BayBeats Photographer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Simply put it: I don't want to pay and I want a good one. Go and don't come back until you meet my requirements.

Good point Hazmee. If I may add: "I don't want to pay you and I want a good one. Go and don't come back until you meet my requirements. Also, I own all rights to your pictures so you can't use them."

plus you don't mess with the zohan. hoheha

Also, even if you're a non profit organisation, the people in the organisation get paid. Either self funded, or through government grants, or through a commission budget. It's not likely self funded, i.e. out of their own pockets. I especially hate it when they trundle out the passion argument. So forget it, not going to even think about this bs.

Now, this is just for discussion sake.

You do it. You give them a few of the shots. You also post them in CS and in your portfolio.

They are not so happy that you post them. Can they sue you? They cannot afford to pay you, but they might spend 10x the amount to hire a lawyer to sue you! :thumbsd: This is ridiculous. :thumbsd:

Now, this is just for discussion sake.

You do it. You give them a few of the shots. You also post them in CS and in your portfolio.

They are not so happy that you post them. Can they sue you? They cannot afford to pay you, but they might spend 10x the amount to hire a lawyer to sue you! :thumbsd: This is ridiculous. :thumbsd:

Why the hell would they not be happy about you posting the pictures?

Yo bros out there . . . I have email to the Esplanade Management to seek their opinion for putting up the Advertisement for the aquiring of photographers for the Baybeat 2008.

This reply was written by Ms Veronica Goh of Esplanade Management (Manager, Corporate Communications & Public Affairs),

Just to share with you our objectives of this Baybeats activity - Basically we wanted to provide an opportunity for young, aspiring photographers to get first hand experience in shooting live concerts. We target mainly amateurs who have little or no experience in this area but show great potential and interest. To add onto the learning experience of the selected ones, we will also provide them with creative briefs and information on the performing groups so that they have a clearer idea of the groups. It's more a learning opportunity we hope to provide, using Baybeats as a platform.

When we do use their photos, the photographers are always credited. For this time round, their pictures will be featured in the Baybeats Photo Gallery next year.
The photographers are also at liberty to use the photos and add them to their own portfolios – we’re all for that since it’ll help them profile themselves better. We just need to be notified and credited accordingly.

For professional photography, we do engage a different set of professional photographers for the festival and they are paid for their services.

Hope this clarifies somewhat our position.

Thank you and hope to see you at Baybeats soon!

Hope this will solve the contradiction. ;)

Yo bros out there . . . I have email to the Esplanade Management to seek their opinion for putting up the Advertisement for the aquiring of photographers for the Baybeat 2008.

This reply was written by Ms Veronica Goh of Esplanade Management (Manager, Corporate Communications & Public Affairs),

Hope this will solve the contradiction. ;)

No offense, Veronica Goh told you so but their black and white says Esplanade reserves all rights to the photograph. That supercedes whatever she told you.

No offense, Veronica Goh told you so but their black and white says Esplanade reserves all rights to the photograph. That supercedes whatever she told you.

If she reserves the rights to the photos taken by the unpaid amateur photographers, then I will sent the email she sent to me to the CASE or STB and also the SPH to stomp their actions. :devil:

hey guys.. sorry to butt in here and i may be out of point here and there, but anyway to those who are NOT worried about

"black and white says Esplanade reserves all rights to the photograph" all that kinda thing.

thing is.. that of all the years i've shot at baybeats under WMUM. i've never once seen esplanade go after anyone for posting up their own pics and using it for band press here and there. hack you can event use it for competitions...

but it is still a pain that they keep the rights. =\

i won't go as far as to say that i know how it all goes..

but the only bitch parts about signing up is that you get rostered and told what to shoot when to shoot, so you can't like shoot your favorite local band what not and you'll have to upload the pics you've shot on the night itself after the days event (about 11is to 12am) at the esplande office, this is so that they can upload it onto the website ASAP.

and yes there's the money part. but then again what local gigs pay for photography? i'm not saying EVERY gig doesn't pay. but it doesn't come by often.

so so so. what the lady from esplanade said in the email she speaks truth..

oh fyi.. bum if you guys know him from here was selected in one of this in 2005 i think. and the following year 2006 they hired him as one of the PROs.or it might be 2006,2007 but you get what i mean... got paid and all.. i think he got paid.. at least i remember him saying something about it.

cheers mates. enjoy this year's event. :think:

i sooo hate typing.. :confused:

Sorry, I'm totally newbies to this what "BayBeats". What's the big deal about it, that could interest so many people here? Got free naked girls to shoot? No, I mean you can take pictures of them? Got free this, free that? Please lah! If no one bother about it, see will they still "hang up and sell"?

just pop by

Take it easy guys. :)

Why do you guys keep jumping on no recognition etc. It's stated that credit will be given to the photographers.

In exchange for the pass and the given credit, the photog gives up the rights to the image. It is up to him/her to decide if that is a reasonable enough deal. For the full-time professional, this would usually be an unacceptable scenario, one still needs $ to buy rice and pay the bills.

But for the budding photog venturing into gig photography, this is a good opportunity to touch base with organisers, bands, people-that-matter, etc. Passes to shows don't come free (even though Baybeats in itself is a free event). Being able to shoot behind the barrier is a real luxury for gig photogs. The mosh pit can get really rowdy with a high chance of your equipment getting damaged somehow. The jostling will also compound your problems.

To secure a paid job to shoot a gig... you first need that nice looking portfolio. How best to get that? Sneaking cams in, jostling with the crowd is one way to go. But a great majority of the magnificent shots come from behind the barrier. How to get there? You need a pass. Plain and simple.

Anyway, i have to agree with Yatlapball - it's a great opportunity to network and gain some experience. If your photos come out well, and the bands like it, you might be hired by them for their photoshoot/gig the next time.

I'd submit my shots, except I haven't got some nice gig shots yet. But still, I'll prob head down to Baybeats to take some photos... =)

-"Always look on the bright side of life."

what if, Esplanade has no rights to the photographs to reserve...... :bsmilie:

Sorry, I'm totally newbies to this what "BayBeats". What's the big deal about it, that could interest so many people here? Got free naked girls to shoot? No, I mean you can take pictures of them? Got free this, free that? Please lah! If no one bother about it, see will they still "hang up and sell"?
how shallow can u get? haha.

Big Profitable Organisation Needs Free Labour.

Status
Not open for further replies.