Best Film Camera

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the first place, what make you think that a P&S film cam can outperform your S45? SOmeone told you that or it had alread in your mind telling yourself that film is forever beating digital?

The fact is if you couldn't take a good pic using your S45, the problem is not purely from the cam, there are too many reasons to explain this...

My suggestion for you is to understand your cam, read the manual, show ppl your pic (here?) with your setting set, ppl here might be able to help you.

Frankly speaking, I think S45 is a good digicam indeed. And there is no way a $200 compact P&S cam can beat this baby in any way...

Sometimes, why ppl still prefer compact film cam cos they are easy to use but nowadays, the digicams in the market are too "powerful", they let you set the setting yourselves instead of setting by the camera's in-build computer. Thats y very ofter, ppl get blurred pic or under/over-exposed pic when they are using digicam and claim tat the cam is not as good as the compact film cam.

Just my 2 cents cos i see too many ppl cant take good pic using the advanced digicam whereas can deliver reasonable good pic when using compact P&S film cam,... simply because these ppl dont know their camera. :dunno:

Hope you dun get offended. ;)

if you're lucky, you might find a 2nd hand 50mm lens for under $100. if luck fails, it will be between $100-$130. anything more and you're better off buying a new one :thumbsup:

as for the slr, try posting a "WTB (Want To Buy)" in the forum and see what you can get?
good luck!

sumball said:
In the first place, what make you think that a P&S film cam can outperform your S45? SOmeone told you that or it had alread in your mind telling yourself that film is forever beating digital?

The fact is if you couldn't take a good pic using your S45, the problem is not purely from the cam, there are too many reasons to explain this...

My suggestion for you is to understand your cam, read the manual, show ppl your pic (here?) with your setting set, ppl here might be able to help you.

Frankly speaking, I think S45 is a good digicam indeed. And there is no way a $200 compact P&S cam can beat this baby in any way...

Sometimes, why ppl still prefer compact film cam cos they are easy to use but nowadays, the digicams in the market are too "powerful", they let you set the setting yourselves instead of setting by the camera's in-build computer. Thats y very ofter, ppl get blurred pic or under/over-exposed pic when they are using digicam and claim tat the cam is not as good as the compact film cam.

Just my 2 cents cos i see too many ppl cant take good pic using the advanced digicam whereas can deliver reasonable good pic when using compact P&S film cam,... simply because these ppl dont know their camera. :dunno:

Hope you dun get offended. ;)

First of all, rest easy to know I don't feel offended in any way. :) This is a forum and as such, I would love to hear all thoughts to be expressed frankly. I've been frank too in my posting.. in that I admit that I'm in love with my S45 but.. this camera really needs that *extra* effort to make sure that the pictures come out true, sharp and nice. Most times, I used the nightmode and always end up getting blurry orangy images... Hence the frustration although I only have myself to blame... I *must* have done something wrong.. or that maybe, I'm not familiar with all the functions of my S45.

I'm partial to film as digital photgraphy is easier & more enjoyable.. my S45 have served me well in my outdoor shots & my holidays abroad... but during the shooting of my models/brides in tight timing, I always fumble with my shots.

That's my main concern.. :embrass:

WTINY

wintertimeinnewyork said:
Hmmmm. Point noted. What's the approximate price range of a 2nd hand canon slr with a 50mm lens??

But, then again, you have to remember, the person who'll be shooting the pictures is an absolute idiot. :D

I have to shout out my RESPECT to all ClubSnapers! You people are terrific & camera-savy. :) :thumbsup:
WTINY

I think Canon EOS 88 is good :thumbsup: . Second hand selling at around hundred plus... with a kit lens. :bsmilie:

hmmm....cant expect instant results once u switch cameras rite....

i guess u should stick wif ya s45...learning to use its abilities is more impt....and with a little PS work, i am sure u can make better photos...

alot of ppl introducing SLR.....but i takes a seriously long and tedious way.....manual settings....DOF.....u have to know everything...till then....dun expect to make good shots (maybe tt's y my shots are screwed haha).....

yup...this forum is for learing...these are juz my two cents worth...dun mind...

anyway bout the eyelids makeup thing...u said tt the photos didnt come out as expected....y not....digital can see right away right....take till u get it lo....
mind posting the pic here\???

sumball said:
And there is no way a $200 compact P&S cam can beat this baby in any way...

I would beg to differ here. It all depends what you are using your camera to shoot.

Any digital compact short of a DSLR will not be a good choice to shoot with available at night/ indoors (i.e without flash).

If your images are "blurred and orangey", its likely due to camera shake. Is your shutter speed in those shots dropping down to 1/8s or even slower? Anything less than 1/30s is likely to end up "blurred".

Under those conditions, an Olympus Miu II (also called the Stylus in the USA) with Fuji NPZ800/ Fuji Pres800/ Fuji NPH400 film will produce better results. You will be able to shoot with much faster shutter speeds than with the S45.

Try, if possible, to shoot at the wide-angle end with the S45 at night/indoors. The telephoto end is much slower (i.e the more you zoom, the slower your shutter speed).

Most times, I used the nightmode and always end up getting blurry orangy images... Hence the frustration although I only have myself to blame... I *must* have done something wrong.. or that maybe, I'm not familiar with all the functions of my S45.
WTINY

See,... this is the problem. When you are using nightmode, the cam tends to set 1/15 or slower speed in order to capture more light, therefore.. for u to get a good pic, u need either a suficient lighting when taking ur shots or u need something like tripod or beanbag to sturdy your cam. by doing so, you will be impressed by the output tis baby delivers...

keep it up, keep shooting since taking digital photos is FREE! :D

First of all, thanks for welcoming me to CS. :)

Indeed, I agree that the S45 is a superb camera. My main problem, I'm a professional bridal make-up artist.. and many times, I have lots of problems trying to "grab" the colors on my models' or brides' faces.

Eg: Recently, I gave a lady a makeover... and applied green smokey eyes on her. The colors on her eyes were gorgeous, but alas, after many attempts of shooting her on my S45, I *just* can't capture the true colors on my digicam. The pictures were either too bright... or too grey-ashish. And, no, I wasnt using a tripod. :(

My budget is between $100 - $200. I just want a camera which can take great shots of my models/brides esp at night...

WTINY

Hi WTINY!

I'm using an S45 like you and I love the cam :) Don't change the camera! I believe the S45 can capture the colours you want, all you have to do is learn to use Photoshop and try your hand at colour correction. Or maybe use an bounced optical slave flash on S45's manual mode to even out the lighting, maybe add a reflector. I'm quite new at this too, but let me try to offer my 2 cts worth.

1) Learn how calibrate your monitor, this will ensure the accurate rendition of colours.

2) Learn to shoot in RAW on the S45. This will give you a much greater ability to adjust your pics to make sure the colours were as you have seen. If you are shooting with flash, the white balance will be a standard setting. But you can still change it.

Will PM you my email, if you like more help just drop me a note. Will try to help to the best I can. :)

Hi WTINY,

Re-reading your posts, I take a *guess* that you're shooting without flash. For indoor shots, the flash has to always be on.

The amibient light is the culprit that's making your pictures "orangy". The fact that there is not enough light is making the picture "blurry". = "blurry & orangy". :)

The flash will help to give you a neutral and truer colour. Now the trick is to capture some ambient light instead of seeing a black background.

The starters how about trying this next time you shoot your subject -

1) Set your S45 dial to Tv
2) Set your flash to "on"
3) Set your flash to 2nd-curtain sync via the menu
4) Set shutter speed to 1/30 or 1/25
5) Keep really still when you depress the trigger - hold your breath :)
6) Shoot!

If this still does not help to render your colours correctly, use photoshop to adjust the colours.

Hope this helps! :)

Ahah! *writes down zaren's recommendation*

An Olympus Mju II... Are you referring to the Zoom 80 or Zoom 170 (whatever that means... :embrass: )? Thanks!!

WTINY

hi WTINY

i'm referring to the non-zoom camera with fixed focal length of 35mm (which was also mentioned by another person in this thread).

anyway, after re-reading your original post, it sounds like you are having problems getting the right exposure with your S45. why don't you try using the spot metering mode in your S45 which should give you the correct exposure based on a very small zone (e.g. the model's face/eyes) ?

:)

*drool*

I've just read a few reviews on this camera. *Very* tempting... but way too expensive for me. :(

WTINY

There is one film camera that has got no match for performance and price - the Olympus mju II - 35mm F2.8 lens, and cost about just a tad less than 200 bucks. It can even put some SLR lenses to shame! Simple point and shoot that fits your bill. Go give it a try or borrow from some kind souls.

Any good working camera with shutter and aperture knot u can set and maybe a working light meter and most importantly the person using it. :)

Give Michael Yamashita a decent camera, he will produce the same result.

You mentioned not getting the "true color", may I know if you have set the white balance using grey card?

One major advantage of digital over film is white balancing. Bare in mind that with film, you first need a color meter (very expensive) to check the color temp. Than use the color correction filters (which you may not have ready on hand).

It gets more complicated if you use flash. eg in a room lited by flouracent lamp. Then you need to color correction filter on flash and on lens.

May be you just need a grey card and pay more attention to the white balancing when taking night shot.

Just my 2cent worth. May be the more advance photog can correct me if I am wrong. Thanks.
Hi fellow ClubSnappers,

I must be the newest member in this forum. Been reading the posts regularly and I must say that this forum is very useful & friendly.

I'm a PowerShot s45 user but lately, I have problems with shooting at night.. Pictures doesnt come out in true colors..

I've been thinking of getting a new film camera... nothing fancy, just a camera that can shoot great pictures... Any recs? Thanks. :)

WTINY

whoelse said:
Any good working camera with shutter and aperture knot u can set and maybe a working light meter and most importantly the person using it. :)

Give Michael Yamashita a decent camera, he will produce the same result.

give michael yamashita a disposable camera, and he'll still produce a cracker of a shot.

lutz said:
Hi WTINY,

Re-reading your posts, I take a *guess* that you're shooting without flash. For indoor shots, the flash has to always be on.

The amibient light is the culprit that's making your pictures "orangy". The fact that there is not enough light is making the picture "blurry". = "blurry & orangy". :)

The flash will help to give you a neutral and truer colour. Now the trick is to capture some ambient light instead of seeing a black background.

The starters how about trying this next time you shoot your subject -

1) Set your S45 dial to Tv
2) Set your flash to "on"
3) Set your flash to 2nd-curtain sync via the menu
4) Set shutter speed to 1/30 or 1/25
5) Keep really still when you depress the trigger - hold your breath :)
6) Shoot!

If this still does not help to render your colours correctly, use photoshop to adjust the colours.

Hope this helps! :)

hello lutz,

those tips are very helpful. i'm printing them out and will try to shoot my pics tonite using yr tips. will update in this forum of the results. :)

WTINY

LKSC said:
I would beg to differ here. It all depends what you are using your camera to shoot.

Any digital compact short of a DSLR will not be a good choice to shoot with available at night/ indoors (i.e without flash).

If your images are "blurred and orangey", its likely due to camera shake. Is your shutter speed in those shots dropping down to 1/8s or even slower? Anything less than 1/30s is likely to end up "blurred".

Under those conditions, an Olympus Miu II (also called the Stylus in the USA) with Fuji NPZ800/ Fuji Pres800/ Fuji NPH400 film will produce better results. You will be able to shoot with much faster shutter speeds than with the S45.

Try, if possible, to shoot at the wide-angle end with the S45 at night/indoors. The telephoto end is much slower (i.e the more you zoom, the slower your shutter speed).

Another good info here LKSC. Thanks. Reading your last para, I usually zoom my lens to cradle just my model's face... Now, I know that the more I zoom, the slower my shutter speed. I learn new things every day. Thanks. :)

In the meantime, your recommendation for an Olympus Miu II is noted. Will definitely find out more about this camera before deciding on my purchase.

WTINY

zaren said:
hi WTINY

i'm referring to the non-zoom camera with fixed focal length of 35mm (which was also mentioned by another person in this thread).

anyway, after re-reading your original post, it sounds like you are having problems getting the right exposure with your S45. why don't you try using the spot metering mode in your S45 which should give you the correct exposure based on a very small zone (e.g. the model's face/eyes) ?

:)

I see.. I see. Previously, I got a lil' confused coz Olympus Mju II got several cameras.

Yes... You're right. I admit that I having been using my S45 to its fullest (been relying on it Auto & Nightmode functions :embrass: ) I'll try to use play around with my S45 tonight using the spot metering mode. Will let you know of the results soon. Thanks again. :)

WTINY

Witness said:
hmmm....cant expect instant results once u switch cameras rite....

i guess u should stick wif ya s45...learning to use its abilities is more impt....and with a little PS work, i am sure u can make better photos...

alot of ppl introducing SLR.....but i takes a seriously long and tedious way.....manual settings....DOF.....u have to know everything...till then....dun expect to make good shots (maybe tt's y my shots are screwed haha).....

anyway bout the eyelids makeup thing...u said tt the photos didnt come out as expected....y not....digital can see right away right....take till u get it lo....
mind posting the pic here\???

Hi Witness. You are quite right when you said that results would not be instantaneous, I wholly agree with you. To be frank, I'm *very* intimidated by those big black camera with huge lens.. I'm almost certain that I'll take at least my entire lifetime to be able to capture nice shots using SLRs. LOL!

Example: My model has tanned skin... with green smokey eyes, blusher and all the works. I usually fumbled with these 2 modes:-
1. Night mode - Results: Orangy & Blurry (Explanation by lutz will help - will try lutz's suggestion tonight); and
2. Auto mode - Results: Very bright. Cannot see the eyeshadow, blusher... even a part of her nose is gone. LOL!).

WTINY

Another good info here LKSC. Thanks. Reading your last para, I usually zoom my lens to cradle just my model's face... Now, I know that the more I zoom, the slower my shutter speed. I learn new things every day. Thanks. :)

In the meantime, your recommendation for an Olympus Miu II is noted. Will definitely find out more about this camera before deciding on my purchase.

WTINY

Youre welcome WTINY (BTW, are you in NY?)

On the subject of camera shake, one accessory that I have found very useful for getting a steady shot at night is something called "The Pod" (http://www.thepod.ca/content/pod.html).

Photographers have for a long time been using bean bags to support their cameras. The twist with "The Pod" is there is a standard 1/4 inch screw attached to the bean bag so your camera can be screwed on. You can then use any hard surface as support for your pod and camera (wall, door, table, chair, staircase railing, side view mirror). Its very versatile and cheaper than a good tripod and Ive gotten excellent results with it. But be aware that unless your subect is posing, the image of your subject may still be blurred if shutter speed drops below 1/8s (most people just cant stay still for long)

Status
Not open for further replies.