocus... and just snapping away... so it was focused on the tap .... and at f/1.4 doesnt leave much room for error...:bsmilie:

Me think, if you set to f1.7 or f2.0, you may get clear image of the droplets, yet maintain bokeh background.

Maybe will try it at my home also. :)

Edit: Just have idea, maybe introduce an external light and take the picture of the droplets. We may get sparkle droplets. Good idea?

Last edited:
Most of them should be straight out of the camera with maybe only color tone corrections, but no additional blur added, otherwise it doesn't really count as bokeh. From what i can see, the only "questionable" entries are in post #8.

Hah which is the questionable one? Can quote?

A350, CZ16~80. @80 F5.6 + close up filter+4(2x)
DSC072951.jpg

i'm most impressed by this! not so much of the bokeh but i love the moment:thumbsup::thumbsup:

carl zeiss lenses seem very very good indeed :heart:(referring generally to the pictures posted here. use any crap lens, and if u get the moment right, u've got a great shot)

Last edited:
It looks to me like he used the "toyland" photoshop effect to achieve such a "thin" DOF. You'll also notice the OOF transition is not very gradual at all.

And if the shot in post 16 is at f/5, and the middle one in post 25 (with the VERY far background) has such mild OOF, I don't see how post 8, with the kit lens at f/5.6, is a "real" shot.

Ah bro,

I think I that only questionable looking entry of post #8 is actually... Validated... :bigeyes:

I just did an experiment with a 18-70 @ 70mm, @f5.6 on my A100 (backup camera)... that very narrow DOF is actually (woot) possible... provided that the focal distance very close to the MFD of that kit lens. :thumbsup:

Ah bro,

I think I that only questionable looking entry of post #8 is actually... Validated... :bigeyes:

I just did an experiment with a 18-70 @ 70mm, @f5.6 on my A100 (backup camera)... that very narrow DOF is actually (woot) possible... provided that the focal distance very close to the MFD of that kit lens. :thumbsup:

Ooh... Very interesting.

Not bad for kit lens! :cheergal:

Ah bro,

You're serious? Wow. My apologies to the poster then. :thumbsup: for the kit lens!

Here is the picture for you, bro Rashkae, I know that u don't have a kit lens and APS-C camera to test... so haha... well, it's not shot for beauty, just an experimentation... :)

DSC08784_1200_800.jpg

Placed a few coins on the bed. Camera is Flat on the bed, and shot at the settings mentioned on post #8, at close to the MFD of the Lens (because there is no distance scale, and I'm too lazy to get a ruler)

But you can see that the bokeh on the Post #8 grass is swishy, outlined and cluttered. Most toyland bokeh - is smooth, gaussian blur like - more like what you get from a STF lens.

Last edited:
You're serious? Wow. My apologies to the poster then. :thumbsup: for the kit lens!

Haha yeah lah... you too used to having (G) ood lens liao mah... hehe ;) :confused: :cool:

Haha yeah lah... you too used to having (G) ood lens liao mah... hehe ;) :confused: :cool:

I have an A200 as a spare, emergency body... But no kit lens. :embrass:

Hi pals...

Actually the alpha DT kit lens is somewhat underrated....very very underrated.
Based on my own expereince conducting classes with mix of students using different camera brand cameras...hahha you will be surprised to see that the Alpha 18-70 kit lens is the best among all of the rest of the kit lens of this range.

Although its construction is like one of those tic-tac box, well, hold your breath.....you will be surprise on how well the kit lens can render......great images and bokeh - especially at the 70mm point...

I can confidently say that its the best kit lens that I have ever seen!!!!!!in the entry level camera.....(ignoring its build and slight jerky movement at AF-lock). Maybe thanks to its ED glass...and asperical element at its rear...

rgds,
Sulhan

Hi pals...

Actually the alpha DT kit lens is somewhat underrated....very very underrated.
Based on my own expereince conducting classes with mix of students using different camera brand cameras...hahha you will be surprised to see that the Alpha 18-70 kit lens is the best among all of the rest of the kit lens of this range.

Although its construction is like one of those tic-tac box, well, hold your breath.....you will be surprise on how well the kit lens can render......great images and bokeh - especially at the 70mm point...

I can confidently say that its the best kit lens that I have ever seen!!!!!!in the entry level camera.....(ignoring its build and slight jerky movement at AF-lock). Maybe thanks to its ED glass...and asperical element at its rear...

rgds,
Sulhan

After hearing this
i feel so much better with my A200 and 18-70mm Kit lens
:thumbsup:

DPReview gives it thumbs down.