Battery Grip - 60D

MamboJambo

Jan 18, 2011
Hi There, I am a noob, i have heard many talks about Battery Grip and i have searched for BG. But found nothing except talking about extension of Battery power. What else does it help? heard that it improve the Shutter Speed, but I have no clue.

Would someone give me a insight to whether should i get one of this and what would i get for feature other than extension of power to the camera.

Thanks.;)

Hi MamboJambo, the batt grip will extend your battery life when you have two batteries inside. Other than that, when you rotate your cam vertically to take portrait shots, it helps you to keep your arms close to your body with a shutter button on the grip itself.

for some of Nikon's battery grips, such as for Nikon D300, burst rate will be increased (from 6fps to 8fps). however for Canon 60D's battery grip, burst rate will remain the same at 5.3fps. benefits are as stated in TheoDR's above post. :)

Hi There, I am a noob, i have heard many talks about Battery Grip and i have searched for BG. But found nothing except talking about extension of Battery power. What else does it help? heard that it improve the Shutter Speed, but I have no clue.

Would someone give me a insight to whether should i get one of this and what would i get for feature other than extension of power to the camera.

Thanks.;)

The plus pt for me when on a BG is the flexibility of taking portrait shots with your hands holding the camera in a more natural manner.

Guess if you have really big hands, will help with grip. Mainly for quick and comfortable portrait shots.

Or just to appear pro to people who don't know much about cameras.

Thanks guys and gals(if any) for the information. Saw that reddot photo do sell a third party grip, anyone use it before? If yes, what is your comment?

Thanks ya! :mad:)

consider original? shouldn't go wrong with original. :)

Additional weight could be an issue to some.

So far what I read is that 3rd party just as good. There's always this chance of getting a bad one whether 3rd party or original according to testimonies I read. Canon dont seem to honor any damages to the camera due to any battery grips including theirs.

The other thing is the plastic finishing for 3rd party grips would be slightly different from your camera body. Not as seamless as the original. Might be an issue to some.

So far what I read is that 3rd party just as good. There's always this chance of getting a bad one whether 3rd party or original according to testimonies I read. Canon dont seem to honor any damages to the camera due to any battery grips including theirs.

The other thing is the plastic finishing for 3rd party grips would be slightly different from your camera body. Not as seamless as the original. Might be an issue to some.

For some occassions (e.g. Simple dinner gathering) when I didn't want to bring a big camera bag, I would use the free Canon Bag (quite small), which the grip will have alittle bit of issue fitting in (thou still can fit in), but my fat hands have problems "pulling" the camera out.

So far Phottix BG feel and grip is quite good..But nothing beats the feel of original Canon BG. And ya, there's no warranty for Canon BG.This i confirm with one of the CSC staff i called the other time to check.

Thanks Guy... I think I wanted to get one because i like to shoot portrait and it will be good for me. think i will get an original but looking at bns section.

For some occassions (e.g. Simple dinner gathering) when I didn't want to bring a big camera bag, I would use the free Canon Bag (quite small), which the grip will have alittle bit of issue fitting in (thou still can fit in), but my fat hands have problems "pulling" the camera out.

agree with SkyStrike. having the battery grip on, you'll then have to make sure that you setup can fit into the camera bag that you're using, as not all camera bags are catered for a camera body with battery grip attached. or you might need a slightly longer time trying to arrange your setup such that it can fit nicely into the camera bag. otherwise you can take note of this when shopping for a camera bag, and best if you bring your setup down to test the bag.

had to sell of one of my smaller bags when I bought the battery grip.

alternatively you can remove the battery grip with storing equipment in your bag, but it might be quite a hassle.

cheers! :)

Okay noted with thanks. I am in the midst of shopping for camera bag. Will consider BG housing as well.

Okay noted with thanks. I am in the midst of shopping for camera bag. Will consider BG housing as well.

Don't think too hard about the bag...Normally we will all end up with more than 1 bag. (Different bags for different occasions). It's not all the time you need the battery grip on I guess.

Don't think too hard about the bag...Normally we will all end up with more than 1 bag. (Different bags for different occasions). It's not all the time you need the battery grip on I guess.

very true! :bsmilie:

but just take note that not all bags can house a dslr body with battery grip attached.

have fun shopping. :bsmilie:

This is like me, i collect bags based on shooting purposes. I always have a compact bag catered for shooting without grip, a bag to hold with a grip and a bag to hold with a laptop and the camera.