Best lens for image quality 24-75mm range??

Status
Not open for further replies.
nightwolf75 said:
the tokina 28-80mm/f2.8 is not a bad lens for its price range. had one b4. works just fine. can't really complain too much for a $400+ lens (on offer, back then, at CP). ;p one thing nice abt this lens is dat its internal focusing and zooming - great for those who loves to use polarizers. however, the 77mm filter size might be a killer, esp if u are going for high-quality filters. :sweat:

Is the Tokina a good buy compared to Tamron 28-70? Any comparison study which is better in terms of focusing speed and pic quality/sharpness? Looks like Tokina is cheapest in this category. I have no experience with Tokina before so it is a blackbox for me. Thanks. :think:

birefringence said:
1) Quite a while. I use the 17-40 mainly for landscape. 70-200 mostly for tele.

2) Yes. Try bring all 3.

In fact, a 28-300L f3.5-5.6 one for all lens will serve all needs but it is damn exp and heavy too. I dun like the variable aperture too.

If 28-300L heavy, I think carrying 3 lens will be worse?
IMHO, try to limit yourself to 17-40 for your events shoots (some say cover 80-90% of their photos)

Then move on and add 70-200 for those tele shoots.

Happy shooting (without buying :) more)

Snowcrash said:

Agree!!! I seldom carry more than 2 lenses when I shoot even though my heaviest lens weigh less than 800g ;p

birefringence said:
Is the Tokina a good buy compared to Tamron 28-70? Any comparison study which is better in terms of focusing speed and pic quality/sharpness? Looks like Tokina is cheapest in this category. I have no experience with Tokina before so it is a blackbox for me. Thanks. :think:

well, some tamron using frens of mine prefer the tamron cos is slightly quieter, and faster in the AF dept. also, they say tamron's images are sharper. i tested the tamron b4, and it seems to be true.

however, the adage of u get wat u pay for is worth remembering. tamron lens cost abt $200++ more than the tokina.

i picked the tokina in the end cos its value-for-money for a hobbist like me. it gets the images i wanted without blowing a hole in my wallet (btw, i'm not a 'die-die must use only original' shooter... :bsmilie: ). as i've mentioned, the internal focusing and zooming are a plus for me cos i use polarizers. plus, i love the sturdy construction of the tokina, compared to the slightly plasticky tamron. the weight added a bit of stability to both my ex 300D and 10D.

Snowcrash said:
If 28-300L heavy, I think carrying 3 lens will be worse?
IMHO, try to limit yourself to 17-40 for your events shoots (some say cover 80-90% of their photos)

Then move on and add 70-200 for those tele shoots.

Yeap... 3 lens is definitely worse. Very heavy siah! Like lugging 1 ton of stones.. :bsmilie:

mpenza said:
Agree!!! I seldom carry more than 2 lenses when I shoot even though my heaviest lens weigh less than 800g ;p

Snowcrash and mpenza, how abt 1.4x TC on 50/f1.4 prime or the 17-40/f4L. Ever consider that?

Lastly, I still have to carry one big fat 70-200/f2.8 IS. *sigh* :bsmilie:

nightwolf75 said:
well, some tamron using frens of mine prefer the tamron cos is slightly quieter, and faster in the AF dept. also, they say tamron's images are sharper. i tested the tamron b4, and it seems to be true.

however, the adage of u get wat u pay for is worth remembering. tamron lens cost abt $200++ more than the tokina.

i picked the tokina in the end cos its value-for-money for a hobbist like me. it gets the images i wanted without blowing a hole in my wallet (btw, i'm not a 'die-die must use only original' shooter... :bsmilie: ). as i've mentioned, the internal focusing and zooming are a plus for me cos i use polarizers. plus, i love the sturdy construction of the tokina, compared to the slightly plasticky tamron. the weight added a bit of stability to both my ex 300D and 10D.

Yeap, I read Tokina are more sturdy built. Handling is better... Hmmm.... how sharp is sharp? I am more confused now. 50 prime or zoom? :confused:

birefringence said:
Snowcrash and mpenza, how abt 1.4x TC on 50/f1.4 prime or the 17-40/f4L. Ever consider that?

I dun have the 50/1.4 but have tried Kenko Pro 300 1.4x (Canon's one won't work) on a 50/1.8. Results are not too good. The same tele when used with EF 100mm macro usm , EF 70-200 F4L and EF 200/2.8L produced very good results.

mpenza said:
I dun have the 50/1.4 but have tried Kenko Pro 300 1.4x (Canon's one won't work) on a 50/1.8. Results are not too good. The same tele when used with EF 100mm macro usm , EF 70-200 F4L and EF 200/2.8L produced very good results.

Yeap... Canon TCs have a protruding element. :( Just remembered. I tried 1.4x on 17-40 and shoot at the long end. Pic not as sharp. *sigh* Must dig money out of pocket to get a 28-70 /f2.8 zoom or a 50/f1.4 prime. ***shiong*** :sweat:

birefringence said:

why the hassle of 1.4x TC or even a 50/f1.4?

are you saying your 17-40L not enough range for your event shoot and that's why you want something like 24-70 / 28-70 f2.8?

Different people will have a different favourite lens. You have to discover yourself by giving enough time to shoot with the lens you have first.....

Personally i don't like heavy lense..... prefer prime....but for events still use my 19-35 or 28-70....

birefringence said:
Yeap, I read Tokina are more sturdy built. Handling is better... Hmmm.... how sharp is sharp? I am more confused now. 50 prime or zoom? :confused:

okie... dangerous terroritory... sharpness of a lens is highly dependent of many many factors. this is a whole new thread (or old, if u go and search) by itself. its sharp enuf for my purpose, ie i can safely enlarged to A4 (after USM in PS) without too much blurry edges.

one sample image from this lens (albit on a nikon cam. i can't find my old 10D pics taken with the tokina... ;) ) taken recently at sentosa. focal length of 31.0mm at f4.5. u can read the exif if u want.

queen.jpg

sharp enuf? :bsmilie:

nightwolf75 said:
okie... dangerous terroritory... sharpness of a lens is highly dependent of many many factors. this is a whole new thread (or old, if u go and search) by itself. its sharp enuf for my purpose, ie i can safely enlarged to A4 (after USM in PS) without too much blurry edges.

one sample image from this lens (albit on a nikon cam. i can't find my old 10D pics taken with the tokina... ;) ) taken recently at sentosa. focal length of 31.0mm at f4.5. u can read the exif if u want.

queen.jpg

sharp enuf? :bsmilie:

Is this handheld? Very sharp. This is quite low light, right? Hmmm... Cannot see the EXIF leh.

mpenza said:
get a 50/1.8 loh. cheap and good enough :)

Thanks but not sure why but seems that this lens hunts under low light too much when used on a 10D body like mine. Maybe on your 20D is better. I might need USM to increase my yield... hmmm... :)

Snowcrash said:
why the hassle of 1.4x TC or even a 50/f1.4?

are you saying your 17-40L not enough range for your event shoot and that's why you want something like 24-70 / 28-70 f2.8?

Thanks. Exactly... 40 to 70 is quite important especially when there is a crowd of photogs and you can't move... hehe... :bsmilie: 70-200 is too near the runway... I think 24-70 or even 28-70 is just nice on my 1.6x DSLR. Those with f2.8 will help a lot during indoor low lights. Can oso turn on flash, pump up ISO and shoot... :sweat:

birefringence said:
Is this handheld? Very sharp. This is quite low light, right? Hmmm... Cannot see the EXIF leh.

yes. hand-held. u can use PS Elements or CS to view under 'file info'.

nightwolf75 said:
yes. hand-held. u can use PS Elements or CS to view under 'file info'.

Still can't see the shutter speed :embrass: Can tell us? Thanks.

mpenza said:
runway... as in fashion runway? I use 70-200 most of the time for fashion shows.

You must have chopped some good location... hehe :) And read somewhere you are the guru of fashion photography *bow* *bow* :)

Status
Not open for further replies.